Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hate to burst anyone's bubble, but Rockwall DID NOT no hit DC. Awkward to have to say so, since there's no question he owned us. He deserves all the credit in the world for a dominant performance.

But there was a base hit in the 6th by Brooks. A nice effort by Rockwall's CF, a dive that came up short, wouldn't be ruled an error by any scorer familiar with the game. You tell me, if the guy leaves his feet and at best nearly traps the ball coming in, how's that an error?

It's a shame to see they (assume Rockwall staff) chose to report it to the DMN as a no-hitter. Oh well, guess it's not that important, but I just couldn't sit by and see an inaccurate report.

Congrats to Rockwall and Ballew on the dominant performance. No question, we definitely stunk.
PD,
Absolutely, don't blame you at all. That's the main reason for the correction, since those not in attendance rely on "reports."

Just wish someone didn't find it necessary to report it that way. His performance was good enough on its own. It's also not really fair to the kid who's base hit would otherwise go unreported.

Enough on that.
quote:
Originally posted by ChargerDad:
But there was a base hit in the 6th by Brooks. A nice effort by Rockwall's CF, a dive that came up short, wouldn't be ruled an error by any scorer familiar with the game.

Myself and the newspaper guy both felt it was an error because it came off of the fielder's glove. We were positioned on the field down the 3rd base line. The ball was a routine fly ball to CF. If not for the wind, it was a "can of corn." Not high and not a straight line drive. The centerfielder made a mistake, taking an initial step back then realizing the strong wind was holding up the ball. He came in and was somewhat leaning forward - slightly reaching - and the ball came off his glove. I wouldn't characterize it as a dive. He should have made the catch cleanly - E8. The catch made on the Brooks fly in the 1st - now that was a dive - and the best opportunity for a hit - if not for Parson's (LF) dive and catch. We probably can't agree on this but the box score says 0 hits. Good luck to you guys.
From my perspective, that's not an accurate description, but like I said, probably not all that important at this point. The CF left his feet, the ball did deflect off his glove after hitting the ground first.

Not a routine fly ball at all, although no doubt the wind may have turned it into a difficult play. But that doesn't lend to it being an error, instead quite the opposite. The benefit of the doubt goes to the fielder, as always. The general rule of thumb is, should it have been caught with "normal effort." You're not being fair to your CF if you're saying it should have.

Anyway, as I said, all credit to Ballew, and none to the feeble DC offense. I know several Rock kids and will be pulling for them moving forward.
last night i saw a game where a team let 2 infield pop-ups and 1 outfield pop-up fall in. (charged as hits because the fielders never got to the ball???) they also had 3 sac bunts that went for hits because they too weren't fielded properly (3rd basemen never attempted to field them???) Im not sure about HS rules (nor do i care for them) but Kingfish is correct sporting news rules(MLB) states an average fielder at that position.... useing sporting news rules nothing mentioned above would be a hit!

Hp incident sounds like a hit!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.