Skip to main content

NEW PORT RICHEY, FLORIDA - Patrick Schuster is beginning to make a mockery of the mystique behind throwing no-hitters.

Tossing one is incredible. Two in a row? That's implausible. Three? Unfathomable.

But the Mitchell High left-hander accomplished just that Monday night against Clearwater Central Catholic, tying a 24-year-old state record.

The University of Florida signee, graded a four-star prospect (out of five) by Baseball America, went seven innings without allowing a hit or a walk on 96 pitches. Only three Crusaders reached base, one that Schuster plunked and two on fielding errors, during Mitchell's 2-0 nondistrict victory.

The third straight no-hitter tied the Florida mark set in 1985 by Gonzalez Tate's Ben Webb.

"He's on a roll and he's got confidence in every pitch he's throwing right now," Mitchell coach Scot Wilcox said. "That's why we're seeing so much success out of him."

Wilcox said the performance couldn't have come at a better time. CCC had Mitchell on the ropes and Schuster had a load of pro scouts in attendance.

The 6-foot-3, 175-pound Schuster had 16 strikeouts.

"That was probably the best performance out of his last three," Wilcox said.

The streak started April 3 with a 17-strikeout game against Land O' Lakes. Five days later Schuster stopped River Ridge, adding 10 strikeouts. He has struck out 43 in the three games.

"In the past, Patrick tended to waste a lot of pitches once he got ahead of a hitter," Wilcox said. "Now if he gets up 0-2, he's doing a good job of wasting just that next pitch to try and get the batter to bite. Then with the next one he's coming right back and pounding the zone.

"His teammates around him are just watching and enjoying what they're seeing. It's not too often you get to see a performance like that three times in a row."

Schuster will try for consecutive no-hitter No. 4 on Monday night at home against another county power, Pasco High.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

TRINITY, FLORIDA - Can it get any better for Patrick Schuster and the Mitchell Mustangs?

Schuster will take the mound Monday at Pasco and attempt to do something never done in Florida high school baseball - throw his fourth consecutive no-hitter.

And with the help of ESPN, the nation knows about his feat. On Wednesday, during the 11 p.m. "SportsCenter," Schuster was part of the show's "Top Plays" segment. He was No. 3, right before the Yankees' third-to-first-to-third double play against the Rays.

"This is Patrick Schuster, a high-schooler from Florida," the announcer said. "He's thrown three no-hitters in 11 days. He's a dude."

On Thursday at practice, Schuster was taking it all in stride.

"I got a call from Coach Scot Wilcox about 10:30 p.m. and he said, 'I just wanted you to know you're going to be on 'SportsCenter,'" Schuster said. "I said that was cool and I'll watch it. I was watching another show in the other room and one of my buddies called and said, 'You beat the Cardinals. You beat Grady Sizemore.' I said, 'What are you talking about?' Then he told me I was in the Top 10. My mom taped the whole 'SportsCenter' show so I went and watched it."

Schuster, who is 7-0 with a 0.73 ERA and 93 strikeouts in 48 innings, has had to deal with the attention all season. It hasn't seemed to bother him.

"When you've had to deal with it all season like I have, it doesn't become pressure anymore," said Schuster, who is signed to play college baseball next year at the University of Florida. "It happens all the time. It's a constant so it's really not pressure."

While others might listen to Schuster and think he's a little cocky, Wilcox knows it's confidence - not ego.

"There's a lot of confidence with Schuster," Wilcox said. "He's not what you call a prima donna. He has the talent. He has the work ethic. So why not be confident?"

Schuster, who also pitched six innings of hitless ball against Brooksville Central on Feb. 17, has given up only five earned runs and nine hits in 48 innings. He also has one-hitters against Countryside and Gaither. When you talk to him, you get the idea the no-hitters are not a big deal.

"As far as the no-hitters, I think it's pure luck," Schuster said. "I've thrown three or four one-hitters. Every once in a while, someone will get a pitch they can poke. In the last three games, I haven't given anybody where they wanted it to poke it. I'm very fortunate for that and am looking forward to seeing what I can do against Pasco on Monday."

Schuster will have his hands full against Pasco. The Pirates (15-5) lead the county in home runs (32) and are second in batting average (.354). The Mustangs (18-3) lead the county with a .361 batting average.

Game time at Pasco is 7 p.m.

To see the video of Schuster

on "SportsCenter," go to

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4073191&category

Live game coverage for #4

http://blogs.tampabay.com/prep...04/another-nono.html
Last edited by Quincy
Tampa Bay area ball is high caliber.

If it were T-ball, I would see what you are saying.

He breaks a record that stood for twenty two years.

Twenty-two years ago, Sam Militello, a pitcher for Jefferson High School, pitched three consecutive no-hitters, tying a state record.

Twenty-four years ago, Ben Webb, a senior for Gonzalez Tate High School in the Florida panhandle, was the first to pitch three consecutive no-hitters.

Had he tossed a no-hitter against Alonso in 6A-7, he'd be a sure first rounder.
quote:
Don't worry, 17 doesn't even know what Dad of 17 says on here, and humility is one of his finest traits

but karma does. Wink

this is a great feat for anyone, but a high school player in that league. wow.

backstop good luck to your son's team, i hope he gets to face him again. with the same results.

but watch out for that karma,
quote:
Originally posted by TRhit:
as cynical as I am, and not taking anything away from the young man but how strong is the league he is pitching in?--

4 consecutives NO Hitters--- cmon now that does not happen 1

According to my sons teammate, who played against Schuster, he's a sidearm lefty, so that presents initial problems for batters, and now his velocity is up to 96.

Just those facts should probably reduce some of your cynicism and make it more understandable.

A sidearm lefty at 96...WOW,,,can you imagine what his slider will/does look like?
Last edited by CPLZ
I don't blame TR for being a bit cynical. Those thoughts crossed my mind also but I didn't want to say anything without doing a little research. Here's the PG report from the 2008 National Showcase. They had his fastball at 90mph at the showcase. The pertinent text is highlighted by me. Hopefully this is OK with PG as this was off perfectgame.org and available to everyone.

quote:
Patrick Schuster is a 2009 LHP with a 6'3'', 173 lb. frame from Holiday, FL who attends J W Mitchell HS. Schuster is an lean tall super projectable LHP who already can reach 90mph easily. He uses a deceptive slinging low 3/4 arm angle that makes his fastball extra lively. Shows a good breaking ball with sweeping bite that he commands well. His change has very good life and he locates it well. Patrick shows uncanny pitchability and he is not the guy you want to hit off of. He still projects large and it will be interesting to see where he is next spring. Top 2009 follow, one of the top lefties in the country and maybe the hardest to hit off of. He is also a very good student.

Then I used MaxPreps to see if he was playing against strong competition and to the degree possible it looks like he is.

Here's what mlb.com had to say:

quote:
MLB.com spoke to a scout about no-hit phenom Patrick Schuster. Here's what he had to say:
Patrick Schuster, LHP, Mitchell HS, Fla.
Fastball: It's average, touching 90 mph with downhill plane.

Curve: Also grades out as average. He throws it 74-77 mph.

Changeup: He throws it 78-80 mph. It's an average offering as well.

Summary: Schuster is an interesting, if not spectacular high school lefty who is pretty much average across the board. His has a funky, deceptive delivery and knows how to pitch. The University of Florida recruit won't be among the top high school pitchers taken, but no-hitters aside, he could be an interesting middle-round choice for a team that thinks it can sign him away from his college commitment. Could possibly go as high as fourth round.

The thing to realize here is that average is MLB average so here's a kid with 3 MLB average pitches and a deceptive delivery facing HS kids.
Last edited by CADad
We had a scout at that game yesterday. He will be writing a report. Thought someone might enjoy reading this stuff.

We have seen Patrick many times and have many reports. He has been to about 20 different PG events, including some of the events with the very most talent. We first saw him in 2005, he was listed as 5'10"/145. His fastball touched 80 mph and the only other pitch he showed was a 70 mph curveball.

2005 Report - Small lefty with decent velocity, and with good movement. Shows a good feel for pitching. Very young immature body, but the arm works and he can spin the ball. He will get bigger and stronger so he really needs to be followed. Lots of natural ability.

Here's another one... In 2007 we invited him to our underclass Aflac event in San Diego. Here is the report written by "yours truly" from that event in 2007.

Schuster might be the hardest pitcher to hit in the entire 2009 class. He has a lean 6-2/160 athletic body. He is real deceptive and comes at hitters from a low arm angle from the left side. His fastball has outstanding life and looks much harder than the 88 mph velocity he showed in San Diego. He has clean smooth whippy arm action and throws three quality pitches with great command. Those familiar with (08) Ryan Weber, this is him, except bigger and from the left side. There are guys who will throw harder right now, but none are any better. There's a ton of projection left here, too. Schuster is also a very good student. Sky is the limit!

Note: Patrick Schuster (anywhere in the country)throwing no hitters is not a surprise. Him giving up a grandslam is a gigantic surprise. That was a great accomplishment by 17s son.
quote:
Originally posted by PGStaff:
Here is some video from last year's PG National at the Metrodome.

Patrick Schuster

Thanks for posting that.

I see what you mean by the whipping action. I would throw away the radar gun when grading that kid. He has unbelievable movement on his pitches. The ball tails in and then tails away late from a right-handed hitter. No wonder he is getting no hitters.
quote:
Originally posted by ClevelandDad:
quote:
Originally posted by PGStaff:
Here is some video from last year's PG National at the Metrodome.

Patrick Schuster

Thanks for posting that.

I see what you mean by the whipping action. I would throw away the radar gun when grading that kid. He has unbelievable movement on his pitches. The ball tails in and then tails away late from a right-handed hitter. No wonder he is getting no hitters.

PS - he reminds me of Dan Quisenberry but perhaps better stuff and left-handed.
kbat,

That is a concern as well, but predicting TJ surgery within 5 years is getting to be a fairly safe bet.

On the other side... If Patrick were a power guy throwing with the same mechanics I'd be even more concerned. However, he is very much a finesse type who relies on movement and location. He simply doesn't put the same amount of stress on his arm as many others do.

I really do wish the 5 year review was used more in scouting. If he tears it up at the college and conference he is going to... Why would he need to change to play professional baseball? BTW, without any serious injury problems, this kid is going to be very successful at college or pro ball. He has a major ingredient... He is not only extremely talented... He is unusual!

Injuries are always a problem.
quote:
Originally posted by kbat2012:
Sorry to pour some cold water on a red-hot pitcher. I think the semi-side arm action put too much pressure on his elbow, I doubt if he could reach MLB level before he needs a TM surgery. On the other hand, his fastball although moving sideways but still sit too high for any good hitters at higher levels, no wonder 17's son got a hold on one of it and hit a GS. Look at Yankee pitcher Chien-ming w a n g this year, 34 ERA, that's when your fastball sit high move sideway but not sink.

With all these said, he still could be a good pitcher at college level. But he need some changes with his mechanic to play in the MLB. Mark my words here, we can discuss these 5 years later. JMHO

kbat- PGStaff was kind in not letting you have it. First of all, if you've been around the game long enough, you know that predicting injuries is an inexact science at best. Secondly, this is a celebration of his success- not an analysis of possible injuries in the future. Finally, 17's dad should be proud of his kid- just not in this thread.
Congrats. I showed my son the PG footage and all he said was, NASTY! I am glad of two things. One, we don't live in Florida and two, he is 4 years older than my son. That way, he will never have to face that nasty stuff. The kid is great. And if I was the pitchers parents I wouldn't care what was posted on a message board. 4 no hitters in a row! Going for five!

Absolutely awesome!
He gets some nice arm side run.

I'd probably get him to smooth out his front foot landing. He sort of stomps it down. Actually I'm kidding. He needs to keep doing what he's doing. If his arm falls off, it falls off. They can sew it back on later. He'll probably add 3-4 MPH in college making him 91-94 as a junior.
Last edited by Dad04
Some more info on Patrick:

Baseball: Schuster to throw out Rays' 1st pitch

By RICK HARMON

Tribune correspondent

Published: April 23, 2009

NEW PORT RICHEY - Scott Kazmir threw four consecutive no-hitters while he was in high school in Texas. Mitchell's Patrick Schuster has matched Kazmir's feat and will go for No. 5 Tuesday in the Class 6A-7 district tournament at Countryside High School.

On May 3, the two left-handers will meet as the Rays have invited Schuster to throw out the first pitch prior to the Rays-Red Sox game. Game time is 1:38 p.m.

Mitchell coach Scot Wilcox said prior to the Mustangs 2-0 regular-season finale win at Zephyrhills on Wednesday that Kazmir had asked to meet Schuster and the two will talk before the game.

Schuster is 8-0 this season with a 0.64 ERA and 110 strikeouts in 55 2/3 innings pitched.

----------

April 23, 2009

National no-hit king to attend Schuster's next start
Among the media throng expected at Patrick Schuster's next no-hit bid -- Tuesday at Countryside High -- will be the supreme authority on such a feat.

ESPN associate producer Tom Engle, who tied the national record with six consecutive no-hitters in Lancaster, Ohio, 20 years ago, is being dispatched to cover Mitchell's 4 p.m. semifinal contest in the Class 6A, District 7 tournament.

Schuster seeks his fifth consecutive no-no in that contest against the winner of Monday's St. Petersburg-Gaither game. Schuster tossed a three-hitter and one-hitter in wins against Gaither in the regular season. He didn't face St. Pete.

ESPN will provide pre- and postgame interviews, and live updates on ESPNEWS, the afternoon SportsCenter "Right Nows," and the 6 p.m. SportsCenter.

JOEY KNIGHT
Streak comes to end for Schuster

By RICK HARMON
Tribune correspondent

Published: April 29, 2009

CLEARWATER - Mitchell pitcher Patrick Schuster said he could tell during pregame warm-ups he didn't have the stuff that had led the Mustangs to a 22-3 record and four consecutive no-hitters.

But in the past, he has been able to overcome poor warm-ups.

Not Tuesday.

The senior left-hander gave up three hits, walked five and hit three batters in five innings as Gaither took advantage of Schuster's control issues for a 9-4 victory in the Class 6A-District 7 semifinals at Countryside.

The Cowboys (21-6) will face top-seeded Alonso (24-2) for the fourth time this season in Thursday's district final.

Schuster's no-hitter streak came to an end in the third inning in front of nearly 1,000 spectators. After Schuster hit Mike Danner to lead off the inning, Drew Doty hit an 0-1 pitch over right fielder Steve Brown's head for a double.

"I knew when it left my hand, he was going to hit it," said Schuster, who has signed with the University of Florida. "I was getting my pitches up all day."

Schuster's line: 5 innings, 3 hits, 5 runs, 3 earned, 5 walks and 3 hit batters. He threw 100 pitches, 57 for strikes.

Alonso's Thomas Dorminy scattered two singles and struck out eight as the Ravens beat Countryside 2-0 in the other semifinal. Alonso got a run in the first on an RBI single by Matt Brandy and an unearned run in the fifth.

Countryside (13-14) got its first two batters on in the top of the seventh but Dorminy got a strikeout and the Ravens turned a double play to end it.
I don't think it matters what we think, Schuster is in a win win situation.
If he goes to college, the coach knows he has future in pro ball, he will not over use or abuse him.
I may be wrong, but I am thinking he's not going to turn pro, yet. His strong commitment to college may not bring the round he is looking to be drafted in to give up college.

I agree, this topic is about his achievement, not about getting hurt or pitching against weaker competition.
Last edited by TPM
Trying to handicap high school baseball is like picking the Kentucky Derby. If the kid no hit 4 1A bible schools in a row, I'd still buy him an ice cream. None of the games were run ruled and all the teams were real 6A schools. He deserves all the attention he got and more.

Based on the PG reports, he could have a very nice college career with quick success, at the very least.
Last edited by Dad04

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.