Skip to main content

When it comes to summer travel teams, each organization has their 1st level, 2nd level, etc teams.   From a recruiting standpoint, Is the value of being on the top level team of an organization so much more than being on a 2nd level team that kids will play on the top level team of younger grads i.e. 2018's playing in the top level of 2019 team rather than 2nd level of their own graduation year? 

That is what I see happening and its made me curious. 

Last edited by JLC
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

JLC posted:

When it comes to summer travel teams, each organization has their 1st level, 2nd level, etc teams.   From a recruiting standpoint, Is the value of being on the top level team of an organization so much more than being on a 2nd level team that kids will play on the top level team of younger grads i.e. 2018's playing in the top level of 2019 team rather than 2nd level of their own graduation year? 

That is what I see happening and its made me curious. 

I think any 2018's doing that this summer would be making a pretty big mistake.  Unless they are playing down on one of the very high profile National, top-tier teams like Evoshield Canes, Orlando Scorpions or Tri-State Arsenal.  This is a (potential) make or break summer for 2018's.  They should be playing against the best competition possible.

You have to look at those arrangements based on the individual player.  The player should select the best fit for him.  Maybe this was the best fit.

I'm not a big fan of "playing down" as a general rule, but some times it's the best we can offer to a particular player, and if he's age-eligible and he sees it as his best option, it can work. 

Sometimes the player will play most of the time with "his" team, but get the first call if his class year's team has an injury or some such.

Its not a 'make or break year' for 2018s.  Important year?  Yes.  The very best players in that class will get offers and make commitments.  But there are plenty of 2018s that won't hear from colleges yet but will ultimately play (and star) in college.

For 2018s, focus should be on best competition you can achieve and play.  Gotta play to get better.  If you shine enough to garner interest - all the better.

But its not a make-or-break year.

Did anyone else notice that PG changed the way their age requirements are listed for their tourney's? 

Here is what is listed for a 16u tourney:

Age Eligibility: 2018 Graduate or younger or born on or after May 01, 1999

Seems like they are allowing for the kids like mine with an August Birthday.  My 2020 would qualify for this 13u tourney:

Age Eligibility: 2021 Graduate or younger or born on or after May 01, 2002

justbaseball posted:

Its not a 'make or break year' for 2018s.  Important year?  Yes.  The very best players in that class will get offers and make commitments.  But there are plenty of 2018s that won't hear from colleges yet but will ultimately play (and star) in college.

For 2018s, focus should be on best competition you can achieve and play.  Gotta play to get better.  If you shine enough to garner interest - all the better.

But its not a make-or-break year.

This^^^^.   

Summer after Jr. year is "Make or break."  Not after Soph. year.  2018s are sophomores right now.

It is an important year though.

Ceeheezee posted:

FYI...Jason Heyward has a late birthday and always "played down" a year on those East Cobb teams...think it worked out pretty well for him...8 years/$204M...Lol

Are you sure?  My son has a similar birthday and I've heard he has to play with his high school class.  I read last year there was a big stink at the ECB tryouts that a kid was required to play with his class rather than age group, the dad was ticked.

CaCO3Girl posted:
Ceeheezee posted:

FYI...Jason Heyward has a late birthday and always "played down" a year on those East Cobb teams...think it worked out pretty well for him...8 years/$204M...Lol

Are you sure?  My son has a similar birthday and I've heard he has to play with his high school class.  I read last year there was a big stink at the ECB tryouts that a kid was required to play with his class rather than age group, the dad was ticked.

Not everything people are told out of that organization is necessarily on the level.  Coaches and administrators will tell a family something to ensure that the player is "placed" where they want, so what is often presented isn't often the "official" rule.

I know for a fact that a couple of 16u players played on their top 18u team, not only last season, but in years past.  At the younger age groups coaches will tell a family whatever they need to keep the kid where they want them.  If there are hard and fast rules about playing in lowest eligible age or with grade, they aren't that hard or fast.

Nuke83 posted:
CaCO3Girl posted:
Ceeheezee posted:

Not everything people are told out of that organization is necessarily on the level.  Coaches and administrators will tell a family something to ensure that the player is "placed" where they want, so what is often presented isn't often the "official" rule.

I know for a fact that a couple of 16u players played on their top 18u team, not only last season, but in years past.  At the younger age groups coaches will tell a family whatever they need to keep the kid where they want them.  If there are hard and fast rules about playing in lowest eligible age or with grade, they aren't that hard or fast.

I hear you and agree, BUT, there is a huge different in a 16u kid playing with 18u versus a 16u kid (according to class) playing with a 15u team because he's eligible.

Teaching Elder posted:

Now this is very interesting.    One would think a guy like him to be a super-stud throughout and star even in a little bit older age groups.

He certainly panned out well.

You are correct. 

Jason Heyward played for East Cobb in the 2004 17U WWBA when he was 14 (he turned 15 a month later -- he played up 3 years, since he was technically a 14U kid). And the following month he played in the 15U (that is, he was playing up one year since he was technically a 14U kid).

The following year (2005) he played in the 16U WWBA, 17U WWBA, and the 18U WWBA. He was league-age 15.

I'm sure there may have been tournaments when he played down, but it appears he had no problem playing up.

2019Dad posted:
Teaching Elder posted:

Now this is very interesting.    One would think a guy like him to be a super-stud throughout and star even in a little bit older age groups.

He certainly panned out well.

You are correct. 

Jason Heyward played for East Cobb in the 2004 17U WWBA when he was 14 (he turned 15 a month later -- he played up 3 years, since he was technically a 14U kid). And the following month he played in the 15U (that is, he was playing up one year since he was technically a 14U kid).

The following year (2005) he played in the 16U WWBA, 17U WWBA, and the 18U WWBA. He was league-age 15.

I'm sure there may have been tournaments when he played down, but it appears he had no problem playing up.

This makes more sense.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.