Skip to main content

a couple of the Districts have expanded from 4 to 6 teams over the last few years.
The format is a bye for 1 amd 2 seeds then 1 plays the winner of 4/5 and 2 plays winner of 3/6.

wouldnt it be more appropriate if after first round they reseeded 3-6 and 1 seed played the lowest remaining seed?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It depends on your definition of "appropriate". If you always want the top seed playing the lowest remaining seed, then you are right, that is the most appropriate. This would give you the best chance of a #1 vs. #2 final.

However, if you are the 6 seed who upsets the 3 seed, you might not feel reseeding is appropriate. You would be happy to move on and play the #2 seed vs. being reseeded and having to play the #1 seed.

Do you have examples of amateur tournaments that actually reseed in the middle of the tournament? What's the feedback from those involved (players/coaches) of doing so?

Most tournaments I know from the local high school level up through the college championships leave the brackets as they are and don't reseed.
But they aren't generally held at the same site. I believe the Colonial has moved to holding the two semi finals this year in the same location but most years including last the semis were hosted by the higher seed. I believe both semi games this year will be at Deep Run. Generally they don't meet up a neutral site until the championship game.

And yes us coaches scout no matter how many times we play a team. Its always nice to pick things up that a kid may have adjusted to or a a coach has adjusted to a way of playing throughout the year.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.