Skip to main content

My senior son had right labrum surgery 5/24/12. He had two tears. Three anchors were installed.
This Wednesday he is being released to toss the ball lightly overhanded. In one more month, he will be released to start a program to try to get back to pitch/catch his senior year.
The problem is, there are so many philosophies and throwing programs out there - I don't know what to do! The doc and the PT collectively haven't given us any direction, even on request!
Can any of you please direct me to a program that has proven to be successful in getting players back in throwing shape? Is he supposed to throw daily? Every other day? Thanks in advance...
Below is more background on his surgery and therapy...

Freshman spring he was 85mph, freshman summer he re-habbed a slap lesion. Never got back to 85 after that, discovered a second tear, and had surgery.
A month ago, he was released to swing a bat right-handed, swing a golf club, and shoot baskets.
His PT has gone well, he has good range of motion and has had no pain from the surgery (took pain pills for one day after surgery).
PT has been reduced to two days a week. For the first 4 months it was 3 days a week, with daily homework on small muscle strengthening. Now, he doesn't even have the homework part! Wonder if he should be doing more?
After an average of 50 swings a day for the last three weeks, this past week he felt shoulder pain after a fouled-off pitch. It scared him and he went down. He got up and hit some more and has continued to hit every other day pain free since.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Coming back from a severe injury is so difficult. I hope and pray your son continues to heal and regain his strength to play again. One of mY son missed his Senior year due to injury, another injured himself just as the season ended his senior year. One is still playing, the other is still trying to make a comeback and find an opportunity.

Best of luck to your son!
Sorry, haven't been around in awhile, but here you go...

Preventive & Rehabilitative Exercises for the Shoulder & Elbow, 6th Edition

My son had his surgery in July and came back to pitching by the third game of the regular season (March). He made it back to the rotation by the 5th weekend and spent the whole season pitching at around 85 mph (down from 92). The next fall, he regained his former velocity and was up to 94.

Being cleared to play does not mean an instant return to previous form. With labrums it can take quite awhile.

Best of luck,
Chip

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.