Skip to main content

Have a son that will be graduating 2017 and wants to play baseball in college and im looking for direction in what I can do to help him, where do I start, how do you know where he fits, etc?

Here is a video that was recently done any feedback is welcome - Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4W6FFKolYE

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

GPA would be of concern. It only gets harder in college w baseball taking so much time, that some slack on studying. My sons college requires so many hr of study hall, but a few players have been called in already by coach to have grade conversations.

if ACT/SAT scores are low I would look into JuCo. but they also have diff rules and can play more games, have more practice hrs than say D1, esp in Fall Ball. 

Work on grades, get help if needed. So much of baseball money in college is academic related.   Still time to put yourself in better position.

good luck

Originally Posted by kaos:
Right now he has 2.8 and working on getting that up. My son has just started and working with his coach on targeting schools. Hasn't taken the SAT yet. Has played in a few showcases and tournaments. He is a junior this year.
Runs 7.3 60 - and exit velo 82-85.

2.8 as a junior isn't going to get him much interest, the other stats don't matter unless that one improves.  

Originally Posted by kaos:
Right now he has 2.8 and working on getting that up. My son has just started and working with his coach on targeting schools. Hasn't taken the SAT yet. Has played in a few showcases and tournaments. He is a junior this year.
Runs 7.3 60 - and exit velo 82-85.

I'm not saying you are, but assume you're behind the 8 ball in terms of timing. Get moving with your efforts (fast), and it starts with the targeting of schools, from D1 to D3 to Juco.

Agree with the GPA comments: a 2.8 is a difficult sell to many schools. Double down on efforts.

BTW: investigate the ACTs as an alternative to the SATs. From WaPo article regarding usage: "SAT numbers edged up slightly in New Jersey and Massachusetts. ACT numbers boomed, rising 80 percent in Massachusetts and tripling in New Jersey."

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.