Skip to main content

I absolutely love the game of baseball but, even more, watch with awe at some of the things professional players can accomplish. What Jimmy Rollins is doing is...spectacular, IMO. That it is being overshadowed by the same raging controversy that is going on in the site is just... sad. There is nothing physically imposing about Jimmy Rollins but he, among others, is why, to me, baseball is the very best sport. From a baseball view, I would love for Rollins to challenge 56 games. Baseball needs it. MLB needs to trust that fans will respond to the quality with which the game is played without ESPN emphasizing the "long ball." There is nothing artificial about the way Jimmy Rollins plays baseball. Hopefully, this might become what baseball needs...and those who run the game will recognize its' importance in determining how they "play the game."

'You don't have to be a great player to play in the major leagues, you've got to be a good one every day.'

Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

While BB is grabbing most of the Northern California spotlight these days (although the A's won a good one tonight against the Yankees), don't forget that it was another East Bay resident, Tony LaRusa, that insisted that Rollins be pitched to in that game Smile- probably remembering what it was like to have Mark McGuire pitched around back in the day.

Although, I have to admit that I agree that Tom Collins is not getting nearly enough attention these days. I heard recently that he has been sidelined by two of Bullwinkle's alleged friends; Mr. G. Goose-Martini, and that elusive world traveler, Ms. Le Mond Drop
Interesting take infielddad.

I always feel no matter how badly some try and screw up the game, that the game itself will triumph in the end. One encouraging thing I saw this spring was the amazing talent level exhibited by the World teams in general and Japan in particular. They appear to have many players ready for the big leagues. Thus, if given the proper care, baseball can thrive anywhere and under any circumstances.

With respect to Rollins, I agree it would be good for the game. I can't imagine someone breaking Joe D's record however. I believe Pete Rose came the closest to it at 44 games and that happened over two decades ago.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.