Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

McKinney North totally dominated Poteet. North faced both "aces" and hit them hard. I believe 20+ hits in 2 games. Both North starting pitchers threw a combined 10 shutout innings. The 2nd game score was 7-4. Poteet scored in the 6th after a pitching change. The reliever had a little control problem and Poteet got a few hits. It amazed me how much smack talking was still going on in game 2 after North totally shut them down in game one. I believe this is a negative reflection on the leadership on that team. I know it went on under the previous regime, but the current staff allows it to continue. One player was ejected for Poteet and many tried to "show up" the ump at home plate. I have to commend the umps for not letting the game get out of hand. As usual, North played with integrity... win or lose as Coach Milam demands.
Ok NTXFan -- I do not condone inappropriate behavior by players, coaches, or fans. I was not at game 2. But, I think stealing 2nd with 1st and 3rd and 0 outs, up 9 in the 4th --- then bunting runners to 2nd and 3rd with 0 outs, while still up 9 in the 5th inning of game 1 MAY have contributed to (or initated) the trash talk in this series.

Having said that, you are right -- McKN dominated the series -- and they clearly earned the right to move on. They were without question the better team this past weekend. I wish the Bulldogs well against Midlothian.

I think integrity includes certain parts of game "strategy".

JMO.
quote:
Originally posted by baseballwatcher:
First off the umpiring was brutal in the second game...the interference that was called in the early innings was wrong, and the strike zone changed from inning to inning...winning with integrity---does that include while shaking hands after game two north players saying f@#& you instead of good game/good series...think before you write!!!!

Baseballwatcher,

Maybe we were at different games. I thought the strike zone was consistent. It really makes no difference. Poteet didn't hit and North did. The integrity was very apparent in the actions of the coaches and the team play. I can't attest to what was said after the game. It is very possible some of that was said... and set up by the 2 games of smack talking. How can you talk smack when you are getting your arse beat... bad? A player from Poteet told one of our players that he wished he was on another team.. he didn't like all the stuff that was going on. I think there are some good, quality kids on Poteet. It all starts with the coach. He either allows that stuff to go on or not. Apparently he allows it.

I saw coach Milam "counsel" a North player after the game when there was a show of emotion for the victory. I thought that showed a lot of class. He attempted to make sure that the North players did not "rub it in". He knows that what goes around comes around. And, he does not play that way.
Last edited by NTXFan
I would just like to say for the record, my son pitched both games against Mckinney North this year in 9-4A. He pitched a complete game in a 4-1 loss at home and was knocked out early in a 13-5 loss at North. In both instances, the North players were very classy. They told him nice pitching in the first game, and did not heckle or talk trash during or after the second game,even when they were hitting ropes Eek . They know they are good and they expect to win. Luckily (or not) my son is a junior at LD and he will have a chance at them next year. I wish nothing but the best for North and hope they go all the way. Having seen both North and Poteet, North was by far the better all around team. I will say that Poteet was very good and knew it, but unlike North, they channeled it the wrong way.
Last edited by Danny Boydston
quote:
I saw coach Milam "counsel" a North player after the game when there was a show of emotion for the victory. I thought that showed a lot of class. He attempted to make sure that the North players did not "rub it in". He knows that what comes around goes around. And, he does not play that way.

Maybe Poteet should play Newman Smith to see who has more trash! Of course Newman Smith has it in the stands to so you can clearly see where it come from on the feild.
OK heres the deal...I dont have connections to either team, I just went to watch a good series....I thought North got pretty much every break they could have, Poteet didnt....North hit the ball Poteet didnt...But I will say Ive seen Poteet play 7 or 8 times and thats the worst Ive seen them play...The interference call was awful, the pitch was a foot outside the kid swung on an obvious hit n run, there was no contact the catcher didnt come close to the hitter...go figure...who won the coin flip for umpires...GOOD LUCK TO NORTH!!!!!!
Baseballwatcher,

I am a fan of North and I was sitting down the third base line. I have to admit that from my vantage point, I did not see the interference, however, I did notice that the umpire made the call immediately without hesitation. I can only assume that he saw something. I am not going to try to defend a call either way that I didn't have a good view of. Poteet has proven they can be a good team. I suspect the bye week followed by a 1 game contest with Lake Dallas didn't help any. I know North was a little rusty in their first series after the bye week. I am a firm believer that there should be no byes. Everyone should keep playing.
quote:
Originally posted by Panther Dad:
Ok NTXFan -- I do not condone inappropriate behavior by players, coaches, or fans. I was not at game 2. But, I think stealing 2nd with 1st and 3rd and 0 outs, up 9 in the 4th --- then bunting runners to 2nd and 3rd with 0 outs, while still up 9 in the 5th inning of game 1 MAY have contributed to (or initated) the trash talk in this series.

Having said that, you are right -- McKN dominated the series -- and they clearly earned the right to move on. They were without question the better team this past weekend. I wish the Bulldogs well against Midlothian.

I think integrity includes certain parts of game "strategy".

JMO.

PD,

I respect your view of the game strategy, but if you had been at the 2nd game, you may have seen why there was no letting up in game 1. Runs can be scored quickly and were in game 2. You can't take chances in the playoffs. And, I think a team with Poteet's record and stout pitching and hitting can shut you down at anytime and score a lot of runs. Personally, I think that imaginary lead to "call the dogs off" is 10 runs... at least that is what my thoughts have been in the summer. Additionally, a run rule can save pitching... which all teams must do in the playoffs. I can assure you that North had no intentions of running up the score or trying to show Poteet up. That is not the way they play. Ask district teams if North stopped running/bunting during the year after a big lead.

Poteet is a talented team and would be received much better if they just let their play on the field do the talking. They have a lot of history and will be in the thick of things next year.
Last edited by NTXFan
quote:
JAFO -- we're not going to go there again, deal? Further comments concerning the Rowlett/CNS series and the delightful behavior that went on during that weekend will be deleted. You're better than that....

Facts are facts......PD Delete as you see fit.....it still doesn't negate the treatment that NS has dealt out. They WILL get a tastes of their own medicine this week. I will continue to stand by my comments. I think the power thing has gone to your HEAD. Loosen up and take and Advil! Just what we need an overbearing tyrant to limit freedom of speech. I for one am not impressed with your power play!
JAFO -- no one likes authority, but you need to remember the purpose of this site. It has nothing to do with power --- I could care less about "power". This site is about promoting HS baseball across the country --- this specific forum is meant to promote HS baseball in Texas. We have so much to brag about and to be proud of here. You're carrying on a discussion about treatment by fans and parents -- weeks ago? I am getting private messages from people that do not like that line of discussion. This isn't about freedom of speech either. The message board has rules -- why don't you review them?

Tell you what, I will defer my so-called "power" to those that have been here much longer than I -- Bighit and MN-Mom. Eric, Julie, please review JAFO's recent posts and make a decision on whether they can continue, specificially in terms of his view of Newman Smith. Thanks.

JAFO -- I have nothing against you -- if you recall, I'm actually a Rowlett fan. But enough is enough.
quote:
Originally posted by baseballwatcher:
OK heres the deal...I dont have connections to either team, I just went to watch a good series....I thought North got pretty much every break they could have, Poteet didnt....North hit the ball Poteet didnt...But I will say Ive seen Poteet play 7 or 8 times and thats the worst Ive seen them play...The interference call was awful, the pitch was a foot outside the kid swung on an obvious hit n run, there was no contact the catcher didnt come close to the hitter...go figure...who won the coin flip for umpires...GOOD LUCK TO NORTH!!!!!!

The location of the pitch or offensive play (hit & run) are irrelevant. There also does not have to be contact. The batter cannot be in the way period. Maybe he didn't "mean to do it", but he did it. That's all that counts. Many coaches teach their players to swing and end up in front of the plate after their swing as part of their follow through. Can't do it.
Point taken. I will part this topic with one last observation.

Newman Smith will lose this series and it won't be pretty. IMO they do not have the mental toughness to endure the type of good natured ribbing (as everyone wants to call it) that they themselves have exhibited in the past.

The collapse will be obvious from game one, inning one to game two, inning 5 as it will be a mercy rule sweep.

Thanks for your insight PD, MN Mom. I don't agree with your insight but will abide by your decisions. You have not heard the last of me. There will be other topics that I am sure we will not agree on and undoubtedly you will then again tell me to keep my mouth shut.

I voice facts and sometimes people don't want to hear or can't handle the truth. I will return!
dummhead
Last edited by JAFO
JAFO,

I am certainly not trying to run you off -- I hope you don't view this as a personal issue. By the way, I did not contact MN-Mom in private -- but everyone should be aware of the fact that she is frequently involved when discussions include views that are deemed "inappropriate" according to the site rules.

For what it's worth, I too think CNS will have their hands full -- but I think you may be underestimating their mental toughness. Whoever mentioned it earlier is correct --- TWHS brings it! And their fans can be rough. You can get that feel by exploring the Houston message board.

-PD
ok, like ive said before, i am a player for mckinney north and baseballwatcher the only F*** yous that were said at the end of the game were from the Poteet players... along with "you know this is BS" "how much did it cost u?" and "talk to me after the game" were just a few more things they said... these words only came from the back half of the line, while the front were very respectful and were telling us goodluck and go get em.... and yes one of the poteet players did say that they hated the team and that they hated how some of the players acted on his team.... but whats with kicking dirt in our third basemens face as he dove for a ball? and why push him after u do it? that was way to far and thats what sparked some of the comments that came from us because it was right in front of us..... it was a fun series and i hope we continue to win and i wanna thank the poteet players that were respectful...

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.