Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I can't believe the Cubs paid this much for him under these conditions, but, in reality, ALL this is somewhat of a **** shoot anyway, no matter what level the talent. Congratulations to Chris and his family and heck yes, his agent apparently did a fantastic job and/or the Cubs are stupid/brilliant, which will show in years to come !

I hate this for Auburn, but, once again, the coaching staff did a great job in getting this kid committed. From that point, there is so much that can happen that they do not control. THAT's college baseball, it has to be tough on a coach !!
Another example would be one Jimmy "James" Barthmaier of Houston Astros a couple of years ago who was drafted in 14th round, even lower than 329th pick, and promptly signed for 500,000 US DOLLARS. There were evidently signability issues not completely cleared up before draft so this is why it is imperative to be completely up-front and honest prior to draft. Typing this in a minor league ballpark with phonejack and laptop. Gotta get back to work! Surprised no one has responded to my post on Clayton Kershaw in TX forum. Peace, Shep
This situation is confusing, are we sure it is true? If so… Perhaps it’s the result of what Nick Adenhart has done with the Angels. The major difference being Adenhart was a sure top 5 pick of the draft had he been healthy.

While Chris is very talented, the confusing part is Nick was possibly the top pitcher in the country before having TJ surgery. That and Nick signed for about half as much during a year with much higher bonus’s. Of course Adenhart has quickly established himself as one of the top prospects in the minor leagues and he will be in the Futures game later this month..

Another factor in Chris's favor is he seems to have fully recovered from TJ surgery. Nick had his injury just before the draft. If Chris does what Nick has done he will be a bargain.

Anyway, congratulations and best of luck to Chris Huseby. That’s great!
Last edited by PGStaff
We were just discussing this player as well as Barthmaier in pressbox here and JB was drafted in 13th round and not 14th...My mistake....Cubs advanced scouts sitting right here beside me hadn't heard yet about Chris but they also told me they do not concentrate on amatuer coverage once pro ball begins. These guys are really focused and quiet up here...I prolly need to tone it down a notch and not ask these guys any more questions while they're working Big Grin Just an honor to be up here though...I usually sit down behind the plate and thought I would sit up here to see what it's like. WOW!!! These guys aren't playing games...They are looking for acquisitions for sure. Peace, Shep

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.