Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It's interesting to look @ many of the 2009 rosters that are posted on the college websites. Seems like many of the CA schools only have 32-34 players listed. Apparently the coaches have really tried to stay under the cap set by the NCAA. These are CA schools where son has friends playing so not sure about other states.
Cabb,

He was told he would make 4 with 2 on scholorship including himself.

Had a redshirt soph return when he wasn't expected to and a catcher/3rd baseman who was recruited mostly as a 3rd baseman.

Son is feeling like we is 3 or 4 in the depth chart. He says his defense skills including throws are about equal to the top 2 guys but needs experience and some "man strength" as he calls it. He is actually lucky that the top 2 catchers don't hit that well so if he can get his stick going he may find some playing time.
My friends sons D2 school had 40 players show up and the team is cutting to 30. So far all 10 freshman have been put on a list showing players in danger of being cut. It seems the older, bigger, stronger more experienced Juco transfers have the upperhand. Coach told friends freshman son not to worry about it. Not sure how how its going to work out.

My sons CA Juco had 65 players try out. So far only players with bad attitudes have benn cut including one that was drafted in June 08. Others have just stopped showing up. Still about 40 players at fall scrimages with only 25 to make the roster in Spring.

I realize these situations are bit different situation than the original question, but the more people that understand the competitive nature of baseball rosters the better.
Last edited by DG
Of the 4 players cut by LSU's baseball coach, two (2) were freshmen, one a Soph. 2 year letterman, and a fourth a Junior 1 year letterman. This is unforgivable. They loose 1 year of eligibility and haven't played a single college baseball season. The junior is done with college baseball and probably the sophomore, too. I like the roster limits, but it should never have applied to Freshmen. So for those of you considering this program, run away real quick because there is no ethics or fairness remaining at LSU. He should have never recruited and signed so many freshmen. And I'm a big fan.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.