Skip to main content

All three Juco World Series begins Saturday.

Very high level amateur baseball at the D1 series in Colorado. The website says that all those games will be streamed.

https://d2o2figo6ddd0g.cloudfr...mp_-_Bracket_-_4.pdf

https://d2o2figo6ddd0g.cloudfr...t_-_First_Round1.pdf

https://d2o2figo6ddd0g.cloudfr...SB_-_Bracket_-_1.pdf

Last edited by MidAtlanticDad
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Every teams situation is different but generally speaking I think that once you get past the top couple of arms on each team the hitting is better than the pitching at all levels of JUCO.  In a tournament setting teams are going to go thru their entire staff which means they may be forced to use some guys on the mound that don’t get a lot of guys out. 

d-mac posted:

I see big scores at Grand Junction in almost every game.   Is the park small, is it the altitude?  I don't know much about the JUCO WS and was just curious why the scores were so high? 

Some of it has to do with how the tournament is structured.  Typically the #3 seed is playing the #10 seed, #4 vs #8, etc in the 1st round (1st and 2nd seeds usually get a 1st round bye) so there is bound to be some lop sided scores.  By the 3rd round it starts getting more competitive.   Also the closer the teams are in seeding tend to see closer scores.  Not always, but it's usually the case.  I don't remember how exactly the tournament is structured - I may be way off base.

Son's D2 Juco never made it to the D2 CWS but in the regional tournament it was important to stay out of the loser's bracket early.  Otherwise they tend to run out of good arms.  The last time they fell into the loser's bracket in the 2nd round and made it to the finals (barely), but had no good arms left for the final game.  The bats kept them in it for 4-5 innings, but then the wheels came off the relief pitching in the final two innings and they simply could not keep up.

FoxDad posted:
d-mac posted:

I see big scores at Grand Junction in almost every game.   Is the park small, is it the altitude?  I don't know much about the JUCO WS and was just curious why the scores were so high? 

Some of it has to do with how the tournament is structured.  Typically the #3 seed is playing the #10 seed, #4 vs #8, etc in the 1st round (1st and 2nd seeds usually get a 1st round bye) so there is bound to be some lop sided scores.  By the 3rd round it starts getting more competitive.   Also the closer the teams are in seeding tend to see closer scores.  Not always, but it's usually the case.  I don't remember how exactly the tournament is structured - I may be way off base.

Son's D2 Juco never made it to the D2 CWS but in the regional tournament it was important to stay out of the loser's bracket early.  Otherwise they tend to run out of good arms.  The last time they fell into the loser's bracket in the 2nd round and made it to the finals (barely), but had no good arms left for the final game.  The bats kept them in it for 4-5 innings, but then the wheels came off the relief pitching in the final two innings and they simply could not keep up.

It is a pretty small park. I believe the left field fence is something like 320' and RF not much deeper. Altitude is also almost 4600' which doesn't hurt either.

DesertDuck posted:
FoxDad posted:
d-mac posted:

It is a pretty small park. I believe the left field fence is something like 320' and RF not much deeper. Altitude is also almost 4600' which doesn't hurt either.

It's 306 down the LF line.  The scores have been outrageous the entire tournament and a lot of those have been 5 to 8 inning run rules. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.