Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Are you looking for a correlation between size and speed? If so, I don't think you will find one other than most high school players 220+ don't have speed.

My son is 6'1", 170. He ran a 6.7. He plays short and pitches in high school and center and pitches (and some infield) on his showcase team. One of his best friends from the high school team is 5'8", 170 and runs a 6.65. My son is lean. His friend is thick.
Last edited by RJM
I am looking to try and find a target goal for my son. He had run a 8.1 60 yd last fall at 6'2" 230lbs and out of shape as he had not done anything due to a labrum surgery etc. He has been working out at D1 for a couple months now. Have yet to time again in the 60 but he improved a 40 from 5.6 to 5.37 in 2 months. He has leaned out to 221lbs as well.
Last edited by Eric G
Eric welcome to the HSBBW. Work to get as fast as you can , as quick as you can , as athletic as you can be. Thats all you can really do. Speed , quickness , athletic ability is important. How important his 60 is will be determined by what posistion he plays , does he hit for power , is he a very good base runner , etc.

Most kids your sons size are not mif or outfielders. I would assume pitcher , 1B or catcher? He wont have to be a burner but he cant be a base clogger either. And of course he will need to hit for power. Good luck.
Son has actually gotten faster while gaining 12 pounds in 3.5 months at college. Size 5'9" 172lbs speed increase from best of 6.47 to 6.4--Next target 6.3's. His coach is fanatical about weight lifting and running. They must run a mile on every Monday faster than they ran the week before or they run it each day until they do. He's down to 5:57 and its getting harder each week.
If he continues to work hard he should be just fine. He has to understand the importance of proper diet and consistent work outs. With three years of hs still in front of him there is no reason he can not get much faster. But he has to put in the work to do it and he has to understand the importance of it. Good luck
Eric:

My son was similar to yours when he finished HS. At that time he was 6'3" and 230ish. For all the time that he ran the 60 his times were consitently in the 7.6 - 7.8 range. I suspect it was one reason he did not get picked up by a number of programs.

Yet during his sophmore college season he led the country in doubles, not bad for a kid that most thought was "slow." Ultimatly, a big part of the game is learning to run the bases the "right way." That with hitting skills you will turn heads.

He is now a senior in college. Last summer he had to run the 60 at a couple of "scout days." He said he was now running them at 7.4 - 7.6. I know that those times do not turn heads; but being able to hit has carried far further than being able to run.
Last edited by ILVBB
Eric G,
My son is a 6'2" 220-225# senior. He is a 1B/OF who hits well with power. He has been timed at showcases from 7.17 to 7.66. Depending on his weight and the conditions. He has generated interest from colleges because of his hitting/power. Not once was speed ever mentioned or a concern of any recruiter he or I spoke to. GPA, however came up a lot. So don't forget about that.

I would have him practice as much as possible in the outfield. Having the option of playing 1B or OF will give him more opportunities to get on the field. My son has bounced between both since he was in LL. Not only does it give your son options but it gives the coaches flexibility to get the best players in the lineup to make the team better. After playing 1B last year for HS he will most likely play OF this year to allow another bat in the lineup at 1B.

As far as speed, since kids like ours will never be 6.7 guys, work on his quickness and agility. This will help him to get as fast as he can be. Also, he will most likely knock a few tenths of a second off while his body matures over the next couple of years.

Good luck.
6'2 230 as a freshman (if I'm reading correctly) means your son is a beast. If he can get his time around 7.7 - 7.8 and he is a good hitter then I think things will be fine.

My concern is he's already had two labrum surgeries. If you don't mind me asking but what's going on there?

He needs to be able to play a position to help him get noticed. He could go down as your high school team's greatest power hitter ever but colleges can find that guy other places who can play the field. In fact I don't think I can ever recall a kid who was recruited solely on his ability to hit. They always had a position on defense.
One of the funniest comments I've heard related to Pitchers/Catchers and the 60 yard dash was at a travel team's combine here in central Virginia last year. The scout told the coach as he was clicking his stop watch ...."I don't care what the Pitcher or Catcher's time is as long as they finish". That just about sums it up. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by fenwaysouth:
One of the funniest comments I've heard related to Pitchers/Catchers and the 60 yard dash was at a travel team's combine here in central Virginia last year. The scout told the coach as he was clicking his stop watch ...."I don't care what the Pitcher or Catcher's time is as long as they finish". That just about sums it up. Smile

My son (rhp) has been told something like that too. He is 6'5" now and is finally adding muscle!! He weighs 200 - has added 8 lbs over the fall. His body fat is 16%. His fastest time is 8.1! He does continue to run and do sprints and things like that, but is concentrating on core buildup and what he needs to do to be a better pitcher.
Ebby trust me it is very important. A catcher that can run is highly valued. Of course he has to be good behind the plate and throw well. And if he can hit that is huge as well. Now add in the fact he can also run well and you have just increased your opportunities a great deal. Your value has gone up.

Look at it this way. A college coach is looking for the best player available. Your sons speed may very well be what makes him the best player available. And when its time to make up the line up that could be the factor that puts his name on the line up card. There is lack of speed and then there is base clogging lack of speed. The higher the level your son aspires to play at in college the more important his speed will be.
Wow, all these 6'2" 225lb high school kids! What are you guys feeding-em up there in Ohio, N.J. and New Hampshire? At that size they will play "corner" something (most likely infield), pitch or catch. I agree with the others, concentrate most of your efforts on the bat cuz no one expects them to be fast.

My son is a Senior (6'2" 180lb) 1b/C., who has signed early. They have plans for him in the outfield because he is not yet beefy enough for corner infield (they will reserve those spots for your boys!). To play outfield here; high school and above, they want to see 60 times below 7! They say, "once we've put 20-30lbs on him, we'll move him back to 1b!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.