Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Overall I want them to be comfortable. So it's their choice. The number of steps gained from the windup versus the set really isn't that great.....unless the pitcher is the slowest person on the face of the earth in his windup. Doubtful you will get a force at third / second from windup but still have first.

Most peoplt will go with from the set position with less than 2 outs and less than a 3 - 2 count but I've had success in the past with going from the windup and pitching out. If a runner breaks early enough the pitcher / catcher pitch out and get the runner. But if they don't go the runner usually ends up going at leg lift anyway so it's like going from the set.

Two potential problems - 1) pitcher / catcher not being on the same page for the pitch out. One does it and the other doesn't. Just have to practice it and do it over and over. 2) Losing track of the situation and pitching out on a 3 - 2 count after the runner fakes a break.

But yeah in your situation I would let the pitcher be comfortable.
2709....I am confused....you say that you "pitch out to get the runner", but with 3-2 count, isn't a pitchout ball 4 and all runners advance? Help me understand how you get the runner.

My answer is that I prefer my pitchers from the stretch, however if they are struggling I will allow them to go from the windup.

So, 3-2-2 and assuming my pitcher is throwing from the stretch, if we are ahead in the game, we run our timing play to 1B. Amazing how many times we catch the guy sleeping because he is not the lead runner. Great momentum changer. Otherwise, a hard step-off will usually slow them down enough to hold the runners in check.
quote:
Most peoplt will go with from the set position with less than 2 outs and less than a 3 - 2 count but I've had success in the past with going from the windup and pitching out. If a runner breaks early enough the pitcher / catcher pitch out and get the runner. But if they don't go the runner usually ends up going at leg lift anyway so it's like going from the set.

Two potential problems - 1) pitcher / catcher not being on the same page for the pitch out. One does it and the other doesn't. Just have to practice it and do it over and over. 2) Losing track of the situation and pitching out on a 3 - 2 count after the runner fakes a break.

schwammi if you'll reread this portion at the top you will see where I changed it to a "less than 3 - 2 count". So what I mean is anything less than 3 balls we want to pitchout and get the runner from third. In the second part of the portion I have above you can see where I put as a potential problem is losing track of the count and pitching out on a 3 ball count.

I guess I should have started this on a different thread on possible strategies or something like that.

Hope that clears it up.

***********EDITED TO ADD**************

Ok after rereading everything what I'm talking about is a squeeze situation with less than 2 outs and non 3 ball counts. If this situation happens I have had success in pitching out to get the runner.

I apologize - I'm coaching football and trying to install an offense in two weeks. Needless to say that's a pretty tough task and right now my brain is mush.
Last edited by coach2709
A lot of this would depend on the situation for me. As a general rule I have my guys go stretch with less than 2 and wind with 2. If the runner at third is the tying run or the runner at 2nd is the tying run I my change things. I also look st what has been working the best for my pitcher that day. But as I said usually we are stretch until 2 outs.
3-2 2 outs of course you can go from the stretch and attempt a pick play. But when its time to deliver to the plate I want my pitcher to go from the position he feels most comfortable with. He is the one that has to make the pitch so its not important what position I feel the most comfortable with I am not the one having to make the pitch.

Now if the winning run is on second base we need to keep him as close as possible in order to have a shot if its a base hit. So in this situation I want my pitcher to go from the stretch and I want to attempt to keep him as close as possible. In this situation I am not concerned with the runners at 1st and 3rd. Just focus on keeping him close at 2nd and make a pitch.
Let's reverse the situation and go to a hitter's point of view. As a coach, what would you instruct your batter? What situations do you take and when do you swing? I know that you have to swing at anything close but there was a game I saw that a coach told the batter to take a pitch with this count at the bottom of the inning.
Last edited by Ryanrod23
quote:
Originally posted by Roy Hobbs:
I think you should never give the take sign there either, but I have won or tied 4-5 games by stealing home with 0-2 or 1-2 counts with guys who consistently have thrown high fb's or breaking balls away.

Roy, I assume you're saying that in those two-strike waste counts you gave your batter a take so that R3 could steal home. Right?

Were you at all concerned that the batter couldn't resist swinging if the pitcher unaccountably threw something down the middle? (Murphy's Law).
Last edited by freddy77
No matter what, you should go from the stretch with runners on base. I was a pitcher in Indy ball and this was stressed. You should be able to pitch out of the stretch just as easy as the wind up. I saw some stat on MLB Network talking about pitchers are out of the stretch upwards of 70-80% of the game.

If you have bases loaded, and the other team has been instructed well, as soon a first movement takes place by the pitcher in the windup, all runners will take off and run hard. This allows the runner from first to score on a base hit where he normally wouldn't have scored from. Not to mention, you are able to due pick off plays from the stretch if the runner is being stupid and giving you the last out.

quote:
Originally posted by trojan-skipper:
Do you instruct your pitcher to go out of the stretch or let him 'go with his own feel' ??
your thoughts??

have a good day
Last edited by Explosive Edge

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.