Skip to main content

I know this is a HS site, but there are a lot of parents of college kids around.  43 days fellas....and it's time to hit the field.   Gonna be a bittersweet season for me, likely the last for the kid after having spent the last 17+ years on a field every spring.  Not sure what I'll do with my free time this summer lol.   Gonna try to hit as many games as I can this season.   No real "spring trip" this year due to a change in the academic calendar, but we get to go to Nashville two out of the first three weekends (MTSU & Belmont) then a weekend in Cincinnati.  Probably going to miss the Richmond trip.  Also get to head to Purdue for a weekday game, which should be fun....hoping RynoAttack's son takes it easy on us     If anyone is going to be in/around Nashville Feb 15-17 or March 1-3 let me know.  I'll buy you a beer lol

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Buckeye 2015 posted:

I know this is a HS site, but there are a lot of parents of college kids around.  43 days fellas....and it's time to hit the field.   Gonna be a bittersweet season for me, likely the last for the kid after having spent the last 17+ years on a field every spring.  Not sure what I'll do with my free time this summer lol.   Gonna try to hit as many games as I can this season.   No real "spring trip" this year due to a change in the academic calendar, but we get to go to Nashville two out of the first three weekends (MTSU & Belmont) then a weekend in Cincinnati.  Probably going to miss the Richmond trip.  Also get to head to Purdue for a weekday game, which should be fun....hoping RynoAttack's son takes it easy on us     If anyone is going to be in/around Nashville Feb 15-17 or March 1-3 let me know.  I'll buy you a beer lol

bacdorslider posted:

With only 6 away series, I plan on seeing every game, We have 37 home games and my office is 1.6 miles from the field.  Already bought the flights for Phoenix , Texas A&M, Columbia.... driving to Alabama, Kentucky and Georgia 

I see you are home vs Dayton Mar 1-3.  We'll be in town, we play at Belmont.  Our games are scheduled at the same time.  Maybe if my son isn't playing in one of the 3,  I'll stop by Vandy and catch a game.

bacdorslider posted:

By all means come by . The field Belmont uses is not next to the campus but it's close. Its a turf field, sits on a hill, HR park.......  Probably 5-10 minutes from Vandy and Belmont Campus is next the Vandy

Yep, we were there for Music City Classic when my son was 17....played at Belmont and Vandy.  We've got MTSU Feb 15-17, staying near the airport for that trip.  Looks like you'll be soaking up the sun in Phoenix that weekend

bacdorslider posted:

With only 6 away series, I plan on seeing every game, We have 37 home games and my office is 1.6 miles from the field.  Already bought the flights for Phoenix , Texas A&M, Columbia.... driving to Alabama, Kentucky and Georgia 

bacdor am I ever envious.... son is at the other end of the spectrum only 12 home games his senior year..let's hope they can add a few more in playoffs.

FriarFred posted:

Starts even sooner for D2...  2.1.19!  

Yep.   The one year (2015) my son played D2 ball (after 2 years JuCo) the opener was the day before the SuperBowl.   Had to get a waiver from the NCAA to start early.   Originally the opening doubleheader was scheduled for SuperBowl Sunday, but the coach was able to get the schedule changed.  Watched the games on Sunday (Son had the game winning HR in game 2) and arrived home Sunday just in time to watch the SuperBowl.

bacdorslider posted:

BDS, make SURE you make all the away series possible.  That was my thrill during son’s career at LSU. My goal was to see every SEC venue. I missed Arkansas trip his RS freshman season. We didn’t play at Tennessee, Missouri or UGA during his time at LSU, but I’ve been to UGA many times. 

Was fortunate to see every other venue in SEC along with Hoover for SEC tourney and Omaha. Some really great baseball memories for only 2 seasons. I’m looking forward to seeing what the next chapter has in store for him, but I will MISS college baseball. Enjoy it while it lasts. 

FoxDad posted:
FriarFred posted:

Starts even sooner for D2...  2.1.19!  

Yep.   The one year (2015) my son played D2 ball (after 2 years JuCo) the opener was the day before the SuperBowl.   Had to get a waiver from the NCAA to start early.   Originally the opening doubleheader was scheduled for SuperBowl Sunday, but the coach was able to get the schedule changed.  Watched the games on Sunday (Son had the game winning HR in game 2) and arrived home Sunday just in time to watch the SuperBowl.

Yes, looks like I will miss the Super Bowl traveling back home after son's opening series.   Depending on who is playing, may have to make some return flight changes.  Crazy that it starts that early but ready for some baseball again!  Good luck to everyone and their son's on the upcoming season!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.