Skip to main content

My son is an 8th grader.  He is a very good player on a .500-record AA 14u team here in our town.  We have a good guy as coach, and most of the good local 13 and 14 year olds on our team already.  And my son is having a good time (although he remarked after our last tournament that he's a little frustrated that the team isn't better).  It's just that our town is small and our team isn't likely to get much better barring several very good out-of-towners joining us - don't see that happening.

Over the next 2-3 months, the well-known showcase travel programs in our region - the ones that area colleges recruit from - will have tryouts for their summer 2014 14u and up teams.

Is is too early for my son to try out for those programs?  Or should he wait until after 9th grade or 10th grade, and enjoy the local team he's on now plus school ball?  If the goal is to be able to play baseball in college, may it benefit him to join up with one of those programs asap?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

One small point.  I don't think it matters much how good your son's team is.  It matters how good the opposition is. Your son won't develop much as a hitter unless he's facing top quality pitching for his age group,  and he won't develop as a pitcher unless he he's facing kids who can mash.

Originally Posted by JCG:

One small point.  I don't think it matters much how good your son's team is.  It matters how good the opposition is. Your son won't develop much as a hitter unless he's facing top quality pitching for his age group,  and he won't develop as a pitcher unless he he's facing kids who can mash.

The opposition is pretty much the same - decent AA travel level - most of our games are close and our record always hovers around .500.  We sometimes face "top" pitching and hitting, but not normally.  

One other concern is that my son likely is our best player - I feel confident he would make a good showcase team - and his leaving the local team will put a dent in it and maybe strain a couple friendships.  But we had a good talk about it and he's wanting to make the jump if it will help with exposure for future college ball.  I'm mainly wondering if it's too soon to make said jump. 

I believe that I can say that the general consensus for travel ball is that it is about getting exposure.  To get exposure you need to play against quality opponents, as JCG mentioned.  It is also helpful to have other high caliber players on your team that may help in garnishing attention.  You need to be on a team that plays in tournaments that attract quality teams and scouts.  Summer after freshman year is a good start, summer after sophomore year is an absolute.  If your financial situation allows you to get into a reputable program that runs 14U-18U, and has a proven track record, go for it

Jump, my son did it at 14. It was the best move he ever made. Some other parents were upset but they got over it, the kids don't care as much. He improved a great deal, learned what it was like to be outside of his confort zone and played against many great ball players. His improvement that year helped him made a name for himself as a freshman in high school. Yesterday, he played his first innersquad game as a freshman at a Pac 12 school.     

Originally Posted by Old south:

My son is an 8th grader.  He is a very good player on a .500-record AA 14u team here in our town.  We have a good guy as coach, and most of the good local 13 and 14 year olds on our team already.  And my son is having a good time (although he remarked after our last tournament that he's a little frustrated that the team isn't better).  It's just that our town is small and our team isn't likely to get much better barring several very good out-of-towners joining us - don't see that happening.

Over the next 2-3 months, the well-known showcase travel programs in our region - the ones that area colleges recruit from - will have tryouts for their summer 2014 14u and up teams.

Is is too early for my son to try out for those programs?  Or should he wait until after 9th grade or 10th grade, and enjoy the local team he's on now plus school ball?  If the goal is to be able to play baseball in college, may it benefit him to join up with one of those programs asap?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Its a good idea if he plays on the new team. Sitting on the bench and getting few at bats would not be beneficial at this age. He needs to play. When he gets older probably no earlier than summer after sophomore year he could possibly look for a better TB team to showcase with.   

My $.02.  You're at a transition point.  Most real showcasing doesn't start until 16U (at least in my area).  I think you should go with the team who has the best coaching, regardless of the "level" of talent.  The hardest thing to find at this age group is quality coaching -- not well meaning dads, but baseball guys who really know the game.  A good coach will take him far.  A so-so coach will waste a year. 

But be careful, not all "quality organizations" have the same level of coaching on each team.  My son just left a program known for great coaching at the older levels -- problem was his coach at the younger level, not so good.  In other words, focus on the coach of the specific team rather than the organization.  Good luck.         

Originally Posted by Golfman25:

My $.02.  You're at a transition point.  Most real showcasing doesn't start until 16U (at least in my area).  I think you should go with the team who has the best coaching, regardless of the "level" of talent.  The hardest thing to find at this age group is quality coaching -- not well meaning dads, but baseball guys who really know the game.  A good coach will take him far.  A so-so coach will waste a year. 

But be careful, not all "quality organizations" have the same level of coaching on each team.  My son just left a program known for great coaching at the older levels -- problem was his coach at the younger level, not so good.  In other words, focus on the coach of the specific team rather than the organization.  Good luck.         

This is the answer

Originally Posted by wattsboro:

agree with im647f.  my kid did about the same thing at 13 and a year and a half later most of those teammates and parents who were upset aren't playing baseball anymore. the quicker he faces the stiffer competition, the better IMO. 

Ditto.  Keewartson left the comfort zone at 14.

Make sure the team will be playing in the tournaments and showcases that are attended by the college coaches.  If the new team (or older teams in the organization) has that history, go for it.  

Originally Posted by Golfman25:

Well said.

My son moved from a local travel team to a showcase program's 14U team this summer. For him it was an excellent move.  I wasn't concerned with the thought of him getting "noticed" or "showcasing" at 14.  I was however interested in the program's reputation for providing good coaching.  All of the coaches in the program are either college or high school coaches, some of them being former professional players.  I wanted to get away from daddy ball, and have my son either sink or swim on his own.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.