Skip to main content

Mansfield 9 6 1
Arl Lamar 1 5 4

WP Lane
LP Laronde

Mansfield 2B's; Mabra, McCleery, Miller
Lamar 2B's; Wilson, Dondero

Mansfield clinched 1st in 4-5A. I hope Miller is okay for the playoffs. There was no intent to hurt the kid on the Lamar Kids part. I did think some of the fans sitting down near the backstop acted way over the top with all of the screaming at the umpires to have the kid tossed. It only made the situation worse. I can understand the frustration of having a player hurt, but injuries can happen. MAV...Good hit by Mabra. That was huge for you guys. Again keep Lamar updated on Millers status. He is a really good player and was fun to watch.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by HRKB:
Flower Mound over Coppell 4-0

It was a nice 1 hit shutout with Zack Adams going 5 and Asing closing the final two innings.

FM 4 8 0
Coppell 0 1 0

Both teams seemed a little flat but with LISD (Flower Mounds school district) being closed for the Swing Flu crisis, I guess you might expect that. It was also Coppells senior night so emotions were strained.

Playoffs are finally here!
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar Fan 08:
Mansfield 9 6 1
Arl Lamar 1 5 4

WP Lane
LP Laronde

Mansfield 2B's; Mabra, McCleery, Miller
Lamar 2B's; Wilson, Dondero

Mansfield clinched 1st in 4-5A. I hope Miller is okay for the playoffs. There was no intent to hurt the kid on the Lamar Kids part. I did think the young girl in the blue dress was way over the top with all of the screaming she did at the umpires to have the kid tossed. I can understand the frustration of having a player hurt but injuries can happen. MAV...Good hit by Mabra. That was huge for you guys. Again keep Lamar updated on Millers status. He is a really good player and was fun to watch.

Are you really serious??? The player intentionally tossed the bat and it struck the catcher in the face breaking his jaw.

Injuries do happen and when in that situation the player should have been ejected. Instead of posting something about a college age girl yelling at the umpire as was everyone in their right why don't you post something about the player or the coaching staff.

Gutless and Classless act... Bottom Line
I have seen where you played some ball in your days, so I guess you realize injuries do happen, even in baseball...

Again, nobody truly realized what had happened. The player himself was running the fly ball out. How would he know what happened. Your own coaches didn't hustle out there. It was neither gutless or classless. It's called an accident...They sometimes happen.
Last edited by Lamar Fan 08
Lamar Fan this is my 1st post and last post on this site as I enjoy keeping up with all of the information on here I am not one to chime in much but anyway you have repeatedly done something that if you were a parent or are a parent should know is crossing the line and that is refer to somebodies child as classless and if that is your opinion then fine but keep it to yourself because if there is one thing that I have learned on this site derogatory comments about a specific kid are supposed to be kept to yourself. As far as the incident goes I do not blame the kid or anyone bottom line is several kids on your team had been throwing there bat back towards the dugout all night long and even though I truly beleive it was not intentional the act not the intention was supposed to be punished. But getting back to my daughter yes maybe she did get a little loud but the kid laying on the ground is a good friend of hers and one of her brother's best friend's (which is the pitcher by the way)so for coaches or umpires not to take action was uncalled for so anyway if you have any further comments to make about my daughter then please wait til we see each other face to face because as a parent the last thing you want to hear is someone slamming your child wether deserved or not and yelling at the umpire to do the right thing is not deserved of being called classless several times. Thank You and I hope you take this serious.
tigerfan09,

Go read my first post and find where I said anything about classless. I said the girl was over the top with her antics. And that is the truth. Did I use the girls name, Nope...Now I will take out my later post but I was only responding to the comments made by Mav about the Lamar fans not having class. Please re-read my first post...The words I used were "Over the Top".

And if you read my first post, you would also see that I feel terrible about what happened to the player. Thanks for the warning...
quote:
I have seen where you played some ball in your days, so I guess you realize injuries do happen, even in baseball...

Again, nobody truly realized what had happened. The player himself was running the fly ball out. How would he know what happened. Your own coaches didn't hustle out there. It was neither gutless or classless. It's called an accident...They sometimes happen.

It was an accident he hit the catcher with the bat. It was NOT an accident that he threw the bat with enough force to break the kids jaw.

And I witnessed the act and saw your coaches. So yes we do know what happened.
Mav...

I don't want to continue this debate so I will leave you with these final thoughts. I don't think anyone saw the actual play and how it happened. I think you of all people should know that everyone was watching a certain Player, you know him very well yourself, make a catch in Right Field on the play. The next thing everyone knows is that the catcher is on the ground and no one realizes what happened. The umpires were watching the ball fly to right and that is why they didn't see what happened either.

Now just what if, the bat bounced just right to hit him up under the face mask. It wouldn't take a lot of force for a break to happen if the bat hit him at the right angle. Again, it is terrible that it happened. But don't take your frustration of the event out on the coaches or players or parents at Lamar.
quote:
Mav...

I don't want to continue this debate so I will leave you with these final thoughts. I don't think anyone saw the actual play and how it happened. I think you of all people should know that everyone was watching a certain Player, you know him very well yourself, make a catch in Right Field on the play. The next thing everyone knows is that the catcher is on the ground and no one realizes what happened. The umpires were watching the ball fly to right and that is why they didn't see what happened either.

Now just what if, the bat bounced just right to hit him up under the face mask. It wouldn't take a lot of force for a break to happen if the bat hit him at the right angle. Again, it is terrible that it happened. But don't take your frustration of the event out on the coaches or players or parents at Lamar.

First of all the ball was caught in centerfield not by the rightfielder. Second... I was watching the player who hit the ball to see what his reaction would be. Third the catcher had taken his mask off because it was the third out. Fourth... I saw the injury after the player came out of the dugout on the way to the hospital and told him to get there immediately. Fifth... after the bat struck the catcher, I immediately looked at the third base coach who was looking at both players then he put his head down and walked to the dugout.

So... For you to say no one saw the incident is completely false.
Okay, I'll bite with one more comment.

I never said you didn't see the player after he left the dugout or on the way to the hospital.
I also saw the coach head to the dugout after the at bat. Again, I think it was not realizing the seriousness of the injury.

I will have to check the books on who made the catch. The ball went to Right Center so won't debate you on that but it did not go directly to CF so your son was in on some of that action even if it was backing up the play. And if you were watching every move the batter, catcher and coach made, how do you know who caught the ball in the outfield? I can't say that I saw the catcher remove his mask. The umpire was standing in my view.

My comment, toung in cheeck, was to illustrate that many people saw the incident go down in a different way and I don't think anyone person, including you, saw every detail on the play and how it all played out.
Unfortunately, I did see how the incident played out. I was standing at an angle that allowed me to be able to see the batters box and the 3rd base coach.

It was a lazy fly ball. I assumed that our outfielders would catch it and besides I don't think the catcher would have taken off his mask if the ball wasn't caught. I never saw the catch just so you know.

You can make all the excuses you want for the player and coaches you want. The bottom line: The player is responsible for the bat and he flung the bat with enough force to break the players jaw and you are ok with that. Because injuries are part of baseball...

I pray that if you have children, you do not teach them that.
As with tigersfan09 this is my first post on this web-site. This thread is the reason that I got an account. I played baseball for Lamar for four years and continue to play at the college level. I thought that I might be able to provide all of you with a different perspective on the situation. I graduated last year and happened to be back in town at the time of this game. I know all of the Lamar players and coaches very well and I know for a fact that the player accused of "throwing" his bat did not do so with the intent of hurting the catcher. Having caught previously in my baseball career I have been taught to keep my mask on throughout the duration of a play, this has protected me from the countless times that I was hit in the mask with a "thrown" bat. I also did not witness any of the bat throwing that some of you talked about in previous posts. In fact, I even witnessed one Lamar player carry his bat with him all the way to first base and back after flying out.

Also, having played baseball at many different levels, I agree with Lamar Fan when he says that injuries are a part of baseball. Getting cleated at a base is just as if not more malicious then flipping your bat out of frustration yet it rarely gets called. On to the subject of the umpires and coaches not seeing it happen. May I ask what you consider an umpires job to be? I thought it was to watch a play and be able to make a call. I didnt know it was to watch things going on behind the play... they were just doing their job. As for the coaches, they are equally interested in how they play will turn out so of course they did not see it happen either. No one, not even the Mansfield coaches, ran out very quickly. In fact, once they did get there the catcher got up, threw off his gear and stormed to the dugout on his own...

I also have an argument with tigersfan09 and the accusation that his daughter is "classless." I have two points that I think you should listen to and put into action. First of all, have you ever heard of punctuation? It can help make you seem more intelligent and to get your point across. Getting back on track, when the incident happened I was standing against the backstop on the Lamar side with a group of my friends and former players. To be honest when it first happened we all thought that the catcher was faking it. I mean he seemed a little dramatic. However, after all of that the catcher and the girl in question were standing directly behind us watching the game. I turned around to see if he was alright and before I can even blink I hear, and i quote, "What the **** are ya'll smiling at? I'll beat your ***!" Now the last time I checked people do not consider this a classy act, but I will leave that for you to decide.

Sincerely,

LAO08 (Lamar Always Owns)
quote:
Originally posted by LAO08:
As with tigersfan09 this is my first post on this web-site. This thread is the reason that I got an account. I played baseball for Lamar for four years and continue to play at the college level. I thought that I might be able to provide all of you with a different perspective on the situation. I graduated last year and happened to be back in town at the time of this game. I know all of the Lamar players and coaches very well and I know for a fact that the player accused of "throwing" his bat did not do so with the intent of hurting the catcher. Having caught previously in my baseball career I have been taught to keep my mask on throughout the duration of a play, this has protected me from the countless times that I was hit in the mask with a "thrown" bat. I also did not witness any of the bat throwing that some of you talked about in previous posts. In fact, I even witnessed one Lamar player carry his bat with him all the way to first base and back after flying out.

Also, having played baseball at many different levels, I agree with Lamar Fan when he says that injuries are a part of baseball. Getting cleated at a base is just as if not more malicious then flipping your bat out of frustration yet it rarely gets called. On to the subject of the umpires and coaches not seeing it happen. May I ask what you consider an umpires job to be? I thought it was to watch a play and be able to make a call. I didnt know it was to watch things going on behind the play... they were just doing their job. As for the coaches, they are equally interested in how they play will turn out so of course they did not see it happen either. No one, not even the Mansfield coaches, ran out very quickly. In fact, once they did get there the catcher got up, threw off his gear and stormed to the dugout on his own...

I also have an argument with tigersfan09 and the accusation that his daughter is "classless." I have two points that I think you should listen to and put into action. First of all, have you ever heard of punctuation? It can help make you seem more intelligent and to get your point across. Getting back on track, when the incident happened I was standing against the backstop on the Lamar side with a group of my friends and former players. To be honest when it first happened we all thought that the catcher was faking it. I mean he seemed a little dramatic. However, after all of that the catcher and the girl in question were standing directly behind us watching the game. I turned around to see if he was alright and before I can even blink I hear, and i quote, "What the **** are ya'll smiling at? I'll beat your ***!" Now the last time I checked people do not consider this a classy act, but I will leave that for you to decide.

Sincerely,

The one thing that you and Lamar 08 leave out are the facts...

The player did not toss the bat. He flung it with enough force to break the players jaw. Faking it ? Why on earth would he be trying to fake an injury ? What purpose would it serve? If you and your friends would have seen this players face while on the way to the hospital, I think you would have a different perspective.

So in a nutshell what I am reading here is its ok to throw your bat and hit someone because that is part of baseball and also it was the catchers fault for taking his mask off prior to being in the dugout.

I will also assume that the player who threw the bat should not be held accountable in any way.

Please tell me that if that had happened to your catcher that you, your friends and the crowd would not have been yelling at the umpire.

I also saw SEVERAL players throw their bats and helmets. Maybe one walked back to the dugout with it but he was in the minority.

Did you and your buddies clap for the player after he got up from faking his broken jaw?
MAV...

This debate between you and anyone from Lamar is tiresome...

You keep talking about leaving out facts, you saw this and that and that no one else saw what you saw. There are obviously different perspectives of the event. It does not make your perspective the only meaningful one...

LAO08 was trying to give his perspective of the event. You don't agree, fine, but your are not the all knowing like you come on here and want to make everybody believe.

I do agree with you, that I didn't think the catcher was faking an injury. But I wasn't standing down close to the backstop.

Again, the point your missing is that it was an accident and I am not sure what you are accomplishing by continually dragging umpires, coaches, players, and fans through the mud.

I made a mistake by bringing up an individual fan of the Tigers and have since edited any comments about the individual. Please accept an apology by me from all of Lamar because it appears that is what you need to satisfy this anger issue you have.

And No, it is not okay to throw your bat but I am sure you never did that in your playing days either.
quote:
MAV...

This debate between you and anyone from Lamar is tiresome...

You keep talking about leaving out facts, you saw this and that and that no one else saw what you saw. There are obviously different perspectives of the event. It does not make your perspective the only meaningful one...

LAO08 was trying to give his perspective of the event. You don't agree, fine, but your are not the all knowing like you come on here and want to make everybody believe.

I do agree with you, that I didn't think the catcher was faking an injury. But I wasn't standing down close to the backstop.

Again, the point your missing is that it was an accident and I am not sure what you are accomplishing by continually dragging umpires, coaches, players, and fans through the mud.

I made a mistake by bringing up an individual fan of the Tigers and have since edited any comments about the individual. Please accept an apology by me from all of Lamar because it appears that is what you need to satisfy this anger issue you have.

And No, it is not okay to throw your bat but I am sure you never did that in your playing days either.

Dude... the village called... they want their idiot back
i heard about this issue from a friend. wasn't at the game but heard from a very reliable source who was about what happened. obviously nothing said on here will change MAV's mind about what happened and then what should have happened. However, I know LamarFan08 and there is no need to call anyone, especially him, an idiot. This guy is probably one of the most fair, in it for the kids guy that i have met at lamar. i think he started this whole thing by expressing concern for the injured kid. If Lamar coaches or the umps didn't do what you think they should have done then call or email them.
quote:
Originally posted by screwball:
quote:

LAO08

First of all, what does "Lamar Always Owns" mean? This makes no sense. Maybe you took one too many shots to the helmet.

Secondly, sounds like you provoked the "lady" from mansfield by looking in their direction.

I was wondering the same thing..2 playoff wins in like 10+ years is pure domination
Lamarfan,

Thanks for asking. Son learned alot his first year in college ball. Biggest thing for him was keeping up with his classes and grades. He ended up on Deans List. He just worrys alot.

Don't know if i want to associate with the likes of you Lamar fans. I'm trying to take the high road now days. Just couldn't sit by and watch this conversation continue without standing up for you a little.
quote:
i heard about this issue from a friend. wasn't at the game but heard from a very reliable source who was about what happened. obviously nothing said on here will change MAV's mind about what happened and then what should have happened. However, I know LamarFan08 and there is no need to call anyone, especially him, an idiot. This guy is probably one of the most fair, in it for the kids guy that i have met at lamar. i think he started this whole thing by expressing concern for the injured kid. If Lamar coaches or the umps didn't do what you think they should have done then call or email them.

I believe you are correct that he started off and finished up with genuine concern for the player. Unfortunately the middle was what got to me. So I am going to assume that since the player didn't mean to break the kid's jaw everything is ok.

I apologize, I've only been around baseball 41 years. It never occurred to be that throwing a bat and hitting another player with it was "part of the game".

So if I take my car and run over you breaking your leg and get out and say "oops it was an accident" you would be ok with that?
ok i'll bite.

if you have been around the game for 41 years then you have obviously seen alot of things that happened and were missed by the umps. if the kid did throw his bat, intentional or not, he should be warned and then ejected if it happens again. I'm not an expert on the rules but i think it is something like that. if the ump saw it and did nothing then that sucks and shame on the ump. but guess what, probably not the first time and won't be the last that the umps missed something or didn't make the right call. but, after 41 years, you surely know this.

with regard to the car example, if you intentionally run over my leg then we have a problem, if it is an accident then again, it sucks and hurts, but what can i do.
quote:
ok i'll bite.

if you have been around the game for 41 years then you have obviously seen alot of things that happened and were missed by the umps. if the kid did throw his bat, intentional or not, he should be warned and then ejected if it happens again. I'm not an expert on the rules but i think it is something like that. if the ump saw it and did nothing then that sucks and shame on the ump. but guess what, probably not the first time and won't be the last that the umps missed something or didn't make the right call. but, after 41 years, you surely know this.

with regard to the car example, if you intentionally run over my leg then we have a problem, if it is an accident then again, it sucks and hurts, but what can i do.

Well Mr. Screw I guess that's just baseball huh ?
yep, peers so.

seriously, what do you want? do you want lamar to organize and complain to the coach about this kid? please. if you really feel as stongly as you appear to on hear, take it somewhere where it matters.

if something happens on the field then the umps are the ones that deal with it. if you do not like what they did, complain to them. not the lamar fans. i would venture to guess that all of us who have played or have sons that play have a story about an apparent injustice on the field. as much as you do not like to hear it, it happens.
quote:
yep, peers so.

seriously, what do you want? do you want lamar to organize and complain to the coach about this kid? please. if you really feel as stongly as you appear to on hear, take it somewhere where it matters.

if something happens on the field then the umps are the ones that deal with it. if you do not like what they did, complain to them. not the lamar fans. i would venture to guess that all of us who have played or have sons that play have a story about an apparent injustice on the field. as much as you do not like to hear it, it happens.

ummm... I must have missed something... I wasn't complaining to the Lamar fans. The main thing I was attempting to get across to Lamar 08 was the incident was not an accident and not part of baseball.
ok dude, this is getting really old. exactly what ARE you complaining about? the fact that it happened? the fact that some of us acknowledge that accidents do happen? the umps? the coaches?

i haven't even addressed the mansfield "fan" that was cussing my son because she didn't like the fact that he was concerned about the injured kid. (someone in a blue dress?) threatening to beat his a@# i think. that is class.
I have tried to stay out of this and just can't help myself. If everyone would take the personal stuff out of the discussion it is really very simple.

Baseball players are taught at an early age NOT to throw the bat. PERIOD, end of discussion. There is no defending this action whether it was intentional or not. There has never been a baseball player play at the HS level that has not heard the words "Do not throw your bat". You hit the ball, drop your bat and run. Any coach that allows this action is wrong, any player that does this is wrong, any parents or fans that aprove of this is wrong. Period.

All the personal stuff is just that, personal, opinions and morals come it to play and that discussion would go on forever.

Hopefully the kid will be ok and at least get to play summer ball.

A ground ball taking a bad hop and hitting you in the face is "part of the game", getting your jaw broken by a hitter who threw his bat is absolutely NOT part of the game.
quote:
Originally posted by LionPop:
I have tried to stay out of this and just can't help myself. If everyone would take the personal stuff out of the discussion it is really very simple.

Baseball players are taught at an early age NOT to throw the bat. PERIOD, end of discussion. There is no defending this action whether it was intentional or not. There has never been a baseball player play at the HS level that has not heard the words "Do not throw your bat". You hit the ball, drop your bat and run. Any coach that allows this action is wrong, any player that does this is wrong, any parents or fans that aprove of this is wrong. Period.

All the personal stuff is just that, personal, opinions and morals come it to play and that discussion would go on forever.

Hopefully the kid will be ok and at least get to play summer ball.

A ground ball taking a bad hop and hitting you in the face is "part of the game", getting your jaw broken by a hitter who threw his bat is absolutely NOT part of the game.

Thank You...
quote:
ok dude, this is getting really old. exactly what ARE you complaining about? the fact that it happened? the fact that some of us acknowledge that accidents do happen? the umps? the coaches?

i haven't even addressed the mansfield "fan" that was cussing my son because she didn't like the fact that he was concerned about the injured kid. (someone in a blue dress?) threatening to beat his a@# i think. that is class.

Sorry... didn't know about the cussing part. I agree that is not acceptable either...
thats ok. he understood that she was upset. maybe we can agree that accidents and mistakes happen. i know i can speak for lamarfan08 and myself in truly hopeing the kid recovers quickly and is able to play the remainder of mansfield's games. Hopefully you guys go deep in the playoffs and have a lot of games for him to play in.

my son is playing in college now and i haven't been to a hs game all year. however, i hear you guys have a really good team. good luck.
quote:
thats ok. he understood that she was upset. maybe we can agree that accidents and mistakes happen. i know i can speak for lamarfan08 and myself in truly hopeing the kid recovers quickly and is able to play the remainder of mansfield's games. Hopefully you guys go deep in the playoffs and have a lot of games for him to play in.

my son is playing in college now and i haven't been to a hs game all year. however, i hear you guys have a really good team. good luck.

Thank You and good luck to your son. Where does he go? Mine's going to UTA after this year.
lionpop,

no one is saying that it is not wrong. however, isn't there rules that come into play whenever that happens? shouldn't the ump take charge and enforce them? i will agree that if the coach saw it (and before you jump in MAV i know you said he did) he should have done or said something. But don't get me started on the coaches.
quote:
lionpop,

no one is saying that it is not wrong. however, isn't there rules that come into play whenever that happens? shouldn't the ump take charge and enforce them? i will agree that if the coach saw it (and before you jump in MAV i know you said he did) he should have done or said something. But don't get me started on the coaches.

Yes, if the ump saw it.

I think too many kids watch major league player’s show-boat by slinging the bat after an out or home run and somehow we let ourselves get caught up in letting it go until someone gets hurt. That is what I was trying to say before, throwing your bat is wrong in soooo many ways. Nothing wrong with being angry after making an out, nothing wrong with being happy for hitting a home run. Showing up an opponent or slinging your bat to put on a show tells you something about that player, if the coach allows that to continue it shows something about the coach.

Athletics should teach kids more than just how to hit a fastball low and away to the opposite field. Learning how to handle the frustration on a baseball field might come to good use if he attends some of the meetings I attend. Wink (Not slamming anyone here, just a general comments)

Sorry, I am old school and I hate to see the game change the way it has over the past few years. I watch the game at all levels and I regularly see 10 year old kids turn and disagree with the ump for a strike call. Then the coach comes out and reinforces the behavior by arguing as well - instead of telling the kid to get in the dugout and swing the bat next time. I think we would all agree that HS coaches have a tough job and I do not want to comment on what my opinion is because I was not wearing his shoes….

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.