Skip to main content

I just heard of this last night at a college fair at my son's school. A number of smaller schools offer a “3 plus 2” where you attend one university and then can transfer to another and end up getting your masters in an Eng discipline. The two examples are Concordia in Irvine and Ohio Wesleyan, and I assume there are others. I checked and both are Div III so I guess it would be a Div III to Div I transfer. (Wesleyan goes to Princeton and ?, and Concordia go to UCLA and UCI…there are others but I don’t remember)

Thinking about this it is probably a stretch since you would have to get the interest of the coach at the school you want to transfer to, but it might work for a Div I athlete who wanted to go this route.

Anyone here heard of this or know anyone who has done this?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

There are also D1 schools that offer this option. Generally they are schools that don't have an engineering program and will offer 3 years of physical sciences in preparation for a dual degree in a physical science and in engineering. If I remember correctly St. Mary's and USF in CA are among the schools offering this option.
3FG can help here but I think if you go from a DIII to DI then there is no sit out year. DI to DI then you would have to sit out a year, but maybe the NCAA has a provision for circumstances such as this.

I think this scenario would be a long shot, because you would have to get buy in from two coaches, but it might give an opportunity for a player time to work up to a D1 level.
quote:
Originally posted by BOF:
.... if you go from a DIII to DI then there is no sit out year. DI to DI then you would have to sit out a year, but maybe the NCAA has a provision for circumstances such as this.

This sure is a persistent notion! In baseball, a player who transfers into a D1 from any 4 year school has to spend a year in residence at the new school before being eligible to compete. There are a few exeptions, but they are unrelated to the division or affiliation of the origianl school.

I believe that by today's rules, such a 3+2 transfer player would have to sit a year. There is a provision for transfers from a "branch" school, but that doesn't seem to fit this situation, based on the definition in 14.02.1.

I do wonder if a player could apply for an advance waiver to the rule, since this kind of transfer, contemplated 2 years before the event, is clearly not baseball related, and is done to enhance academics. I don't know how one would go about that; normally waivers are applied for by the certifying school--which would be the second school.
Thanks 3FG.

Kjay if you don't mind can you elaborate a little on your circumstances. Did you have to sit a year or ?. What schools were involved? Did you talk to both coaches prior or did you just transfer and walk on?

I don't want to be too nosey but it would help to understand how this worked for you.

Thanks.
I did not have to sit out a year. I went down for a visit before I transferred, met the coach, attended a game, gave the coach my stats, and he said he would be glad to see me walk on in the fall. I had no help from my previous coach. I had a strong fall and won a starting position. They did say I was the first student to do that at their school in the ACC.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.