Skip to main content

55 Colleges Under Investigation Over  Handling Of Sexual Violence Complaints

http://us.cnn.com/2014/05/01/u...x.html?c=&page=0
http://www.cnn.com/2014/images/05/01/sex_assault.pdf

Parents & Coaches, beyond teaching and instructing our young men on the skills of sports, please take the time to discuss Right from Wrong, No means No, Under Age Drinking & The Use Of Illegal Drugs...
Sad thing that it happens... even sadder when Schools try to cover it up, in order to protect their image and status, and the almighty dollar!
"Play each game, like it's your last... because, you never know when it might be"
Last edited by Shelby
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I thought I would list the schools since some may not take the time to click on the links.

"Such investigations have long been known, but this is the first time that the department has released a list of all probes currently under way.

The list includes colleges and universities in 27 states and in the District of Columbia."

I am saddened that two of our respected Virginia schools are on the list.

State Institution
AZ Arizona State University
CA Butte-Glen Community College District
CA Occidental College
CA University of California-Berkeley
CA University of Southern California
CO Regis University
CO University of Colorado at Boulder
CO University of Colorado at Denver
CO University of Denver
CT University of Connecticut
DC Catholic University of America
FL Florida State University
GA Emory University
HI University of Hawaii at Manoa
ID University of Idaho
IL Knox College
IL University of Chicago
IN Indiana University-Bloomington
IN Vincennes University MA Amherst College
MA Boston University
MA Emerson College
MA Harvard College
MA Harvard University—Law School
MA University of Massachusetts-Amherst
MD Frostburg State University
MI Michigan State University
MI University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
NC Guilford College
NC University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
ND Minot State University
NH Dartmouth College
NJ Princeton University
NY Cuny Hunter College
NY Hobart and William Smith Colleges
NY Sarah Lawrence College
NY Suny at Binghamton
OH Denison University
OH Ohio State University
OH Wittenberg University OK Oklahoma State University
PA Carnegie Mellon University
PA Franklin and Marshall College
PA Pennsylvania State University
PA Swarthmore College
PA Temple University
TN Vanderbilt University
TX Southern Methodist University
TX The University of Texas-Pan American
VA College of William and Mary
VA University of Virginia
WA Washington State University
WI University of Wisconsin-Whitewater
WV Bethany College
WV West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine

Originally Posted by igball:

If you liked how the Duke Lacrosse case was handled, you'll love this new law.  Guilty until proved innocent will be codified. Young men will be targeted and lives ruined due to mutual poor judgement -  which defines most college hook ups.

All the more why it is vital to talk to our young men & women. To make sure they are clear on the pitfalls out there. About making wise choices. About being careful about the situations, environments they place themselves in, as well as the people they associate with. One can try and make all the right choices and decisions, and still be vulnerable. Parents, make sure that your daughter's know safety procedures,  and self protection.

igball - "mutual poor judgement hook ups"...that's assuming things are mutual. Unfortunately,  they aren't always, or are not sound clear decisions, that would be made with clearer heads. And that is what they are investigating.
Last edited by Shelby

Originally Posted by James G:

Good topic and relevant thread for here Shelby. Hopefully this one picks up and the Sterling one dies. 

I'll be interested to see what action comes from this report. Some big time schools on this list. Any administration involved in any cover-up should also be named and fired immediately.

Well James, personally I hope the Sterling thing never dies, and that this one should be right alongside of it, with people screaming to high heaven about it every day. Gun violence, inhumanity, child molestation, and any other morally corrupt behavior should be there too, so we never forget!

Originally Posted by keewart:

I thought I would list the schools since some may not take the time to click on the links.

"Such investigations have long been known, but this is the first time that the department has released a list of all probes currently under way.

The list includes colleges and universities in 27 states and in the District of Columbia."

I am saddened that two of our respected Virginia schools are on the list.

State Institution
AZ Arizona State University
CA Butte-Glen Community College District
CA Occidental College
CA University of California-Berkeley
CA University of Southern California
CO Regis University
CO University of Colorado at Boulder
CO University of Colorado at Denver
CO University of Denver
CT University of Connecticut
DC Catholic University of America
FL Florida State University
GA Emory University
HI University of Hawaii at Manoa
ID University of Idaho
IL Knox College
IL University of Chicago
IN Indiana University-Bloomington
IN Vincennes University MA Amherst College
MA Boston University
MA Emerson College
MA Harvard College
MA Harvard University—Law School
MA University of Massachusetts-Amherst
MD Frostburg State University
MI Michigan State University
MI University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
NC Guilford College
NC University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
ND Minot State University
NH Dartmouth College
NJ Princeton University
NY Cuny Hunter College
NY Hobart and William Smith Colleges
NY Sarah Lawrence College
NY Suny at Binghamton
OH Denison University
OH Ohio State University
OH Wittenberg University OK Oklahoma State University
PA Carnegie Mellon University
PA Franklin and Marshall College
PA Pennsylvania State University
PA Swarthmore College
PA Temple University
TN Vanderbilt University
TX Southern Methodist University
TX The University of Texas-Pan American
VA College of William and Mary
VA University of Virginia
WA Washington State University
WI University of Wisconsin-Whitewater
WV Bethany College
WV West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine

Are you going to publish a list of schools found to have done nothing wrong once this investigation is complete, just in case we don't bother clicking on the link?

Smitty, If someone posts a followup story, with the link embedded of the schools that were found to have complied with the handling of the sexual violence complaints, I will be MORE than glad to "publish it".

I copied the list due to the varied nature of the schools involved:  small, large, ivy, private, public, etc.  

Originally Posted by keewart:

Smitty, If someone posts a followup story, with the link embedded of the schools that were found to have complied with the handling of the sexual violence complaints, I will be MORE than glad to "publish it".

I copied the list due to the varied nature of the schools involved:  small, large, ivy, private, public, etc.  

No worries keewart, I'm sure there won't be a follow-up story exonerating the schools on this list that were found to comply, so you're off the hook.  But I suspect you know that.  It's easy to announce an investigation and cast a wide net and name names, it's a whole different thing to publicize the findings and point out where they were wrong.  There's an aspect of "guilty until proven innocent" to this that doesn't smell right.

Reed Seligman, former Duke lacrosse player said due to the legal and media rush to judgment has has to live with the middle name "formerly accused Duke rapist" for the rest of his life. It would be nice if institutions and the media do conclusive work before they destroy reputations of the innocent.

Originally Posted by redbird5:

Now seems an appropriate time to shut this one down.

Unfortunately, the original post that I posted, got side tracked and off point.
Yes, there is bureaucracy, politics, red tape...
Yes, it should be innocent until proven guilty...
Yes, it should be given as much media attention if found innocent, as the allegations do...
Yes, it can cause irreparable damage to innocent people accused...

But even more to the point...
Yes, accusations were made...
Yes, enough accusations were made to warrant investigation...
Yes, we as Parents, Coaches, Colleges... need to confront this, deal with this head on, and not brush it under the rug, hoping it will all just quietly go away...
Yes, the same adults need to discuss this, educate on, to our young men and women...and what to do about it, if it happens, or if you suspect it of happening..
Yes, we need to teach how to try to avoid these things happening...

And most importantly...
That NO does NOT mean Yes...not ever!

And for those points, I hope it draws awareness, and poster's clean up their posts, agree to disagree. It is a very serious subject! I hope the post stands.
Last edited by Shelby
Link copied to your clipboard.