Skip to main content

If a good student registers at a JUCO and tries out for baseball but doesn't make the team, does he still have the 4 years of eligibility remaining? Can he still be red-shirted later on, or the fact that he has gone to college for a year affect the red-shirting option? Will he still have the 5 years in to play 4 rule or would it now be 4 years to play 4?

Thanks!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Once the student registers for 12 hours of classes, the 5 year clock starts. Redshirt is a bit of a misnomer, it's basically that he doesn't play one year. Exceptions are granted if a player plays in the beginning of the season only, and then sits the rest of the year. Your son would not be allowed to sit another year without using up a year of eligibility. The only possible exception(s) to this, would be military service, religious mission, or catastrophic injury that forces him to miss more than one season. All of those require petitioning of the NCAA for reinstatement of eligibility.
Last edited by CPLZ
If I am correct, the 5 years to play 4 seasons should only pertain to NCAA Rules, I think the ruling is different for NAIA Schools. Where as in my case in college I started in the fall of 99' I left school after the 1st semester to attend an ill family member, did not return the 2nd semester, enrolled again in the fall of 2000, but only attended classes so I could stay home with my family, attended 1 semester in the fall again and did not return in the spring.

During the spring semester things started getting better at home so I decided to return to the field, I transfered colleges and played my first year, injured my elbow. I took the next year off to rehab my elbow, and transfered colleges again. I had to sit out the next year due to not having the proper amount of credits. So now it's 2004. I played my final year at a JUCO in 2005. Now all of my eligibility to play D1 was used up, however I was still able to play at a NAIA following that season.

So to sum it up, I think this rule only pertains to NCAA Standards.

Hope this helps.
Thanks CPLZ and NIC15. That helps alot.

So assuming the player goes to school, carries a full time load his year 1 in college and doesn't get ill or any have any other of the catastrophic events exempted by the NCAA, he would have 4 seasons eligibility remaining to play within the following 4 years at an NCAA member school (JUCO, Div 1, Div 2 and Div 3), with possibly somewhat different rules at an NAIA school.

I hope I have it right now!!

Thanks.
Last edited by New2This
quote:
Originally posted by New2This:
Thanks CPLZ and NIC15. That helps alot.

So assuming the player goes to school, carries a full time load his year 1 in college and doesn't get ill or any have any other of the catastrophic events exempted by the NCAA, he would have 4 seasons eligibility remaining to play within the following 4 years at an NCAA member school (JUCO, Div 1, Div 2 and Div 3), with possibly somewhat different rules at an NAIA school.

I hope I have it right now!!

Thanks.

With a JUCO you do not have to worry about the time clock, as with the NAIA schools. But otherwise, yes he would have 4 years left
quote:
Originally posted by 3FingeredGlove:
Um.....
I feel a little bit like a hall monitor here.

The 5 year clock is a rule that pertains to NCAA D1 only. NCAA D2 and D3 follow a rule which is very similar to NAIA. The player gets 10 full-time semesters (or 15 quarters) in which to complete 4 seasons of eligibility.

Thanks 3FG.

So D2 and D3 (and NAIA) is not so much as the clock ticking but rather is based on the number of full-time semesters completed. 10 full-time semesters is basically equal to 5 years if the player completes them consecutively.

I gather that means he could hold out a semester and continue in school later on, which would mean more than 5 years time wise, but still retain however many full-time semesters he had remaining under the 10 semester rule.

In what way are these rules different with JUCO's? Do JUCOs' go by the 5 year rule or the 10 semester rule? Or they don't go by either, but depending on whether the player transfers to a D1, D2, D3 or NAIA the school he transfers to will determine his eligibility based on their respective rule, less the time or semesters, he spent at the JUCO.
It is the latter; the JC just makes sure that he hasn't competed in more than two seasons. Otherwise he is ineligible.

A basic idea to keep in mind: a player is always subject to the rules of his current sanctioning body, and not any previous body. In future years, he'll be subject to the rules of the sanctioning body for his (possibly different) school.
Last edited by 3FingeredGlove
quote:
It is the latter; the JC just makes sure that he hasn't competed in more than two seasons. Otherwise he is ineligible.

A basic idea to keep in mind: a player is always subject to the rules of his current sanctioning body, and not any previous body. In future years, he'll be subject to the rules of the sanctioning body for his (possibly different) school.

Thanks, Thats pretty clear.

Does that mean then that a player attending a JUCO who doesn't compete in his first year at the JUCO can still play 2 seasons at the JUCO if he makes the team the following year, yet still have 2 seasons eligibility left once he transfers to a 4 year college?
Yes, if viewed from the narrow perspective of the 5 calendar year/10 semesters rule.

As many people have found out, attending a JC for 3 years puts the player at substantial risk of not meeting academic progress requirements. That's because most JCs don't offer courses which are acceptable as 3rd year courses for the degree program at the 4 year school.
quote:
Yes, if viewed from the narrow perspective of the 5 calendar year/10 semesters rule.

As many people have found out, attending a JC for 3 years puts the player at substantial risk of not meeting academic progress requirements. That's because most JCs don't offer courses which are acceptable as 3rd year courses for the degree program at the 4 year school.

Thanks. I had read a little about that problem in this forum, but did not really know what it meant.
3FG,
With NAIA is the clock ticking when the student is not enrolled, i.e. enrolls, drops out, re-enrolls at a later time...is the clock running during the dropped out phase?

How about, student enrolled at NCAA school, drops out, enrolls at NAIA school. Does NAIA recognize the NCAA time? Does the time at the NCAA school count? Does the time dropped out keep the clock ticking...

Hurry up and answer please, my hall pass is only good for this period. Big Grin
Last edited by CPLZ
NAIA has no clock. Neither does D3 or D2. A student who enrolls full-time at any collegiate institution, and attends one class consumes a term against the limit of 10/15. If he enrolls part time (and doesn't split a full load by enrolling at two schools), then he doesn't use a term.

Getting a Bachelors degree will end eligibility. [Only true in some cases--see later post.] Other wise, he can play sports as a grandfather!
A D2 example
Last edited by 3FingeredGlove
quote:

My younger did this, 3 years JC (1 RS year) and transfer to 4 year DI and playing DI ball but I agree with 3FG. It IS possible but you really have to plan and pay attention as the path is frought with pitfalls and the wiggle room is tiny...have to be on your game from day 1. Saw lots of players lose DI dreams in this way and not because of ability, but poor academic planning and execution...

One of the tricks (unless they plugged this hole)is to take 2 1/2 years FT ad 1/2 year PT...that means that technically the full 3 year level is not breached until mid year the first year at 4 year giving the player the chance to reach the 60% plateau taking 4 year upper division classes.

On the plus side the 3 year experience gave mine a valuable opportunity to grow as a player, as an academic and a person.

Cool 44
Last edited by observer44
08Dad,
Yup, I tangled that up. It is permissible for a graduated student to play if he stays at the school he graduated from, and has remaining eligibility.

The variations apply to players who wish to transfer.

In NAIA and D3, once a player graduates, he can't transfer to a new school and play, even though he may have seasons and semesters remaining.

In D2, a graduate can transfer and play if he has remaining eligibility.

In D1, a graduate can transfer and play if he qualifies for a one time transfer exception, and has remaining eligibility. In baseball, I doubt that a graduated player who is good enough to make the team could also qualify for a one-time transfer exception.
quote:
Originally posted by observer44:

One of the tricks (unless they plugged this hole)is to take 2 1/2 years FT ad 1/2 year PT...that means that technically the full 3 year level is not breached until mid year the first year at 4 year giving the player the chance to reach the 60% plateau taking 4 year upper division classes.

On the plus side the 3 year experience gave mine a valuable opportunity to grow as a player, as an academic and a person.

Cool 44

Thanks 44 for a real life experience example. One of the reasons we have thought about the 3 years at JC is for the maturity aspect. Gaining a year of physical development (son will graduate at 17) but not sitting out a year, however it seems you have to be very careful about course planning. In our case its doubtful our son would move on to a D1, but it seems you still have to be careful you don't screw things up for other division schools as well.
For what it is worth...

More detail...

3 years at JC is not for the lazy…not for the faint of heart…not for those who are not into detail. As 3FG has pointed out the pitfalls are many, the wiggle room very small…..

Pitfall ...Careful with the academic advisors at the JC’s…they are really hit and miss, and some of them simply horrid…the best resources we found were the athletic academic advisors at the 4 years. Their job is getting kids in and keeping them eligible, some of them simply know the transfer rules down cold. Have to find a good one though. 3FG is and was a great help as well.

Suggestion…do 2 ½ years full time and a fall term just under full time…this gives the athlete a chance to get into his major at the 4 year by the third full time year (which is thereby postponed until Mid year the first year at 4 year) This makes the 60% doable. Have to investigate insurance issues however, full time/PT can affect insurance rates.

Suggestion…The earlier a major is chosen at JC the easier it is to get the classes needed that will transfer and the greater choice of majors. The longer one waits the more difficult it is to make the 60% and the fewer options one will have. The more serious the major the earlier one must decide and specialize.

Pitfall…...Each 4 year has it's own idea of what classes a major consists of, and what transfers and what does not. DO NOT ASSUME that something transfers no matter how good it looks, talk to the 4 year far in advance, long enough to make course/schedule adjustments. For example mine took ONLY University of CA (highly academic) transferrable courses wrongly assuming that they would be respected anywhere. Was accepted at a high end University of CA campus on that basis. However when being recruited by a much less academic private school...at least 12 of those did not transfer….and he would have had to take 12 summer units to get in.

Cool 44

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.