Skip to main content

My 2018 RHP has been at college for a week now. We've literally had two phone calls — one asking how to pay for a textbook in the class he had just picked up, and the other where to get a parking permit for his scooter.

He says he's busy just getting to class in the mornings and then to whatever physicals, screenings, etc. have been set up for him in the afternoons, followed by throwing and lifting programs. It doesn't seem like he's had time to miss us.

Practice starts, I think, in a little over a week.

How's it going for others?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Iowamom, in a weird way I miss those occasional calls/texts from college on "what/how/I need" topics.  For me when son was in college I used to find out what he was up to based on his twitter or Instagram.  He only called me when he needed money or on the one occasion when he got injured.  I did learn how to be prolific at texting though!  Enjoy these times, it will go by fast.

Iowamom23 posted:

My 2018 RHP has been at college for a week now. We've literally had two phone calls — one asking how to pay for a textbook in the class he had just picked up, and the other where to get a parking permit for his scooter.

He says he's busy just getting to class in the mornings and then to whatever physicals, screenings, etc. have been set up for him in the afternoons, followed by throwing and lifting programs. It doesn't seem like he's had time to miss us.

Practice starts, I think, in a little over a week.

How's it going for others?

I have lived similar conversations, the last crisis was cooking in new apartment... good times!!

OK, Iowamom, I'll play along too. We dropped my 2018 (non-athlete) off to school last week, 765 miles away. One "crisis" he mentioned was that he packed two conditioner bottles instead of a shampoo + conditioner. Oh and funny texts in family chat, such as he finally found someone more of a nerd than his mom--his Logic Teacher. And the Einstein bagels man made fun of him for ordering plain bagels with nothing on them I miss him dearly. All day I complain about how my students are "distracted by technology". But it's nice to have to keep up with sons' happenings.

My son texted me a couple of mornings ago, excited that skill work began that day and that scrimmages would begin a week later.

Yes, coaches get excited, too! It's a new year, a new team; and a new season will be here before we know it!

Best wishes to all players and coaches as they begin preparing for the 2019 season!

Iowamom, my 2018 LHP also moved in a week ago.  His first "crisis" was also a text book issue - his credit card was rejected AND he ordered the wrong edition.  First practice was Sunday and first day of class was yesterday, and as you stated, with everything going on he doesn't have time to miss us.  We're only an hour or so away and we're looking forward to watching scrimmages once they start.

We dropped son off last Thursday...weird not having him around.  He has been working hard and been really excited about this opportunity.  Already has a year of college credits (25) to his name because of the dual enroll courses at his high school (HS players need to take advantage of this). 

Team has been doing "captains" practice everyday since we dropped him off --was actually hitting while we were in a coaches meeting, with the official practice starting 12 Sept.  Have already sent him a box of items that he forgot as well :-).

About two hours away on the PA turnpike so its not a bad drive...looking forward to watching him play this fall. 

2018 took summer class / workouts at campus...... but we "dropped" him off 9 days ago... He seems to be doing fine.   Told me he wanted to switch to another class and that he emailed the professor and the professor said the class was wait listed. So he went to the class anyway and talked to professor after class.  Persistent for a freshman.  Workouts are brutal.... food is great........ his roomie is a little homesick.......  

I am sure it's a good feeling for him to know my office is 1.8 miles away....  loves my credit card

Dropped son off last week. He lives in a house with six other baseball players. LA rent is steep - $3,650/mo for the 4BR house. Workouts started yesterday. He's sore today. He throws his first BP today and will pitch the first inning of their first scrimmage on Friday. He's eager to throw again. Brutal schedule. Practice from 7-12 and first class starts at 12:30.

On a positive note, we play @ Iowa this season, so maybe we'll see IOWAMOM23's son in action.

I don't really want to hear from him.  I hope that he has plenty to do and is happy and doesn't feel homesick.  We did get a good long conversation the other day, but too much talking too often necessarily shifts a conversation from good stuff to talking about the unpleasant things as well... the load of work-study, and volunteer hours on top of studies and baseball, having a cold, and so forth.   

Go have a great time kid.  We'll see you at Thanksgiving.  

P.S. I do still get plenty of texts about purchasing books, and such.

Son has been away for almost two weeks. We've had a couple of phonecalls, but plenty of text messages, usually about trivia. He seems to be missing us a bit(especially the dog), but in general has been so busy that I don't think he's had time to mope. Has already played in 5 exhibition games, had one short road trip, and has another, longer one coming up this long weekend, with 6(!) games, so that, together with practices, and moving into his dorm, has kept him busy. 

I get to watch him play a little bit on Youtube, which helps me a bit. 

The next hurdle to go through is when classes start Sept. 4. He is used to balancing academics and baseball in HS, but there is bound to be an adjustment at his large, academically challenging University.

My sophomore nonbaseball playing son hopped in the car and took off two weeks ago.  Only 2 text messages from him.  I think my wife may have received a couple more.  One to let me know he was there and moved his things from storage into his apartment and another to ask me to bring him "a case of good beer and a handle of vodka, not the cheap stuff" when we see him this weekend.  As he is still not 21 Im guessing he worked through all the stuff he stole from us on the way out the door.  

On the other hand my 23 year old son has boomeranged back home after graduating.  He starts his job in October.  Typical comments from him, "What do you mean I have to pay for my cell phone when I start working", "I have to pay car insurance?", "I have no money (he moves it all into long term investments - smart kid, but not thinking about living expenses), can I get $100". 

Im now longing for last year when we were empty nesters.

Our Son graduated May 2018 and is done with baseball. He's now in Grad school. He shares a one bedroom in San Francisco $1,500.00 per month each. Plus, his roommate pays $150.00 per month for parking. He is working part time at a paid internship and hoping to land something full time.

Miss that baseball money!

roothog66 posted:

Dropped son off last week. He lives in a house with six other baseball players. LA rent is steep - $3,650/mo for the 4BR house. Workouts started yesterday. He's sore today. He throws his first BP today and will pitch the first inning of their first scrimmage on Friday. He's eager to throw again. Brutal schedule. Practice from 7-12 and first class starts at 12:30.

On a positive note, we play @ Iowa this season, so maybe we'll see IOWAMOM23's son in action.

Good luck root.  Yeah, LA is steep, hopefully the place is right on the beach!

roothog66 posted:

Did your son and his roommates enjoy the little welcome-to-california shaker last night?

... or were they too far west to feel it?

JCG posted:
roothog66 posted:

Did your son and his roommates enjoy the little welcome-to-california shaker last night?

... or were they too far west to feel it?

I don't know. I just texted to ask him. News reports say it was felt in Sylmar, which is pretty close. Being in Northridge, of all places, didn't make my wife, who is worried about quakes, feel any better.

Dropped our 2018 off last week.  He's trying to walk on and found out the tryout is beginning of October.  Seems like that will put him behind the 8 ball compared to those already practicing.  He's working out with friends to get stronger and stay sharp.  As for general, we've gotten the calls/texts about book money already.  Luckily, his 2015 brother is at the same school in case he gets homesick.

My 2018 nephew left for college a few days ago.  He's not playing Baseball though.  I do know they keep new Freshman very busy in their first few weeks at school these days, lots of activities, orientation and events.  First football game of the season is this weekend at most schools.  Pregame/Postgame events, Pep Rally the day before etc

All that to say don't be surprised if they don't have much time to call in the first few weeks.  Add in Baseball to all of that?  Especially the realization that they have to earn a roster spot in Fall practice?  Yeah, they are busy.

keewartson is not a freshman, but kinda feels like it.  He had surgery with Dr. Andrews the end of June , which allowed him to go back for his 7th semester this fall on the MLB scholarship after being away from college for a year.  He is living in one of the baseball houses with several sophomores and a few upperclassmen, but I am sure he will be called "pops" or "dad" or something.  Looks like he is taking some classes that he likes, and, without early a.m. lifts, practice, and additional hitting, his grades should be stellar (lol).  

I read on this site years ago that in college there are 1) studies/classes, 2) social life/girlfriend, and 3) baseball/practices.  You get to pick 2, or something is going to suffer.

So sorry to hear the news that your boy had to see Dr. Andrews for surgery Keewart.  Hope that he is on the road to recovery!  Glad to hear that he is taking advantage of MLB Scholarship + heading back to school though.  Sounds like he will do just fine with his "pick two" this fall.  All the best to him + the family.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.