Skip to main content

My son just finished his true freshman year at a Power 5 D1 school. It was literally a dream season, as he started the whole year and made All Freshman Team, 2nd team all conference and even 2 freshman All American teams. So blessed and happy for him! Given this, I assume he is now on some MLB scouts' radar to go see at some point in the future.

His 2015 collegiate summer team is an expansion team and things aren't going very well so far. Lots of drama, kids leaving, coach is VERY young, etc. My question is...assuming MLB scouts have interest in his tools, will they be more prevalent NEXT summer (2106) or do you think this summer is still very important given his freshman college season?

Thanks in advance!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I am not speaking from experience, but from those that have paved the path ahead of us...the summer before your son's junior year would be the important summer.

Players that I know that have been drafted didn't even play the summer after their freshman year in college...went to summer school, stayed on campus to get bigger, better, stronger.

Interesting to start a second topic without addressing any of the responses to your first post.

I doubt anyone can provide input which would be very reassuring.

There are so many variables.  Some issues your son may need to consider going forward include:

1.) will the response and reaction of his current team and GM limit the teams/leagues where he could play during the Summer of 2016?  For a GM to call a college head coach seems  outside the norm.

2.) Will scouts view this Summer as contrasted with his college performance a better reference point for his ability with wood?

3.) How will scouts react to the Summer league performance when many Summer leagues are set up to mirror life in MILB.  53 college games is just about 1/3 of a MILB season.

4.) How reliable and respected is the GM for the Summer team in terms of input to scouts and other teams/leagues?  That seems like a big unknown but one which can be a consideration.

Certainly, if the college coach can get your son into a top league for the Summer of 2016 and your son performs at a high level, with wood, in that league, this Summer could fade into a long distant past.  Being realistic, I don't think your son is making his college coaches job for placement next Summer any easier.

One other consideration: this is not only about your son.  His college head coach probably facilitated this placement.  The college head coach has his credibility on the line, to some extent.  For strong negatives to be getting back to the coach from the Summer GM could jeopardize that coaching staff getting future players placed or at least make it a lot tougher. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.