Skip to main content

Looking at a baserunning video recently and the coach was teaching that with a 3-2 count and a runner on second that the runner should read the hitters hands and if he starts his hands the runner should go from second. If the hands do not start the runner simply retreats back to second on ball 4.

Any thoughts on this teaching?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

How much did he charge for the video?

I'm with Coach May in keeping it basic. I could see doing this with a team full of speedy guys but overall you will be spending time during practice teaching something you could spend that time on situations that will come up much more often than this situation.

I'm not against videos to learn because I've done it and will still use them but you still have to realize that it's a business and they want to make money. So they will film stuff that they never do just to make a few more bucks.
There are two outs and you have a runner on second base. Its a 3-2 count. What is the defense doing in this situation? Looking to steal an out before the pitch is made maybe? If the runner is focused on trying to take 3rd base instead of just working on a getting a good secondary lead so he can score on a base hit , error , etc - then he is setting himself up for a possible pick. He may actually get too much of a lead and break back right before the pitch is made because of a deek. There is no need to get fancy here. Simply get a good secondary after you know the pitcher is going home and be ready to score. And be ready to bust back if the hitter does not swing so you wont get thrown behind by the catcher.

Getting a big lead and trying to do something "fancy" often leads to poor baserunning and bad decisions. There is no need for any of this. Stealing 3rd base with 2 outs is one of the worst risks you can take in the game.
I don't see a problem with sending the runner on the swing, granted it depends on the baserunner. But if you look at it, 3-2 2 outs on even a check swing, the catcher will more then likely be worried about getting the call and will freeze for a brief time which gives the runner a better advantage to get to third, which if it is ball four on the check swing, might cause a bad throw if catcher throws (after that delay he might be in a hurry), could also create a nice first and third situation if it works out. There are alot of good things just as much bad that could come out of this. Its all a game of chance, put the pressure on THEM and see how they reacte..
right arm of zeus - I teach my catchers they are throwing when a baserunner is stealing unless we tell them not to. So in your scenario my catcher better be coming up throwing and my defense better be ready to handle it or I'm going to be unhappy.

I know I said earlier I could see this possibly working if you had a team full of speedy guys but let's face it - this situation with the right guy at the right time is very unlikely. I'm aggressive by nature and I teach my guys to be aggressive especially on the basepaths but Coach May hit the nail on the head - it's an unnecessary risk that you don't need to take with a runner in scoring position.
Maybe I wasn't exactly clear in my initial post.

Its not so much a steal of third that is being executed. The runner will still get a normal secondary shuffle lead but they are reading the hands of the hitter and react from that as to whether they advance or retreat back to second.

I have the same thoughts about the check swing scenario but I did find it intersting as to some indicators that runners can use to guage going to third in the situation. Let's face it, if the hitter starts his hands, runners react to that, ball is hit in the outfield it could be the difference in being safe or out at the plate.
I'm with Coach May and coach2709 on this.

In this situation,3-2 2 outs,I'd prefer the runner not to break on the pitch as the batter will see the runner break out of his periphial vision and may not see the pitch as well.I'd rather the batter get the best look at the pitch as possible.

I understand the thinking about getting a good jump but you could also have ball four and your runner get thrown out at third for the third out instead of runners on first and second.Then again,I've allways liked to be very agressive on the bases.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.