Skip to main content

How does one get recruited for their junior year coming from a junior college. My son played D1 as a freshman, is back home for his sophmore year and hopes to get back to a D1 school for his last two years. I don't understand how he will get recruited when the college coaches will be at there own games when my son is playing his in the spring and waiting to be seen in the summer seems very late in the process for attending school in the fall. Any ideas on the time frame involved?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

well first things first, make sure he understands that he MUST graduate from the 2 year in order to attend another Division I. Program needs for junior college players don't usually arise until the spring season is here anyway. Junior college guys are signed to fill immediate needs. Maybe a player that the coaches thought would perform isn't producing so now they have to go out and sign someone who will slide in to that role immediately and produce. Take care of your studies and perform on the field. Things will take care of themselves. Make sure that if you are producing on the field that your juco coach is going to bat for you. Make him aware of your intentions to go back to a D-1. I'm sure he knows enough coaches to make a few phone calls and get the word out there.
Our son was a 4-2-4 and signed in the early signing period with a D1. The D1 brought him in to start next year to fill a need. You or your son have to be proactive in putting out the word - contacting possible choices. There were JC showcases in the Fall. Key in the process is your JC coach. Have your son talk to him about where he thinks he can play. I assume you can find out what your program's track record is in getting kids to the next level. But college applications should already have been in, so get going.

As to how they find you, college scouts were at all the Fall scrimmages, and numerous pro scouts at our games too. The baseball community is a small one, and if your son performs, everyone will know. BUT - since nothing has happened yet, you need your son to send out letters, and follow it up with emails showing interest in the programs he thinks need a player like him. If you are not in a nationally ranked JC program, you have to work harder.

Last year, the top four pitchers signed in the Fall (four drafted and 2 signed), and the graduating position players and relief pitchers all signed in the Spring AFTER their JC season. That is because the coaches have a better idea of what they needed after the season ends and the draft takes place. Those players signing in the Spring went everywhere from the D1, D2, and NAIA levels. Obviously the kids signing in the early signing period got more scholarship money. My son's friends at other schools with less influential coaches had to scramble and go to pro showcases - signing right before school began in the Fall. I know it is nerve wracking to wait, but that is part of the process.
College coaches and scouts from 4 year schools do make it to plenty of the JUCO games. I signed late in the spring to a 4 yr school from a JUCO. Have your son talk to his coach about what schools he may be interested in, and have your son contact schools as well. Obviously, it is after the fall showcase season right now, but there is still plenty of time. With it being later in the game, he will want to get coaches interested enought to invite him for a workout, or come see him play, or both.
Much of how your son gets recruited during the season depends upon the JC league he is in and how well he performs against the better competition.

Pro scouts see a lot of JC games and are friends with 4 year coaches. The scouts often know what kind of player their friend is looking for (i.e. catcher) and helps them out with a referral. Your son's coach and the opposition's coach also have friends at 4 year programs and will do the same thing....if your son is a good player.

-In CA the JC season starts before the D1/D2 season so the coaches can see a few games before they become unavailable on weekends.
-During the D1 season coaches will come see a Thursday game and/or will attend a Monday practice to check out a player.
-Many D1 teams on the 1/4 system take a week off during the spring for finals and the D1 coaches will check out players during that time.
-Assistant D1 coaches and/or a friend of the program will come watch a JC player

Coaches and/or their assistant's will fly in to see a player/(s) that may help them meet a need.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.