Skip to main content

Just got back from Stanford.  Having read the All Star Camp thread, I thought it might be helpful to start a Futures Camp thread.

Camp was for 2017 and 2018s.  Most of the 200 kids were 2017s but I'd say 20-30% were 2018s.  Best guess, anyway.  The format sounds much the same as the All Star camp, but with half the number of kids (200) and teams (12), the 30-35 schools in attendance had an easier time watching the kids.  2 out of 3 games were at the Sunken Diamond.  The third game was at Palo Alto HS across the street. The hs field was nice (by our local standards), and at my 2017s game there, coaches from Kansas, Cal Tech, Dartmouth, Harvard, and Stanford's very own Coach Marquess were the ones I recognized. There were at least three other coaches in attendance but I couldn't tell where they were from. Despite not being at the main field, I thought the game at the HS was better represented by coaches than I heard it would be.

After the opening day 45-minute talk by Camp Director Coach Stotz, (which was pretty good, discussing the odds of playing college, minor league and in the majors, how to prep for the SAT and ACT (get a baseline score, target your weakest areas and be prepared to take it several times), how competitive admissions are at the more academic schools, how to look for a good fit in the college search, and other academic info, the daily format was the same content wise, though its sequence varied depending on the team.  Teams are coached by one of the coaches from the school the team is named for. 2017 played for Harvard at the camp, and his coach was a Harvard assistant.  Other teams were coached by head coaches.  Daily schedule included an hour of defensive work (outfielders and infielders in two groups), an hour of conditioning (one day of which had timed 30-yd and 60 yd. dashes), and an hour of hitting.  Two teams did each station at the same time throughout the day.

Defensive work: 2017 is an outfielder so I didn't see the infield drills.  Outfielder had a day where they were filmed catching fly balls and throwing home, as well as grounders.  Film and instruction was focused on footwork, ball transfer, receiving position.  On another day the boys were timed from the instant the boys broke toward a hard hit grounder right to them to the instant the ball was released.

Hitting: wide variety of soft toss, tee work, and live pitching.  Kids were filmed hitting live pitching from several angles, and there was one station where they attached a small device to the knob of the bat and measured all sorts of metrics that were supposed to help the batter know whether he should swing a 33 or a 34.  I have no idea how it works, but we're supposed to get feedback on it.

Parents can watch all drills, but are usually separated from the group of kids by a fence.  The kids are far enough away that hearing anything being said by the coaches is difficult.

Not sure if this was true for each team but our team had its three hours of practice before each of our games.

Game format: counts start at one and one.  Each games was ten innings, six hitters maximum per inning, and game ended after two hours.

Batting order for our team was simply by position (pitcher was first hitter, Catcher second, first baseman third, etc.) the first two games.  

Both of those games ended with two kids only getting up twice, so for the third game, the coach had those two hitters bat 1 and 2 so the abs had a chance to even out.  Son got up 8 times in three games, but one of those at bats was a walk, which allowed him an extra at bat.  If you walk, a designated runner takes your spot at first, so you can try to still get a hit.  A second walk in the same at bat allows the batter to go ahead and take first.

Son was one of only three outfielders on the team, so all three got to play every inning of the camp.  There were many more infielders/catchers so coaches moved them around during the game.  I couldn't tell how many innings kids were getting at particular infield positions, but one mom complained to me after the second game that her son had only played 2 innings at his best position.  She was upset but I'm not sure if it led to anything.  Our team had 4 first basemen, so the most innings anyone got there in a particular game was three.

Games were very competitive and low scoring for my son's team.  Highest score was 5-4.

highest velo pitching I saw: 84.  Most pitchers were around 80, or slightly less.  

We were fortunate to have the Saturday night game, the second day of the camp.  There were no other drills/practices going on, so there were a lot of coaches in the stands for that game, all busy writing notes.  The Sunday afternoon Sunken Stadium game (the last day) did not have any practices going on at the same time either, but there were very few scouts in the stands. Not sure why.

Meeting coaches did not happen unless the coaches ran the kids' drill.  Then there was some discussion but mostly just instruction.

Son sought out three coaches he had written to before hand but as others have said the coaches are there to analyze and not schmooze.  Coaches non committal when talking with kids. I saw very few parents approach coaches.  The only contact I had with coaches was when a few, individually, would ask the group of parents we were with what school our caps represented.  

We were happy with 2017s experience and so was he.  Strongly considering All Star Camp for next year. Happy to give more info.

SCHOOLS AT FUTURE STARS CAMP

ABILENE CHRISTIAN UNIVERSITY
ARMY
BROWN
BUCKNELL
CHICO STATE
COLUMBIA
CORNELL
DARTMOUTH
EASTERN MICHIGAN
FRANKLIN & MARSHALL
GEORGETOWN
GRINNELL COLLEGE
HARVARD
HOLY CROSS
KANSAS
LEWIS AND CLARK
BUTLER
MISSOURI
NAVAL ACADEMY
PACIFIC UNIVERSITY
PENN
PENN STATE
POMONA
PUGET SOUND
SANTA CLARA
STANFORD STAFF
TRINITY UNIVERSITY
UC DAVIS
UC RIVERSIDE
UNIVERISTY OF TEXAS AT DALLAS
UOP
USF
WAKE FOREST
WASHINGTON COLLEGE
WESTMONT

"Don't be mean now because remember: Wherever you go, there you are..." Buckaroo Banzai

Last edited by smokeminside
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

my 2017 just received his hitting and defensive video clips. Supposed to have commentary but can barely hear anything.  Disappointing, but not that big a deal. The visuals will help.

Just wondering if anyone has gotten these kind of video clips before and whether they can be used to put together a skills video?  Or, should we just create one from scratch?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by smokeminside:

my 2017 just received his hitting and defensive video clips. Supposed to have commentary but can barely hear anything.  Disappointing, but not that big a deal. The visuals will help.

Just wondering if anyone has gotten these kind of video clips before and whether they can be used to put together a skills video?  Or, should we just create one from scratch?

Thanks!

We just got ours. Not much really in instruction on the hitting part. A little better on the defensive catching part. I would make your own

Overall smokem gives a great assessment of the camp, and our 2018 really got a lot out of it as well. A few schools also attended that were missed on the above list: Stevens, MIT, St. John Fisher & San Jose State. 

We just got the video clips as well, very clear voice over on the hitting, no commentary on the 30 / 60 sprints or fielding drills. It was a very positive experience overall, and after facing three days of 2017 kids pitching, his coming back to the sophomore high school & travel team this week he has been full of confidence. Guys throwing 15 MPH slower than what he faced over the weekend. 

Question about Stanford All-Star camp:

They sent out a list of coaches who are "working the camp."  Are these the ONLY coaches who will be in attendance or will there be other coaches there besides the ones listed as "working the camp?" 

I'm hoping for more than just the ones listed as working the camp, as there's only 3 that I could possibly see my student athlete attending. That's an expensive trip for 3 schools.  Looks like other Stanford camps this summer had a longer list of schools. 

I've heard such great things about this camp for years, finally going tomorrow, and am not blown away by list most recently sent out. 

Last edited by #1 Assistant Coach

In my experience at Futures last year and All Star this year, the coaches listed by Coach Stotz were those that attended.  It's a diverse set of schools, yet fairly small compared to what I remembered in 2010 and 2011.

Headfirst on Long Island in 2011 had about 50+ coaches listed on their web site.  There were at least another 25-35 schools attending that weren't listed.  Looking forward to see how that event has changed (or not) in 2015.

Originally Posted by #1 Assistant Coach:

Question about Stanford All-Star camp:

They sent out a list of coaches who are "working the camp."  Are these the ONLY coaches who will be in attendance or will there be other coaches there besides the ones listed as "working the camp?" 

I'm hoping for more than just the ones listed as working the camp, as there's only 3 that I could possibly see my student athlete attending. That's an expensive trip for 3 schools.  Looks like other Stanford camps this summer had a longer list of schools. 

I've heard such great things about this camp for years, finally going tomorrow, and am not blown away by list most recently sent out. 

so you're going to All Star camp #2, correct?  I missed what year your son is graduating.

Re: which coaches are there: The list for the Future Stars camp seemed pretty accurate as far as who I saw there.  Son's team was Coached by Harvard asst, UC Davis asst oversaw his defensive drills; the conditioning drills were supervised by a Bucknell coach; the hitting drills were supervised by Stanford and Grinnell coaches.  They were all on the list of colleges attending.  The only coach I saw for sure that wasn't on the list we were sent was the coach from that hotbed of intellectual talent, Cal Tech.

The camp is good: efficient, a fair amount of instruction, coaches running every drill, and the games are fun.

Would you mind posting the list of attending colleges for your camp?  Very curious about how the all star camps differ from the future stars camp.

Hope tomorrow goes well for you, #1, and everyone else at Stanford this week.

Originally Posted by 2019Dad:

Great input, smokeminside and the other posters, and much appreciated by those a year or two behind. Thank you.

Thanks for the props.  I have a 2019 (and a 2022) along with my 2017. So I'll be going through all this alongside you, too.  I've found the process incredibly consuming, but I'm a researchaholic. It's alternately exciting and depressing discovering new info all the time. 

Originally Posted by Branson Baseball:

In my experience at Futures last year and All Star this year, the coaches listed by Coach Stotz were those that attended.  It's a diverse set of schools, yet fairly small compared to what I remembered in 2010 and 2011.

Headfirst on Long Island in 2011 had about 50+ coaches listed on their web site.  There were at least another 25-35 schools attending that weren't listed.  Looking forward to see how that event has changed (or not) in 2015.

Considering long island next year, so anxious to hear about your experience.  Hope it goes well!

We've gotten a few generic camp invites.  Nothing else, but I'm hoping some of that has to do with the NCAA rules about initiating contact with Kids.

Ok, I'm a bit confused about this…One of the selling points of this camp is the rich list of college coaches working or in attendance, and your son reached out to a few of them to let him know he'd be there and sought them out at the camp - all this makes perfect sense and suggests that a major point of going to this camp is exposure and getting the recruiting process started.  So what's the point of sending a 2017 or 2018 if there can be no follow-up contact for a year or two?  I would have thought that even though college coaches can't contact the player directly he could reach out to the travel ball or HS coach and get a dialog going.  My kid is a couple years behind yours so I'm in learning mode and trying to understand all this.

Rec'd this last night for All-Star Camp II:

SCHOOLS WORKING CAMP

TEAM COACHES

SCHOOL

BRITT BONNEAU 

ABILENE CHRISTIAN

BRIAN HAMM

AMHERST

ANDY SALVATORE

BARD

BILL MURPHY

BROWN

SCOTT LAVERTY 

CHAPMAN

EVAN WELLS 

DARTMOUTH

BRYAN STARK

HARVARD

ANDREW THAMES

HENDRIX

RON RAKOWSKI 

HOLY CROSS

RICHIE PRICE

KANSAS

MIKE KINKENON

LEWIS AND CLARK

DAVE TUFO

MENLO

NICK GALLAGHER 

MIT

KAINOA CORREA 

NORTHERN COLORADO

NATE RASMUSSEN

PACIFIC

JOSH SCHWARTZ

PENN

JAKE AYERS

POMONA

CRAIG DRIVER 

PUGET SOUND

JIM MCGONIGLE  

ROLLINS COLLEGE

TOM KUNIS 

SAN JOSE STATE

NICK ENRIQUEZ

SAN JOSE STATE

JAKE VALENTINE

SANTA CLARA

MATT FONTENO

ST MARYS

RUSTY FILTER

STANFORD

JON KARSICH

STANFORD

BROCK UNGRICHT

STANFORD

KRISTAPS ALDINS

STEVENS

JC BUNCH

TRINITY UNIVERSITY

BRETT LINDGREN

UC DAVIS

JIM MEUEL 

UC DAVIS

JOHN FITZGERALD

UNIV OF CHICAGO

MATT HISERMAN

USF

TONY COUGOULE 

WESTMONT

MATT HUSTED  

WHEATON 

Originally Posted by Smitty28:

We've gotten a few generic camp invites.  Nothing else, but I'm hoping some of that has to do with the NCAA rules about initiating contact with Kids.

Ok, I'm a bit confused about this…One of the selling points of this camp is the rich list of college coaches working or in attendance, and your son reached out to a few of them to let him know he'd be there and sought them out at the camp - all this makes perfect sense and suggests that a major point of going to this camp is exposure and getting the recruiting process started.  So what's the point of sending a 2017 or 2018 if there can be no follow-up contact for a year or two?  I would have thought that even though college coaches can't contact the player directly he could reach out to the travel ball or HS coach and get a dialog going.  My kid is a couple years behind yours so I'm in learning mode and trying to understand all this.

You have to ask, "when and how does that exposure start?" Our 2018 went to the Future Stars camp, and contacted over 30 of the schools via email prior to the start. Over 20 of the 30+ have responded in one form or another - camp invites, links to prospective student-athlete forms, explanations that they cannot contact him directly until September 1st 2016, etc.,   it doesn't really mean a ton, but what the camp did do is get him jump started on the process, threw him into competition against strong kids a year older, and got him used to the format. Our take is that it was well worth the price of admission, regardless of what happens with these schools. 

There were several stories in the bleachers about parents w/ older kids being hit by multiple coaches on September 1st of their junior year, the first day these coaches could reach out. That exposure to the coaches came from Stanford Camp (and several of these same parents spoke very highly of Headfirst as well). Is it necessary as a rising sophomore? Probably not. Was it worth it? In our estimation, yes it was. Plus Palo Alto / San Francisco is a really nice place to hang out for a weekend. 

Stanford has an impressive list of coaches that are actively working the camps, these are the ones listed.  Stanford does not allow any other Pac 12 schools to attend.  They also dont allow schools with lesser academics or any other schools that they have any type of conflicts.  A lot of schools regard Stanford as a premier showcase but unfortunately their coaching staffs can not attend the camp for some reason.  The good part is that schools that are not allowed to attend the camp, are allowed to buy all the information gathered at the camp, especially the grading, testing, and evaluation forms.  There is always a healthy line up of outside schools buying this camp info.  So,  schools you dont see on this list may be evaluating and recruiting players that have attended the camp.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.