Skip to main content

So my 2014 son told me two weeks ago he'd like to try to play Div 3 baseball here in the Northeast. I'm impressed by the knowledge on this board and I'm wondering if my son has a shot or if I should tell him he's basically dreaming.

He threw 75-77 last year (not playing fall because he's on varsity s****r). Has a good curve and plus change up. And the coach says he hits his spots better than he's seen in a long time (calls him Jamie Moyer cuz he is one of the slower pitchers) Made varsity on one of the top two teams in Maine, mostly out of the pen with a couple of spot starts. Then was in a mop up role for the Maine State Legion Championship team. He just turned 16 at the end of July and has not really filled out yet.

Has a 3.5 at a good private school and figures to be high 500's to low 600's on SAT.

So what do you think? Should I encourage him to pursue D3? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I would certainly encourage him to pursue his DIII dreams since he has time to improve the velocity and grow some more. Sit down and discuss a game plan for how best to accomplish this by reading past posts on this site and asking specific questions. There are many ways to skin a cat (an old southern saying, hope it doesn't offend any cat lovers). Most of all keep playing as much ball as possible on the best teams he can play on. This coming summer get out and be seen at various venues if it's within the budget as it only takes one coach to love him and of course start your college research. Only very hard work on the field, in the weight room, and in the classroom will allow him to live his dream and make sure you get this point across to him. Good luck, take it from me that baseball dreams can come true!
Thanks ThreeBagger,

I'm new to all this stuff and just started reading a bunch of posts on this site. He is going to forgo basketball this winter to work on his baseball and build up his strength.

His coach is a good guy but notoriously aloof when it comes to college advice. So we are pretty much on our own. Luckily we have some good D3 schools in our backyard like Bowdoin, Bates and Colby so maybe he can get on their radar screens this spring and summer.
Welcome to the board. This forum has been a wealth of information and support for me as a parent throughout my son's recruiting process.
The answer to the questions, IMO, is a resounding yes.
A year ago last August, my 2013 LHP decided he was going to give up all the other sports and play baseball in college. At the time he was 5'11" and weighed 165 with his fastball topping out at 78. A year ago he attended a Perfect Game showcase where he was graded at a 7 and certainly was not on any colleges radar.
A year later he now is 6'1" and weighs 190 and has been clocked at 85. PG has rated him as a High Follow and he has had several offers from both DI & DII schools, but not the ones he would like to attend.
You will find great satisfaction watching your son develop and work toward acheiving a goal. You will cherish the one on one time you have with him as you travel to different tournaments. You will also stress over the entire process and that is when you turn to the members of this community.
The one area where I would suggest your son continue to focus is on his grades. A high SAT and GPA will certainly open up the options for him as he looks at colleges he would like to attend.
I do wish you and your son the best and hope he reaches his dream.
We haven't seen your son play. Have him talk to his high school and Legion coach for an honest assessment. If you aren't comfortable with their ability to assess the situation ask the Andrews coach assuming he's aware of your son. Tony DiBiase played D1 ball at UMaine when they went to the CWS. He's coached baseball talent of every potential college skill level for many years. If Southern Maine has an inexpensive winter camp look into attending and asking the coaches for advice. To get a feel for D3 baseball check out d3baseball.com. It's all the D3 programs with links to the academic side.
Last edited by RJM
I agree with all the advice, except at this point I wouldn't worry about whether his high school coach thinks he can play in college, unless he is a known authority. My sons high school coach told a teammate of his that he couldn't play in college, so he didn't pursue it. The summer after his senior year more knowledgeable people said that's just wrong, and the kid ended up at a D3 in NE.

One thing we know for sure. If he doesn't try, he won't play in college.

One advantage your son has is that there are so many D3s within a few hours of where you live. They like kids from New England who know how to play in the cold. They are looking for left handed pitching. A little more velocity and your son could be on his way.

There are several folks on these boards from New England who have kids in the 2012-13 classes, who can give specific insight on various camps, coaches, etc.

Good luck.
Last edited by twotex
Guys thanks for all the great advice. This site is an amazing resource and it's got a lot to do with just the message boards alone.

My son does play EBL and after playing AAU and he has done very well against of state competition. He's not the hardest thrower but he is the most consistent winner on those teams. He goes seven and he keeps it under two runs every time out.

In high school he was the same as a sophomore. Legion Ball when we got out of state was bumpier but his arm was ragged and he was throwing closer to 72 than 77.

Anyway, he's going to make a short list of D3 schools in the NE and keep practicing the SAT and take it from there.

Thanks again. I'll keep you posted.
quote:
jgsmittay said...Anyway, he's going to make a short list of D3 schools in the NE and keep practicing the SAT and take it from there.

I agree with everything that has been offered by others. However, I would NOT make a "short list" of schools. I would start with a very broad search and then narrow it down based on your requirements and their interest.

For D3, you've hit on the two areas that going to be looked at the most his grades/SATS and his velocity. In general, the bigger the numbers the more options he'll have. While you're looking at schools review their merit scholarship requirements. If your son would be in the top 25% of an incoming class there may be some merit dollars available. It never hurts to ask.

Good luck.
A LHP will always get extra looks from coaches even if they aren't in the "radar range" for a specific division. My RHP son was in the same range soph year, but after finding a good workout routine and being persistent at doing the workouts by the time he was a senior he was mid 80's which was good enough for D3. It does help he has a great frame (6'1").

The NESCAC's in your area may require high academics and SAT/ACT scores, but as I'm sure you'll find by reading various posts here - those numbers can be lower with the coaches help and early decision factoring in. I think the suggestion to contact USM is a good one - if nothing else they'll know local resources. Perhaps even St.Joe's and those NESCAC schools. Nothing like putting yourself on their radar...

Not sure where in Maine you are, but I did see who the 2012 state champ was, so I have a good idea especially given the good private school. I would suggest doing a bit of research and finding a trainer and/or a winter program that will work on the core as well as the legs.
quote:
Originally posted by jgsmittay:
The PT guys he had at the end of the summer recommended he work out with a guy named Jason Jansen who I believe is the pitching coach at Bowden. He also trains at a frozen ropes up here. I will looks into the folks at USM as well.
The reason I mentioned an inexpensive USM winter camp is Ed Flaherty runs a top D3 program. He's won three national championships. He's sent players to pro ball. His son played for Vanderbilt and now the Orioles. He can recognize where talent sits in the spectrum.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.