Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by PGStaff:
He's actually been over 100 mph. He is going to be very expensive!

I think they already said he has been offered 15 million but it is expected to go much higher.

On one hand, Tom Dorminy has a point that the guy has to ultimately be able to pitch as MLB hitters can in fact hit 97 or 100 if there is no complimentary pitches they need to also worry about. On the other hand, he will be paid handsomely because he can throw 97 or higher. MLB hitters may be able to hit 97 but MLB coaches cannot coach a pitcher to throw 97 who does not have that ability.

I am willing to wait and see how good he is. I have grown cynical of hype. The Indians dabbled a few years back with a player somewhat like this named Dannys Baez who could throw hard but as it turned out, a lack of movement seemed to hold him back from reaching his potential imho.
quote:
Nice fastball but pro hitters can hit 97 mph , what's his secondary pitches look like , and how old is he ?

Well, MLB guys hit above .000 vs. 97 mph fastballs, if that's what you mean, but there's no question that overall batting averages and power numbers are substantially lower for 97 mph guys than for, say, 90 mph guys or 87 mph guys. And yeah, they might make contact, but solid contact is much less frequent. I mean, even Nolan Ryan only threw 7 no hitters; in his other starts, at least somebody got a hit. Just not that many.

What do his secondary pitches look like? They look a lot better for the fact that they come mixed in with 97 mph fastballs. That's if they aren't "plus pitches" on their own. If they are, then the sky's the limit. (E.g., a Nolan Ryan knee-buckling curve.)

What I'm saying is, don't kid yourself, a young lefty throwing this hard is a hot commodity and with good reason.

That's even more true in the post-steroid era, when hitters are seeing the ultra-high MPH's less frequently than they did just a few years ago. It's easier to adjust to 97 if you've been seeing a lot of 95, than if you've been seeing a lot of 90-92.
quote:
Originally posted by ClevelandDad:
quote:

I think they already said he has been offered 15 million but it is expected to go much higher.

Maybe 15 million pesos. Look at all the grief Strausburg got,a known quantity I might add. Where was this guy during the World Baseball classic?
quote:
Originally posted by dswann:
quote:
Originally posted by ClevelandDad:
quote:

Maybe 15 million pesos. Look at all the grief Strausburg got,a known quantity I might add. Where was this guy during the World Baseball classic?

Actually, I would guess Strasburg would serve as a starting point only for the Chapman negotiations, because he was only allowed to negotiate with one team as a result of the draft. Chapman is a true free agent who can sign with any team he pleases, with no mechanism like the draft imposed specifically to reduce the cost of draftees.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.