Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

1. What does this kid throw, that he racks up that many K's?

2. How can a team (Granby) be good enough to tie for first, and bad enough to K 20 and 21 times in two games against the same pitcher?

3. Is this a Granby-Cowgill phenomenon, or is Cowgill running up similarly impressive numbers against other teams as well? Seems like he should have an easier time with the lesser teams -- but how much easier can it get?

I could understand 20-21 K's against someone like Huguenot or Wythe here in Richmond, but even then only if they had some killer stuff. Even bad hitters will make weak contact sometimes. But your story indicates Granby is normally a good team, so this one leaves me scratching my head. How do you explain it?
He pitched a great game against Denbigh in the regions last year.

Denbigh-Maury

He has a no-hitter this year and he regularly racks up a lot of strikeouts, but it could be a Granby-Cowgill thing. He had 16 strikeouts in the Eastern district championship game.

The last three meetings between Granby and Maury have gone to extra innings. It is the biggest rivalry in Norfolk. Maybe he gets pumped up for Granby.

Here's a brief from the Eastern district championship I wrote last year.

Granby tied the game in the fourth inning when Josh Todd and Barnitz both singled with the bases loaded. With no outs, and the bases still loaded, Maury turned to Coby Cowgill to slow the onslaught of runs. He came in and struck out the next three batter to end the threat. Cowgill didn't stop there--he kept throwing strikes. He finished with 16 K's in only 8 innings of work, including striking out the side in three innings.
Last edited by wgarlick
quote:
Originally posted by Midlo Dad:
1. What does this kid throw, that he racks up that many K's?

2. How can a team (Granby) be good enough to tie for first, and bad enough to K 20 and 21 times in two games against the same pitcher?

3. Is this a Granby-Cowgill phenomenon, or is Cowgill running up similarly impressive numbers against other teams as well? Seems like he should have an easier time with the lesser teams -- but how much easier can it get?

I could understand 20-21 K's against someone like Huguenot or Wythe here in Richmond, but even then only if they had some killer stuff. Even bad hitters will make weak contact sometimes. But your story indicates Granby is normally a good team, so this one leaves me scratching my head. How do you explain it?

To be fair to Granby, those 21 K's were spread over 10 innings...not 7. Still, an impressive number of strikeouts. Article in the paper said that Cowgill had a no-hitter thru 5 and was at 90 pitches entering the 7th...15 pitches/inning. Very good, but that pace put him at 150 pitches (apparently Coach Baker declined to reveal the exact number to the paper). Maybe Cowgill is a pitcher that can handle that kind of an outing with no ill-effects, but I seem to recall him having a less than impressive outing following a similar performance against Granby (20K's over 9 innings) earlier in the year

21 K's for Cowgill
I am surprised in the excitement over Coby no one has asked how many pitches the Granby player threw? Seems to me the coach from Granby should have been questioned? Coby, per my understanding is an exceptional pitcher and if he recieved the proper training could be that "phenom". His father posted on this site previously, he is out of N.J. Let's go see who both teams pitch Tuesday?Keep up the good work Will, you might see some of those "top 25" your looking for as well?Both programs have a good future as far as talent.
With the recent posts about similar situations, obviously it is not unique to those two programs. While I firmly believe that coaches have the best interests of their players at heart, they can easily be swayed by the importance of the game and verbal assurances from their pitcher that they are OK. No one feels any worse than the coach when ,in a rare instance, a kid is injured on the mound. Perhaps pitch counts should be put in place to take that decision out of their hands
Believe me, it's not just in Norfolk......it's all over. I believe a pitcher for one of the schools on the other side of the water went 10 innings the other day and had to be pulled because of the VHSL Rule.

Nomad - Little League has a pitch count and other rules to protect pitchers.....like a pitcher that throws one pitch in a day, can not go behind the plate. I wish HS and Pony would adopt this rule as well.

Though I coach at the Palomino Level in Pony, I believe there should be a pitch count to protect the kids.....In a regular season game, I usually do not let a pitcher go more than 4 innings or 70 pitches.....I will let them approach 100 in a tournament game if they are not struggling to hit their marks and not 100 degrees outside.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.