Skip to main content

I am currently a Sophomore, and I'm the Captain of my school's JV Baseball Team. I've been emailing a few coaches, and telling them about my interest for their school, and baseball program. I play on an elite travel team in the fall, and summer. We play in Dynamic Baseball tournaments, at many college campuses around Virginia, and other neighboring states. I play legion ball as well. What can I do to get my name on the radar, and get some interests from college coaches? Any suggestions for a Sophomore?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

DynamicBaller,

You are asking the right questions, and doing the right things. 

Getting on a high exposure travel team is a great start.  As you are getting closer to your junior year it is important to really think about the type of college  you want to attend.  This will have a dramatic effect on the types of programs that you reach out to let them know you are interested.  Dynamic events & showcases are geared toward Division 1 schools.  Legion baseball is geared toward local schools. So, your current exposure level is D1 around Virginia and local colleges.  By my count, your exposure plan would get you in front of a dozen or so colleges and many of those are in the ACC.  That is some very "tough sledding", but if you have that national talent level -- go for it. 

If you want to stay local to Virginia you may want to consider some D2 or D3 schools.   If you want to play D1 you may want to extend your geography beyond VA.  Most of us in Virginia have been programmed that the only baseball in Virginia is ACC baseball.  Nothing can be further from the truth. THere are about 298 D1 schools across the country.   There are a lot of options and you have a lot of time.  Take the time to learn about your options,  and focus on those activities (travel baseball, camps, showcases) that will get you in front of those schools that meet your athletic and academic requirements.  For some people, the right showcase can mean everything.  My oldest son played on a national championship travel ball team (VA), but it wasn't until he attended an academic showcase that he really found the best situation for him.  Travel teams are good, but they are only good if they are getting you in front of the right interested schools. There are many, many options to get you in front of the right people.  Ask questions, and research this topic.

I would approach your travel coach to tell him about the types of schools you are interested in.  He may be able to open some doors for you.  In addition, attending some camps would give you a sense for a particular college.  Your junior year has the potential to be  unbelievably busy, so I would start doing these things now.  In addition, keep those grades up and continue to work hard on your skill development, speed and strength.

Please feel free to send me a personal message through the Dialogs button if you have questions.  Good luck.

Originally Posted by DynamicBaller:

I am currently a Sophomore,

Dynamic, I am confused. Are you a sophomore or a senior? You have another thread asking if it's to late for a senoir.

For what it's worth, there are a lot of coaches other than D1, ACC that attend Dynamic Tournaments. If you're on a High level travel team (CANES, Braves, Stars, MA Redsox) your coaches know the college coaches and can give you the best feedback about your fit and which school's camps you should attend to cultivate the important relationships.

Also, have a 2015 RHP and not worried yet about recruiting. If you'll notice, PG does not even list 2015 College committments. While there are a few who have made verbals, most programs are focused on finalizing their 2013 and building their 2014 roster.

Last edited by mcmmccm

I hate to say this but keep in mind a lot of showcase events at colleges are the colleges way of renting their field out and making some money..playing at colleges does not mean you are being scene by many colleges. 

What level is your school playing? Most college bound players would be on varsity unless their school is loaded.However as a captain sounds like your on the right track.  If you want to get your name out make an impact that other coaches will notice as well. Word travels. Also knowing most camps are also money makers you can still pinpoint camps where you have an interest and send a email or have your high school coach contact them and alert them your coming.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.