Skip to main content

Here are the 1st round results.

Big surprises here?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com...t-round-results.html

Most saw bazzana as the best player but some thought cleveland might prefer a cheaper deal.

I think burns to Cincinnati at 2 is a slight surprise, many saw Condon there and there was a trend to prefer hitters with the first 4-5 picks because there is less injury risk but I guess if you believe there could be another paul skenes story the risk becomes less important.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

A few things came to mind watching the Draft yesterday......

I'm very curious to see how Jurrangelo Cijntje (P - Miss State) progresses as a "switch pitcher".  I love the pick as he has big league stuff as a RHP, and probably a little less so as a LHP.  Again, want to see if he can be at the same MLB level as both RHP and LHP in the future.  Very, very intriguing to me.  This guy is a unicorn.

Love the Red Sox picking switch hitting OF Braden Montgomery.  Despite being loaded with position players in the minors the Red Sox went with the best available talent.

Curious to see what and how Jac Caglione does as a two-way for the Royals.  Their current 1st baseman is a family friend so I'm going to be watching how quickly Caglione develops as either a LHP or position player or both. 

@Master P - 0.0005% is still a chance.   If you asked me back in March if the Red Sox would be in contention in the AL East, I would have told you there is a 0.0005% chance.  There is always a chance! 

@fenwaysouth

I saw Jurrangelo pitch in Gainesville this year. I thought it very strange.

But there are rules just like there are for switch hitting.

He outlasted our pitcher and he beat us. He beat a lot of teams. He is from here in SFL.  Little did I know that according to son, he was and still is one of his favorite  recruits, watched him in HS when he was PC at FAU.

As far as Cags, just a hunch, but out of the 10 teams he spoke with, KC indicated that they would work with him on pitching. That's what it was about for him. Probably will be eventually.

FWIW he played both positions in HS but had TJ before he came to Florida. So he didn't pick up a ball again until he was a sophmore.

With Griffin Herring going in the 6th round today that will be 3 players from the 2013-2014 Dallas Mustangs that my youngest played CF for who have been drafted.  Creed Willems in 21, Jett Williams in 22, and now Griffin...........Quinn Ewers left the team early in it's 2nd season to concentrate on football (seems like he made a good choice).

2 more years to see if anymore can get their name called (who knows what can happen).

It was a really fun team to watch and a great group of parents to spend summers with traveling all over the south.

Anyone know why a team would draft someone in 11-20 if the player says he won't sign for 150? Other than offering more than 150?

Could be like the old draft and follow scenario from back when the draft was 40 something rounds. The club holds the player’s rights until the next draft. So if they have someone who they think will make a big leap in development over the next year, they may try to tie him up, see if he does develop, and try to sign him before the next draft.

@ARCEKU21 posted:

Could be like the old draft and follow scenario from back when the draft was 40 something rounds. The club holds the player’s rights until the next draft. So if they have someone who they think will make a big leap in development over the next year, they may try to tie him up, see if he does develop, and try to sign him before the next draft.

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that.

I had a surprise, the Braves must have some very advanced scouting as a local kid was drafted in the 15th round as an outfielder, 17yo.  I'd never even heard of the kid, he did get D1 Hs state offensive player of the year based on a 380 or so ba and 3 hr.   I guess he had an impressive summer ball season so far in the Futures League  (4 hr and a 320 batting average), but that leagues hardly top level talent, as he was slated to Join Rutgers in the fall.   I wish him the best, but wow, kind of a pleasant surprise, seeing a position player taken out of a public HS in NH, without years of hype leading up to it.

Anyone know why a team would draft someone in 11-20 if the player says he won't sign for 150? Other than offering more than 150?

The baseball draft is significally more complicated than most pro sports drafts. Based on a team's pick position they have a pool of money (sum total of their slot values - 1 through 10). They can dole that money out however they see fit, but if their round 1 through 10 pick doesn't sign, they loose that picks slot value out of their pool (use it or lose it). Something has gone really wrong if they don't sign a pick below the 11th round. There are conversations with the player/agent and verbal agreements made prior to the pick (will you sign for $X?).

However, after the 10th round, there is no financial penalty for not signing the player. All picks are slotted for a max of $150K (if you go over, it comes out of your 1-10 pick money pool). A team can be frugal with their 1-10 picks and save millions of dollars, then go for a risky sign after the 10th round spending the millions they saved earlier.

To answer the question: They likely have saved bonus pool money and think they can entice them to sign, but if they don't they are not penalized like rounds 1-10.

@HSDad22 posted:

I had a surprise, the Braves must have some very advanced scouting as a local kid was drafted in the 15th round as an outfielder, 17yo.  I'd never even heard of the kid, he did get D1 Hs state offensive player of the year based on a 380 or so ba and 3 hr.   I guess he had an impressive summer ball season so far in the Futures League  (4 hr and a 320 batting average), but that leagues hardly top level talent, as he was slated to Join Rutgers in the fall.   I wish him the best, but wow, kind of a pleasant surprise, seeing a position player taken out of a public HS in NH, without years of hype leading up to it.

Played for the Redsox Scout Team in Jupiter last fall - there have been eyes on him for at least a year.

@PABaseball posted:

Played for the Redsox Scout Team in Jupiter last fall - there have been eyes on him for at least a year.

Many have said this in the past, but it's pretty hard to be projectable for pro ball and not be on somebody's radar. HS, NAIA, JUCO, D3, D2, D1, or independent ball, it doesn't matter, they'll find your kid if he projects for pro ball.

I was looking at the Cleveland 40 man roster (specifically pitchers) and of the 19 players from the US with MLB hours, 2 were drafted out of HS (10.5%). The two HS kids took 5 years and 7 years beyond their 18th birthday to debut.  The 17 that came out of college took 5 to 10 years beyond their 18th birthday with the average being 7 years to debut.

Also, been said here before, IMO go to college unless you get somewhat life changing money out of HS...

@PABaseball posted:

Yeah, just seems strange to me to see a kid drafted straight out of HS who didn't hit over .400 in NH high school baseball.  I would have thought a MLB draft pick would be someone lighting it up.   I hope he makes the right choice.  There have been a handful of NH HS draftees the past few years, but most if not all opted for college and some ended up being drafted from there again.  But I can count them (NH HS draftees) on 1 hand in the past 5 years and all of them were much more highly known.

@ARCEKU21 posted:

Turns out these pro guys know what they're doing. Convinced the kid to sign for 150.

@Master P posted:

It's very interesting to me that it seems every first rounder is signing for under slot value, so far.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/draft/_/year/2024

Luke Dickerson, from my alma mater, Morris Knolls High School, signed for the above-slot record second round yesterday with Washington.  Slot value $2.1m, signed for $3.8m!  The second player ever drafted from my HS (for baseball), and no, I wasn't the first.  Kid delivered the first state championship last year (I posted his sectional winning home run last year), and this year, he delivered a state hockey and then another state baseball championship.  He also tied Mike Trout's state single-season home run record this year.  I'm looking forward to seeing him in a few years next to James Wood in the outfield. 

That's two posts today for me, I will go back in my hole.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.