Skip to main content

My son who is 17 throws a 4 seam and 2 seam fastball. The 4 seam is 2-3 mph faster than the 2 seam but the 2 seam has much more movement. When pitching in a game, he throws mostly 2 seamers and gets a lot of groundball outs. When he throws the 4 seamer, it gets hit much harder. When pitching in a showcase, should he throw the 4 seamer for the increase in velocity or the 2 seamer?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

mm77,
My son throws both fastballs as well with the same difference in velocity and movement. The key to both is location as well as mixing them with the changeup and curveball. He typically locates the 4 seam to the outside corner at the knees on a righty and rides the 2 seam into the righty...gets a lot of weak ground balls/pop ups with the 2 seam. Every now and again he goes up top with the 4 seam on an 0-2 or 1-2 count to cross up the hitter looking for the slow stuff.

My advice is to also show off both fastballs, especially if he can locate them well. The coaches/scouts that are watching will see the movement on the 2 seamer and notice the change in speed. But he should throw several 4 seamers to show his speed and ability to locate the heat.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.