Skip to main content

The long and winding baseball recruiting journey is over.At least this chapter of it.My 2014 son has been admitted to the Amherst College Class of 2018.He will be a Pre Med major(Biology),and wants to be an Orthopedic Surgeon when his playing days are over.He was recruited by head Coach Brian Hamm.

I found HSBBW one Friday night while drinking and surfing the web, usually not a good combination My son was in 7th grade at the time.I don't remember how I ended up here, but am forever grateful I did. At that time, I was only looking for info to help my son prepare for high school baseball.I really didn't pay attention to the recruiting stuff.It was so far off into the future in my mind. I did not officially join the site until after my son's freshman year of high school.

As he got older,my son was like most SoCal ball players.He wanted to play baseball at USC,Fullerton,UC Irvine,ASU, Stanford,etc.All the usual D1 suspects.We followed the timeline on HSBBW and I helped him get on the radar of all the schools on his list.All the while reading and learning from those that had already been through this process.

Early in his Junior year my son came to me and said  "I've decided I want to attend the best academic college that I can get into using my baseball abilities". We needed a new plan of attack.I turned to the board for help and the zen master himself FenwaySouth came to the rescue ! He helped us in so many ways.He became our coach,adviser,interpreter( dude can break down coach speak like no other),and above all a friend !

The high academic recruiting process is not for the faint of heart ! It is a long grueling,confusing,and agonizing grind.I was fortunate to have the members of this board pull us up when we were down,smack sense into us when we needed it,and above all give freely of their time and experiences.In Tagalog my wife's native language, they call this the "Bayanihan spirit' and it is alive and well here at HSBBW !

I want to thank everyone on this board for their contributions.I've learned so much from all you ! I do need to give shout outs to a few posters who answered my "dialogs" for help and were instrumental in making this day a reality for our family

FenwaySouth: what more can I say he is the Zen Master !

Blue10: locals only Her "broken leg" advice really hit home for my son.My wife could identify with her as she too is an Asian tiger mom ! Hahaha

Leftyshortstop : his help and advice came when my son was at the crossroads of making a tough decision between Amherst and Swarthmore.

Branson Baseball:really solid info and advice from a dad whose son was recruited by many of the same schools as my son.He also coined my favorite baseball recruiting quote :
"  If you're a high draftable player, you have a lot of firm executable offers.  Everyone else is trying to figure it out."  So true !

Slotty: when my son was still in the running for a slot at Columbia,Slotty offered up his insight and advice.

If I can ever be of any help to anyone please feel free to PM or dialog me.I've seen all kinds of wack stuff throughout this recruiting process.Also, don't let the price tag of a college discourage you. Many private schools have excellent financial award packages.My son received his  initial award package yesterday.It is VERY GENEROUS !!!!

Most of all, my wife and I are extremely proud of the young man my son has become.

Ariel Kenney

St.Augustine High School

San Diego,Ca.

Class of 2014

Amherst Class of 2018

Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year to each and every one of you !

"Ahh, you know. Strikes and gutters, ups and downs." "The Dude Abides"

IMG_1921

" This World Owes Me a BUZZ "

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_1921
Last edited by bobbyaguho
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Wow, that is so awesome. Congrats!

I dated a Hampshire girl a lifetime ago and got to spend time on the Amherst campus and knew a bunch of students. What an awesome school in a beautiful area. And the 5 colleges relationship gives kids incredible choices and opportunities.   It could be a tad chilly at times for a SoCal kid, but I'm sure the tradeoffs are more than worth it.

I lived in South Hadley from ages 2-4. My first dog's name was Lord Jeff. Is Amherst still the hardest college in the country to get accepted? I know it was at one point. For anyone who doesn't know Amherst is Harvard on a small college scale. Plus professors teach class rather than TAs. Congratulations.

Bob,

I am so happy for Ariel's acceptance to Amherst!!  Playing baseball at a great academic/baseball school is an awsome opportunity!  I will be adding Amherst to our list of schools that we follow each Spring!

Thanks for all of your help along the way.  I am glad that the recruiting process is over for your family and Ariel can just enjoy his senior year!

Bobby,

Yes, it has been quite a ride!  Thanks for letting me "ride shotgun"  with you, and your kind words.  It has been 100% my pleasure.   You did a great job helping your son understand ALL the options, and ALL his strengths.   Very well done.

He'll be getting a world class education, and playing for a great coach.  He'll have access to an incredible alumni network and all its resources.  I'm so happy for you and your family, and I can't wait to see him make the transition to college. 

A tip o' of the cap to you, and Merry Christmas!

Will

Congrats to your son and your family.  That is a great program to be a part of.  Coach Hamm does a fantastic job with that program.  The school is pretty good as well.  In years past,It has been fun to look at this board during this time of year and later when regular decision time arrives and now that us with 2014 kids making their decisions and having the relief of the end of the recruiting process.  This board is such a help to so many!!

Congratulations!  My husband is an Amherst alum so we have spent a lot of time there. Wonderful school and opportunity. Also, one of my son's closest baseball friends (and his parents are very dear friends of mine) is also an Amhest class of 2018 and was recruited by Coach Hamm. Would be happy to connect you.

Lastly, hope to see you out on the Nescac fields as my son will be attending Williams Class if 2018 (playing ball for Coach Barrale). Yes, Amherst dad, Williams son.

We too benefitted from the information and advice on this site. Thank you to everyone and keep posting!  I have already fielded many questions and inquiries on high academic recruiting. Happy to help any time!

Bob,

Congratulations to Ariel and you and your wife!  Great school & program.

I've greatly enjoyed our iterations.  This process is an art, not a science, and you and your family navigated through to a couple of great options.  Glad I (and others on this site) could be helpful along the way.

My 2016 won't come near Ariel's ACT scores and curriculum, so Amherst probably isn't on our big list for him, but perhaps we'll see you out here sometime in California or out East when Ariel and my 2012 are playing somewhere close by.

Best! 

JCG,

Thanks ! The 5 college consortium and the college town atmosphere of Amherst was one of the things that separated Amherst from Swarthmore for my son.The cold weather will be a challenge but he says he's up to it.We'll have to buy him winter gear. The heaviest coat he owns is a hoodie,and he only has 1 pair of jeans and khakis.He wears shorts year round here in San Diego .Hahaha

NYdad2017,

Thanks !

Ryanrod23,

Salamat Po ! We will plan on  heading to Florida One of the Amherst baseball dads was telling me that most of the parents go to Florida to watch the games.

Ingat Ka, Maligayang Pasko Po

RJM,

Thanks !

Amherst is still incredibly hard to get into.Being a recruited baseball player helped,as did the Amherst three day diversity program my son was selected to attend.

2014Prospect,

Thanks Meschelle ! I look forward to following John's baseball career

Keewart,

Thanks !

Hunter10,

Thanks !

Fenwaysouth,

Thanks again for everything. Merry Christmas !!

OFC586Dad,

Thanks !

Seaver41,

Thanks ! Everything I've heard about Coach Hamm is positive.My son is excited

Texas1836,

Thanks for the link.My son ate breakfast with Coach Hamm, Coach Armstrong, and some Amherst professors.While they were eating, one of the professors asked Coach Hamm about tickets for Red Sox games for the faculty.Coach Hamm told her that rather than ask Ben Cherington for tickets to games, he'd rather send players/students/alumni for internships and jobs.The professor thought that was a better idea

ReggieD,

Congrats to your son as well ! Looks like we are now rivals.Hahahaha !  Blue10 and her husband are both Williams Alum,and she's been throwin smack at me about that ! It's all good

Thanks for the offer. I'll take you up on that   There is another poster here Stealthisbase whose son is part of this Amherst recruiting class too.Really cool .I look forward to meeting you at a game someday. GO LORD JEFFS

Prepster,

Thanks !

Branson Baseball,

Thanks again for your help ! I'm sure we'll cross paths at some point.Whether it's up in San Francisco, down here in San Diego, or somewhere on the East Coast

Bishopleftiesdad,

Thanks !

Well, the Swarthmore boys are sad they lost a good recruit (they call them "specs") to Amherst.  Great outcome for your son, and you guys did a fantastic job of working the process.  Swarthmore son is a senior now so our time is almost over but I'm going to miss all the drama when its done.  It took me about 7 years, but I think I finally understand how the high academic recruiting process works.  These academic spots have tremendous economic value and baseball players that play the recruiting game right can jump to the front of the line.  You guys played the game as well as I've seen in my years on HSBW.  Its a business thats not for the faint of heart.  Congratulations!

Congrats as a father of a boy who went through this exact process I cannot tell you how happy we are that our boy and all the other boys who have worked equally hard at their academics /baseball will realize their dreams. Our son went through the exact same process and had several NESCAC D3 offers (along with Swarthmore----can't say enough nice things about Coach MidKiff and Coach Fisk ) , IVY Interest. My son after several overnights decided Wesleyan was the place....and we could not be happier....MANY MANY THANKS to all Forum contributors ESPECIALLY to my main Man and Zen Master and Yoda Fenway Park South....Happy New Year !!!

Hi,

I just came across a 2013 post from a Dad thanking you for all of your advice to him and his son, who decided on Amherst. Could I get some advice from you??

@mom2baseballplayer, you may want to  DM (private message) the person you wish to chat with.  This post is 7 years old and the original poster may not see it.  He was last on the site in June.    Click on his screenname on the original post and it will say "start private message".

Edit:  if you want Fenwaysouth, do the same!  He is a regular!

Last edited by keewart

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.