Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Not really baserunning, its speed.

Speed, most definitely, but I think the ability to read pitchers and other baserunning skills are important, too. If you're blinding fast but get picked off too frequently or make bad baserunning decisions, then your speed doesn't help you.

Fielding and throwing can be measured by assists, putouts, errors and fielding percentage.
quote:
Range is really important but it's hard to evaluate with cold, hard stats.

Correct -- and ironically, outstanding range can actually lead to a lower fielding percentage.

Quoted from a baseball message board:

Poster 1: "What I don't like about Furcal at times is the fact that he makes too many errors."

Poster 2: "True, but he has fantastic range. Errors are such a poor measure of defensive skill, it's sickening. He makes more errors because he gets to a lot of balls and has a lot more chances. The converse would be someone like Derek Jeter, who doesn't have very good range, so he makes fewer errors because he can't get to a lot of balls which would end up being tough plays and possibly errors."

Quoted from another message board:

Poster 1: "Strict adherance to subjective analysis is just as dangerous, though. Let's take a player named... oh, I don't know... Derek. Derek makes a lot of diving stops, which makes him look like a great defensive player. Unfortunately, he has to make those diving stops because he has the range of a midget with a broken leg, so he can't get to the ball normally. That's the type of thing that can only be measured in statistics, unless you are a **** good scout (able to pick up on bad footwork, let's say)."

Poster 2: "On the other hand, take Rafael Furcal...
He has had many errors in the past season, for example, but that's only because he has been able to reach balls that others couldn't. And a player getting up from a diving catch and throwing to first (when another player wouldn't have got to the ball in the first place) is vulnerable to errors. Stats in general are good for a first impression... but you should have first hand knowledge in order to interpret them correctly."

http://coffeyvillewhirlwind.wordpress.com/2005/11/04/th...with-the-gold-glove/
Last edited by Infield08
They are graded as to how they perform at their position. How they track a ball in the outfield. How they field a ball in the infield. How they receive as a catcher. Lots of things that go in to that but that's the general idea.

I spoke to a friend of mine, Jeff Spellman, the other day. Jeff owned Team One Baseball and was one of the originators of the top national showcases along with the Area Code Games with Bob Williams. Jeff was talking about the top players at the event throughout the years. He felt David Wright was a solid player but didn't see him becoming a star. Josh Hamilton probably had as much or more tools than anybody. Bottom line- just keep playing the game.
The 5 tool talk came about in the early 50's when writers and coaches began to compare guys like Mays and Mantle, as I have heard from those older than me.
It has little to do with knowledge or range.

Its everything to do with athleticism and baseball ability.
Mays, could Run fast, Hit with Power, Hit for Average, Field well or Catch the ball and Throw with the best of them.
Catchers who can do all 5 have been few, but I-Rod could be considered one. Yes, by position, you can rate fielding differently, but its pretty cut and dried. A guy can either do all 5 or Not.
Rating them at a young age should be left up to scouts, and they know even they can be wrong sometimes.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.