Skip to main content

My son, a 2019 catcher, is playing at a private school at present and a good quality travel team for summer and fall ball...has been getting interests from schools in the D3 and low D1 level and received a full ride offer, 50% academic, 50% athletic from a local D2 school, which he unfortunately for me, has little interest in accepting..the coach said he needs to move on if he does not accept...fair enough...I'm hoping he makes the right decision on this one and perhaps he will receive an offer from a school that he wishes to attend...his showcase pop time is 1.97, 60 yard dash is 6.82, exit velo 88, throwing velocity is 83, excellent base stealer, hits for average, line drive hitter...he'll be playing in tournaments in South Carolina and Georgia shortly as well as Boston and Philly..at what level do you think he may receive another offer from and what would his appropriate level be? ..thanks in advance!  

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

First, be as gracious as possible when declining the offer. Maybe that offer looks good to him in 6 months when he doesn't have anything better, or that coach is best friends with another coach that he's trying to impress. Tell them you aren't ready to commit and you're visiting other schools over the summer. You understand they have to move on, and thank you for the generous offer.
His D2 offer is telling you more about what other offers might come than anything the people here can guess. Is it top D2? That might mean partial scholarship offers from lower D1s. If it's from a low D2, you're probably looking at other D2s and lots of D3s.
There are literally hundreds of those schools (plus juco). Has he made a list of schools to target? He needs to play in front of those schools.

Agree with comments of others here.  Also, what level of school or what schools is he looking at?  Did he not like the D2 because it was D2 or for other reasons?  He is a 2019.  If he has what better D1's are looking for, he would most likely know that by now.  They typically recruit early and that is certainly to include P's, SS's and C's.  You mentioned he is getting interest in the range of low level D1 to D3's.  Being a 2019, this probably tells you what you need to know.  The measurables are good and they are certainly meaningful but they by no means tell the whole story.  If he performs particularly well at the upcoming events, it's certainly not out of the question that he could get other offers but most of the better D1 programs are done recruiting for 2019s.

Has he been proactive in contacting the schools he is interested in or is he sitting back waiting for schools to show interest in him?  Gotta be proactive and find the best fit for both sides.

00 posted:

I am in a similar situation. 2019. I will say this. Not a single 2019 has signed a National Letter of Intent yet. Everything is only verbal. You got a chance if you can impress the right schools. If you are good enough, the money will be found for you. 

Yes, but if he was that good, that better D1's would drop other verbal commits and find money, he would most likely know it by now and those offers would be there.  It's June of his senior year.  Time to get realistic and get more proactive toward targets within range.  Then, if something special happens later this summer, he will have a good problem to deal with.

Thanks for the replies gentlemen...the D2 was a small school that is local to the NY area...my son replied graciously that he was very appreciative of the offer but wishes to play out his summer and fall ball tournaments..he expressed that he owed that to himself to see what other schools may be forthcoming with additional offers...the coach stated that he understood and wished him luck and that he was the top guy on their board but they will have to continue the process of recruiting a 2019...all was left on good terms..I think the main issue for my son is that the school was a half hour away from home and he wants to go to college farther away...it's not the choice I would have made but I can't force him to think differently...that said, I hope he hasn't squandered a nice opportunity. 

Makes sense and was an appropriate response by him.  If he was top guy on their board there is a good chance that there is still opportunity for him there after he has played out more of his travel schedule.  Sounds like he will be getting himself in front of other schools and has a plan.  The only thing I have not heard yet is that he is being proactive with contacting his target schools as opposed to waiting to see what schools show interest from these events.  Again, if he is not doing this, I strongly suggest he does.  

Agree with Cabbage.....has he contacted the schools that interest him?  This should have been done last fall and if there was interest, he probably should have gotten to their campus for camp over the winter.  Catcher's are snapped up pretty quickly.  If a D1 needs them, there's a good chance they've already got them for the 2019 class.  It's not impossible....but I would say it's pretty unlikely.  He needs to let EVERY school he has interest in know about that interest....TODAY!   Video is a must at this point as they are going to be very, very busy this summer and likely have a pretty full schedule already.  He'll have to really make an impression to get them to come out to see him if they aren't already going to be at an event he's attending.   Good luck!  

As noted, for a 2019 the time is now. 

The top D1's have their classes verbally committed already.  Yes, no one is signed yet.  But in my experience, these top schools aren't looking any more at 2019's.

The game plan starts with developing a list of schools that is vetted based upon where the player fits academically and athletically.  Then targeting those schools, e.g., calls, emails, video, admissions, etc.  And getting in front of those schools now and all Summer long...which is primarily done at multi-college showcases and college camps. 

Tournaments are nice to do this rising Senior summer only if the schools on your son's list will be there AND they will see him there.  Otherwise, what's the point?  

He needs to be communicating with and seen by the schools on his list now.

Sounds like he's working a plan...that's how it's done!!!

To reiterate, high profile tournaments can be fun and can be very productive for high profile players.  For most players (i.e., those that aren't high profile), it's hard to be seen by the coaches on that player's vetted list.  Many tournaments are large and have field complexes spread far and wide.  The baseball can be fun and highly competitive, but as a college recruiting event for most players at this stage, it's sub-optimal.  And, it's extremely rare to be "found" at this late stage. 

IMHO and experience with two college players, this Summer is the time to be seen for a rising Senior by the coaches (and potentially admissions reps) of the schools on his list.   Fish in the right pond...fish in the pond of schools he has vetted and is communicating with.  IMHO, that will be at college showcases and camps.

I committed to a d1 out of high school in December my senior year. School had Been to the regionals multiple times, I was the only catcher they had committed from my class and only 2 others on roster at the time. Things didn’t end up working out on the academic side.

june 8th I found out I was no longer going to that school. I had received 8 offers within the week with 4-5 mid major schools. Another d1 offered in August. Ended up going to juco and didn’t sign to another d1 until around February or March. I had 2 friends receive scholarships from an ACC powerhouse in June before their freshman year

theres time. If he’s good enough, there will be room for him on a roster. Just remain patient and continue to work. It’s stressful, even after committed and signed. Would look in to a juco if the d1 schools he is interested in don’t come along.

What is your 2019's thoughts on his academic preference?  Does he have a field of study he has interest in? I bring this up because most players at the age of 17-18 years old do not think of these things.  Yes every player would like to go to the best D1 baseball program and get a chance to play post season. 

There are so many variables that a player cannot control to find success on the field.  In the classroom, however, the player controls their success. The academics should be just as important, IMO, to this decision.  Look at the many other posts on the board of a player's baseball path that did not work out. There are also numerous post on this site of a player choosing Big State U, where they wanted to go, to only transfer to a school more suited athletically and academically and perhaps where they should have gone originally.  

Statistically for a baseball player 98% will not play past college or even play regularly in college. So my thought would be to at least consider the academics.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the thoughtful replies...at this point he has 2 career interests...law enforcement or a business owner...he has good grades, 93 average, etc...I try to do a lot of research and unfortunately, have seen how several of his friends have failed at the D1 level and wound up getting cut in the fall of freshman year and transferring, after going to programs that were honestly above their level...One of them, a pitcher, is on his 3rd school in less than a year...I don't want that happening to him and would prefer that he play at a school that suits his level...unfortunately with kids his age, they are mesmerized by the mega D1 schools...I have one rule...I will not allow him to go to a school that offers a preferred walk on...in those instances, run the other way!        

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.