Skip to main content

My kid will graduate from high school in 2026, and I want to know his chances of getting a college scholarship.  We went to the doctor and we were told that his height and weight are in the top 5%.  He already can catch a nerf ball on the run, even having caught one while diving, (or falling).  He is a 2 year letterman on his t-ball team, starting both years, and he hits in the top of the lineup.  He currently runs a 14.7 second 60, and his fastball was clocked at 17 mph, both of which exceed his peers.  He also hit 10 HR this year in t-ball, (none over the fence and there may have been a few errors, but we don't count those).    I know he really wants to play at a D1 college that plays for the championships every year, because he was watching the College World Series on TV a few months ago and said, "I like that."  What do you think about his chances?  Would it be helpful to send a resume to coaches now so he can get on their radar?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Aleebaba,

I hope all is well in TX.   Have you given some thought to forming and coaching a 3 year old (3U) travel team?  You've got 11 years until they are 14 years old and some of these college coaches will be sniffing around (per some recent threads about early recruiting) and requesting a verbal commitment.  You've got some time, but not as much time as you think.   

I would suggest going out and buying the following:

--Stalker Radar Gun - so you can start sending weekly updates on his velocity to college coaches.

--BBCOR 32" 29 oz bat...probably should get one of each brand so he'll have plenty of time to decide which one he likes best.....though once he hits 14, he'll start using one of his teammates' anyway

--Jugg's pitching machine...if you don't, you'll end up having Tommy John surgery yourself before he's 7 because once the neighbor kids find out you have all those bats, you'll be throwing to all of them.

Originally Posted by MidAtlanticDad:

Happy Hour already?

What month was Jr born?  You may have already doomed him.

If anyone has read "Outliers", there is some truth to this birth month thing (example given in the book is ice hockey, but it played out for us in USA Baseball).

Oh, Aleebaba, tell your older son to do real well at his future D1, so the coaches will recognize his name when they come-a-scoutin'.  

Originally Posted by NYdad2017:
Originally Posted by Aleebaba:

and his fastball was clocked at 17 mph, 

I'm going to call dad rose-colored glasses on this one.  I've heard, from a reputable Pre-K scout, that he was in the 13-15 mph range.

Ok, he hit 17 mph, but he is sitting at 14-15 mph.

The recruiting service was a good idea, because it is a one time fee, and spread over the next 12 years it could pay off.

As for travel team, OF COURSE WE WILL GET HIM ON A TRAVEL TEAM NEXT YEAR.  That is a given.  I expect we will go to Jupiter, East Cobb, Joplin, Phoenix, and Steamboat. Duuhhhh.     

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.