Skip to main content

My 2018 committed yesterday.   Just wanted to say thank you for all the support and guidance to help understand and get through this process.

While the college was not what we or he initially thought it would be, it is a top academic school where the coach see's my son having an impact immediately.  Drawing an end to this process I learned what everybody has been talking about:  it's not about playing D1,2,3, but rather seeking the right fit.  Sometimes timing can preclude opportunity, but present other opportunity.

Son is ecstatic; his first visit to the campus felt electric.  It happened to be a beautiful day, first year students were moving in, the layout of the college made it seem like a much larger school, the facilities are fantastic, the extracurricular's sounded great, and it happens to be a top academic school, and he still hadn't had his meeting with the HC.  

The following day he met with the HC.  I reminded son that it was his meeting and he'll be going without me, but I'd be nearby if and when there's an opportunity to also meet with the coach.  They talked for 40m, I was then called to find son and HC having a very energetic conversation about baseball, the school, and role my son could have. Son has seen so many schools and entertained numerous D1 and D3 offer's, he had a clue this was a fit.  

As the conversation flowed talking about off season workouts, summer baseball, throwing mechanics and patterns, Cressey - Driveline - etc..., you could tell they had chemistry.

HC asked son what he thought of the school, knowing full well, there were several opportunities my son was pursuing as a result of a phone conversation with my son's club coach the previous week.  

Son didn't skip a beat: "Coach you are my number one pick, I would like to play for you and attend this school."  

Coach quickly said:  "you are my number one pick, I'd like to offer you support through admissions, will you play for me?"

Son said yes, but would like to digest his excitement for the college and opportunity and if he could have a few days.  HC was cool with it, and even offered more time, but definitely made it known he was in active recruiting mode and knew the top players he'd seen over the summer would only be available for few more weeks.  Soon would be better.  Son did not feel pressure, he'd worked the process, and understood this was business now.

Son called the HC late yesterday and accepted.  (Coach mentioned he thought there was a real connection between them and he may hear from my son soon. Also, HC has seen my son at 3 showcases and 2 tourney's and they'd talked at length several times. )

Son is happy and feels confident he made the right decision.  He thinks he worked the process well, and took advantage of great opportunity.  Stars were aligned...  Carpe diem...

Thanks again for the help to all of you, whether we spoke via PM or not, there were always plenty of comments presenting perspective.  Happy I stumbled on this site 5 years ago.

Cheers,

David

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Gov,

So happy for you and Gov Jr.  They are lucky to have him.    Have enjoyed getting to know you through this process and I am thrilled we got to meet and I was able to watch Jr play.   He is an exceptional ball player and young man.    

Have to say, he is also lucky to have a Dad like you standing behind him.  I just don't think most boys, mine included, can successfully navigate this process without a significant adult assisting.   You did a terrific job yourself and I know you helped me along the way too!

Please extend my well wishes to Jr.   Go Panthers!!

Midwest Mom posted:

Wow Gov, Congratulations to your son -- and you!  Fantastic news and such a great story.  I wish him the very best!  Don't go away because we still need you and your experience and perspective!

Thanks.  I'm not going anywhere... I've learned a ton and willing to share...  And as it's been noted, I have strong opinions on the approach for position players to get noticed by Ivy's and others.  Happy to help

Twoboys posted:

Congrats to you Dave and your whole family, especially your son.  He chose wisely!

It has been great to get to know you all and swap stories and processes the past year or so.  That's really the power and magic of this site, as we both try to now pay it forward...

All the best for a terrific senior year to your son!

Thank you!  And good luck to E in his first year. 

Gov posted:

HC asked son what he thought of the school, knowing full well, there were several opportunities my son was pursuing as a result of a phone conversation with my son's club coach the previous week.  

Son didn't skip a beat: "Coach you are my number one pick, I would like to play for you and attend this school."  

Coach quickly said:  "you are my number one pick, I'd like to offer you support through admissions, will you play for me?"

Son said yes, but would like to digest his excitement for the college and opportunity and if he could have a few days.  HC was cool with it, and even offered more time, but definitely made it known he was in active recruiting mode and knew the top players he'd seen over the summer would only be available for few more weeks.  Soon would be better.  Son did not feel pressure, he'd worked the process, and understood this was business now.

I got chills!  So cool!

3and2Fastball posted:

GOV - for the school he committed to, where was he first seen by the coaching staff?  How many times did the coaches see him play prior to offering?  

Great question.  Total of four times from June through early August.

• 1st time: at state wide showcase with the top 2-3 players from each high school through out the state.  Son had emailed the HC in May with all of his video and transcripts... HC said he'd see him at showcase. 
  • 2nd time: AC was at WWBA and followed him around to a few games.
  • 3rd time: Showball in July
  • 4th time: Showball HC in August

Son had emailed the top academic D3 coaches back in May as a form of insurance, just in case he didn't get his Ivy choice he didn't want to be scrambling for a relationship along with all the other 2-4 back ups on the board for Ivy's.  It served him well, the other top academic D3's also got to know him, but his final college choice made more effort and really liked his glove and arm (90 across IF).

Last edited by Gov
Gov posted:

Son had emailed the top academic D3 coaches back in May as a form of insurance, just in case he didn't get his Ivy choice he didn't want to be scrambling for a relationship along with all the other 2-4 back ups on the board for Ivy's.  It served him well, the other top academic D3's also got to know him, but his final college choice made more effort and really liked his glove and arm (90 across IF).

IMO, an extremely mature and intelligent approach.

If you are comfortable sharing, was he asked to apply Early Decision?

MidAtlanticDad posted:
Gov posted:

IMO, an extremely mature and intelligent approach.

If you are comfortable sharing, was he asked to apply Early Decision?

Thanks.  Yes, he was asked to apply ED.  His ACT is in the middle 50% range, so it will make it easier for the HC to support son.  Top 50 schools are so competitive, you've got to leverage your "hook".  This is an easy decision for us; son felt so connected to the school even before baseball was discussed.  Baseball meeting closed the deal.  

I can only imagine the difficulty applying ED if it's "one of the schools I like", or "it's the only school offering me to play baseball I'm going for it".  This is where the "fit" comes in.....

Last edited by Gov

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.