Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I think this saying refers to six ways you can score from 3rd as opposed to being on 2nd, and so the bases loaded situations aren't really what we're talking about. The saying is an argument that some are overly conservative about advancing to 3rd, on the justification that you don't want to risk losing a runner from scoring position. (And I'm not going to take sides in that argument!)

I'm not sure what the "official" list might be, but here's at least 6 that come to mind:

1. Loose balls, including wild pitches, passed balls, errant pickoff throws, etc.
2. Balk
3. Steal
4. Some hits allow runner to score from 3rd but not 2nd, e.g., infield hits
5. Ground out (if less than 2 outs)
6. Fly out (if less than 2 outs)
Catchers balk and catchers interference are two different things. Balk is when attempting an intentional pass, catcher steps out of catchers box too early. That does advance runners.

Catchers interference is like any interference play - runners DO NOT advance. In fact saw an interference play happen in son's game this weekend at 2nd base on attempted double play with a runner at 3rd and no outs. The batter was called out due to runner's illegal slide at 2nd (interference) and the runner at 3rd (who had crossed the plate on the play) was sent back to third and did not score. Correct call, but sure made some parents hot!
Last edited by Natural
Witnessed a catcher's balk called in 1997 that ended a playoff series between Highland Park and Wylie.

Tie game in bottom of 7th in game three. HP had runner on third with one out. Wylie was attempting to intentionally walk the batter and ump called catcher's balk giving HP the win and the series.

First and only time I have ever seen it called. I was sitting behind home plate and didn't see any infraction. Made it even more difficult for Wylie as it was Sam Terry's final game as baseball coach. Parents weren't too happy about that call either.
Last edited by Frozen Ropes GM
A catcher’s balk does occur when the catcher sets up outside the catcher’s box or leaves the box too soon on an intentional walk. Catcher’s obstruction, where the catcher at the ‘time of pitch’ reaches over the plate or steps across the plate to try and tag a runner attempting to steal home from third base is still sometimes referred to as ‘catcher’s balk’ though I agree perhaps inappropriately.

The catcher obstruction is a ‘delayed dead ball’ infraction (not error, though certainly an error in judgement) and if the runner from third is tagged out the obstruction is enforced thus scoring the runner and putting the batter-runner on first. If a runner, say on second had been attempting to steal third he would be allowed to stay on third. However, any runner not attempting to advance during catcher obstruction would stay on the base occupied at time of pitch unless forced to advance do to the award. Certainly with all this being said had the runner from third scored, batter-runner reached first and any other runners reached the next base while attempting to advance at the time of pitch then the obstruction is ignored.

Just another way to score from third.
Swingdoc - It would seem that my memory is not as good as I thought. Funny, but I always imagined that would be the second thing to go....

On that play in '97, Coach Terry says the scenario was correct but that the catcher's balk was called on a squeeze play. Wylie defensed the squeeze with a pitch out but plate ump Kenny Crow said that the catcher left the box before the ball had left the pitcher's hand.

Well, I am now off to purchase some Ginkgo Biloba.... crazy

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.