Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

“....son, for the game last night they put the players in a list, put how many times they come up to bat, how many hits they had and if they had any runs batted in. The writers at the Montgomery Advertiser also show the score by innings. If you look here you can see who was the winning and losing pitcher.”  “Dad, did Hank hit a home run?  Did Rico get a hit?”

“Hey sweetie, why do you keep putting him on the left side to swing? He’s only three, it’s just a plastic bat and ball.”  “Gary, he will be one step closer to first and most pitchers are right handed. He will see the ball better. Besides, that’s how my father hit and how he taught me.”

”Hey coach, can you say hi to my son’s grandfather after the game?  He is also a Rice alum. Did my son tell you he was all SWC first baseman in 1956? He has had a few strokes recently and is hard to talk to. Just mention the three home runs he hit against Minnesota.  He will light up.”

Yes Dominik.  Baseball  

Some teams are already in a hole. The nats not only had a bad start but lost Turner to a broken finger for at least a month.

But in the worst situation are the Yankees. Their ace is sidelined for at least a month and andujar might be out for the year. Stanton  is on the DL albeit probably for 2-3 weeks and of course hicks is hurt again. Betances is out too. Surprisingly tulo is not on the DL yet

The cubs also had a bad start due to some pen implosions. Imo both the nats and the cubs desperately need pen help, one of them should sign kimbrel or make a trade.

Last edited by Dominik85

I'm not feeling too bad for the Yankees quite yet. Five Thirty Eight still has them with a 74% chance of reaching the post season, 4th highest in MLB.  (This is down from 82% in the pre-season predictions.)  But the Rays have climbed a good bit, as have the O's, who are still in last place in this set of predictions, despite their good start so far.

https://projects.fivethirtyeig...ions/?ex_cid=rrpromo

Will kimbrel and keuchel sign anywhere soon? Some teams definitely need pen help.

I have also wondered why the brewers don't sign keuchel. Everyone talks about them and Kimbrel and that would help of course but I feel the bigger weakness is the brewers rotation, it is really not good especially if Nelson  doesn't come back.

Dominik85 posted:

I think the red sox need to be worried about sale. Just one run in 6 but only 1 K and averaging sub 90 with the heater. There might be a lingering injury.

I think the Red Sox need to be concerned after one full rotation of their entire starting pitching staff.  Bad pitching, bad execution, bad pitch calls have led to bad results.  I wish they'd bring Sandy Leon back to catch and call pitches.  I know it is only a 7 game sample size, but they have been awful based on their results and what little I've seen.  I wish I did the MLB package month to month.

Thankfully, they started the season on the west coast...mostly past my bedtime thereby sparing my household a barrage of foul language.  Sale will be fine.  He's a workhorse, he just needs innings and something to eat.  I've seen him in person, and I can't believe how skinny he is.  

Image result for large meal

Last edited by fenwaysouth
Dominik85 posted:

Will kimbrel and keuchel sign anywhere soon? Some teams definitely need pen help.

I have also wondered why the brewers don't sign keuchel. Everyone talks about them and Kimbrel and that would help of course but I feel the bigger weakness is the brewers rotation, it is really not good especially if Nelson  doesn't come back.

My theory is the Brewers' owner is more concerned with profits than taking that extra step with payroll to get to the World Series

My guess is that teams saw things in Keuchel & Kimbrel's medicals that made them hesitate on long term contracts

my pure fan point of view is Freddie Peralta pitched 8 Innings of 2 hit ball last night, Corbin Burnes has the stat heads freaking out over his Spin Rate, and Woodruff has looked really good.  Their young pitching might be pretty darn good... We'll see

fenwaysouth posted:
Dominik85 posted:

I think the red sox need to be worried about sale. Just one run in 6 but only 1 K and averaging sub 90 with the heater. There might be a lingering injury.

I think the Red Sox need to be concerned after one full rotation of their entire starting pitching staff.  Bad pitching, bad execution, bad pitch calls have led to bad results.  I wish they'd bring Sandy Leon back to catch and call pitches.  I know it is only a 7 game sample size, but they have been awful based on their results and what little I've seen.  I wish I did the MLB package month to month.

Thankfully, they started the season on the west coast...mostly past my bedtime thereby sparing my household a barrage of foul language.  Sale will be fine.  He's a workhorse, he just needs innings and something to eat.  I've seen him in person, and I can't believe how skinny he is.  

Image result for large meal

Ya think if we combined astros pitching w red sox hitting we would have a .500 team?  Doesn’t look like red sox pitching w astros hitting would ever win a game. 

I'm happy that owners have not caved to long term contract demands from Kimbrel and Keuchel. From what I've read they're looking for 6/7+ years. Whether the issue is medical or contractual. Anybody who watched the postseason last year knows that signing Kimbrel to anything more than 3 would most likely be a huge mistake unless he were signing on the cheap. 

Keuchel simply picked the wrong year to ask for a long term contract. The market for 30 year old pitchers coming off a 12-11 season with a near 4.0 ERA isn't exactly a strong one. 

If one signed a 1 year contract - would the amount be prorated for the time they've missed or would they get every dollar? 

The answer is less than 5%

The question is what percentage of the season has been played before panic sets in?

The standings in the AL seem upside down from the pundits expectations. The Sox decided to use Spring Training very differently I thought. The horses didn't see much action until late. Starting on the road for 11 straight games is quite odd especially with 2 games in 4 days after that.

I find it interesting the number of deals/extensions announced after opening day but there are still some experienced players looking for employment. They need to feed their families too! It's a mixed message the owners are sending.

JohnF posted:

The answer is less than 5%

The question is what percentage of the season has been played before panic sets in?

The standings in the AL seem upside down from the pundits expectations. The Sox decided to use Spring Training very differently I thought. The horses didn't see much action until late. Starting on the road for 11 straight games is quite odd especially with 2 games in 4 days after that.

I find it interesting the number of deals/extensions announced after opening day but there are still some experienced players looking for employment. They need to feed their families too! It's a mixed message the owners are sending.

I can't speak for others, but it usually takes me about two-months (50 games) before panic and constant 24x7 potty mouth sets in an for an underperforming Red Sox team.   However, I was able to foresee the Red Sox demise in 2012 with "the Bobby Valentine experiment".  That was 100% the front office's fault.   I did not sign up for the MLB package in 2012 because I knew it was coming.   I knew in February 2012 before they broke for Spring Training  they were done.   So I turned my attention to the Washington Nationals (my national league team) and tried my best not to think of the 2012 Red Sox grease fire.  

Actually, it is fairly common to see the Orioles jump out after the first 20-25 games.   I've seen this movie before, and it is going to end the same way, again.

JohnF posted:

I don't think they're sending a mixed message. I think they're just saying these guys aren't worth what they're asking for. Chris Sale just signed a 5 year extension. He is 30 and without a doubt a top 3 pitcher in baseball. They will most likely get three Cy Young candidate years out of that contract. Same with DeGrom, only 5 years. It is hard to justify giving a 31 y/o Keuchel a 5 year deal when the top guys are barely getting that. 

Don't forget agents are involved too. They don't want to lose. When they give hard numbers for teams to meet, they want them to be met or they lose bargaining power. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.