Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Using low quality baseballs is not a good way to save money. They don’t perform the same way. It changes the game. They are harder to grip, they don’t spin the same way, and they come off the bat differently. Some baseballs advertise falsely that they are leather when they really aren’t. Sometimes you have to unwrap one and feel it to be sure. But get good baseballs. Do a fund raiser or find a sponsor. Use good baseballs 

Agree with adbono and will add.. I have seen some pretty crappy balls used for HS summer.  You can save by getting a better quality practice ball vs HS reg game balls.  You can also save by shortening your typical allocation per game on throwing out new ones - be quicker to throw out good used ones as the game goes on.  You can also save by making doubly sure your guys are tracking down foul balls.

When I was HC, I would pick the good game ball for V games, then hand pick the best NFHS approved ball that was "practice ball" price to use for JV game balls, practice balls and summer balls.  Like he said, you gotta feel it to know.  Or get recommendation from a trusted source.  Seams and leather need to feel at least decent and it has to hold up reasonably well so it becomes a quality practice ball as it goes through it's life cycle.  You don't want pillows in the practice ball bin.

I just picked up 3 dozen Wilson a1010 "blems" from Closeout bats.  This is Wilson's top end ball.  They ended up being $3.05 per ball delivered to my door.  Less than half of what the non blems sell for on Wilsom.com.  Looks like they went up about $3 per dozen since I ordered but they are still a bargain at $39.99 a dozen.  I have been using the Diamond DOL-1 for years and my boys both like the leather and laces on these Wilson balls better.

I unwrapped and inspected all 36 balls and found only one actual blemish, some slight stretching of the leather at a small spot on one seam.  

https://www.closeoutbats.com/w...-baseball1-blem.html

@22and25 posted:

I just picked up 3 dozen Wilson a1010 "blems" from Closeout bats.  This is Wilson's top end ball.  They ended up being $3.05 per ball delivered to my door.  Less than half of what the non blems sell for on Wilsom.com.  Looks like they went up about $3 per dozen since I ordered but they are still a bargain at $39.99 a dozen.  I have been using the Diamond DOL-1 for years and my boys both like the leather and laces on these Wilson balls better.

I unwrapped and inspected all 36 balls and found only one actual blemish, some slight stretching of the leather at a small spot on one seam.  

https://www.closeoutbats.com/w...-baseball1-blem.html

Saw  those... that's a good deal!  Was wondering if they'd have the same feel as the regular a1010 (true blems) or if they would be a cheaper substitute.  Since you are confirming good leather, that's a great suggestion.

@cabbagedad posted:

Saw  those... that's a good deal!  Was wondering if they'd have the same feel as the regular a1010 (true blems) or if they would be a cheaper substitute.  Since you are confirming good leather, that's a great suggestion.

Just be aware that they do not have the NFHS stamp and are not likely legal for Varsity games.  Sub varsity and summer ball should be fine.  I am buying these for personal use so I don't have to worry about that aspect.

@ARCEKU21 posted:

Hock Sports is going out of business and I believe are selling everything like 50% off. You have to call them to find out whats available. Could possibly be some deals to be had there. 

That’s a bummer. Years ago they used to always have the hot youth bats when everyone else was sold out. I called them once to get 5 bats for the team before all stars started and he overnighted them so we’d have them the first game. Seemed like a nice guy

That’s a bummer. Years ago they used to always have the hot youth bats when everyone else was sold out. I called them once to get 5 bats for the team before all stars started and he overnighted them so we’d have them the first game. Seemed like a nice guy

All my dealings with him were great. I remember when the white/green CF Zen were hard to get. He was able to get me both a 31 and 32 and got them to me in 2 days.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.