Skip to main content

What is the average 60 yard dash time for a 15 year old shortstop?

I am 15 and have just finished my freshman year of high school. I attend Loomis Chaffee prep/boarding school in Windsor CT 

I have a strong frame for a 15 year old, standing at 5'11 and 165 lbs. I have above average defensive skills and hit around .290 at the varsity level.

I have been told many times that my 60 times would help me get more looks from college scouts so I have put an emphasis on finding out where my time should be. I average around a 6.98, my fastest time being 6.92. I just want to know if this is a good time, and if I should be stressing my times this much. Thank you in advanced.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

That would be a very good time for a senior.  For a rising sophomore it is very good indeed.  "Average" is higher for a sophomore on his way to college ball, higher still for a typical HS SS.

That's not to say you should rest on your laurels.  If this is your best tool, be sure to continue to develop it.  There are still a fair number of 6.9 shortstops out there.  There aren't many at 6.5!  Yet what I've seen indicates that someone who's at 6.9 at your age very often can improve further still as they mature physically and work on their technique as well.  It can even improve your recruiting for people to know that you have the speed to play pretty much anywhere, e.g., in CF.

If your hitting comes along as you mature as well, you have the basic tools to succeed.  Just understand that no matter how much one tool or another may stand out, it's the whole package that matters in the end -- hitting, defense, speed, whether you're a "gamer", team/unselfish attitude, grades, SAT's, etc.  It's a demanding field, make sure you're on top of all aspects of it.

Originally Posted by Midlo Dad:

That would be a very good time for a senior.  For a rising sophomore it is very good indeed.  "Average" is higher for a sophomore on his way to college ball, higher still for a typical HS SS.

That's not to say you should rest on your laurels.  If this is your best tool, be sure to continue to develop it.  There are still a fair number of 6.9 shortstops out there.  There aren't many at 6.5!  Yet what I've seen indicates that someone who's at 6.9 at your age very often can improve further still as they mature physically and work on their technique as well.  It can even improve your recruiting for people to know that you have the speed to play pretty much anywhere, e.g., in CF.

If your hitting comes along as you mature as well, you have the basic tools to succeed.  Just understand that no matter how much one tool or another may stand out, it's the whole package that matters in the end -- hitting, defense, speed, whether you're a "gamer", team/unselfish attitude, grades, SAT's, etc.  It's a demanding field, make sure you're on top of all aspects of it.

Thank you for your feedback! I wouldn't say my speed is my best tool, my defensive abilities is where I make my mark on a team. As far as hitting goes, I had trouble keeping up with pitchers in our league early on in the season. I faced a lot of pitchers currently committed to D1 schools. But after working for much of the year I was able to become a consistent hitter. I have another year to continue growing and working on my skills until recruiting goes into full swing for my class. So hopefully I can get a lot more college recognition within the next year.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.