Skip to main content

there's a number of threads about this event but they're pretty old so i thought i'd start a new one with some questions.

my son is a soph and was recently asked to play in the jr fall classic.  what is our strategy, especially this year?  His normal team is planning to go next year but this opportunity came out of the blue so we decided to do it, at this late moment in time, and we're somewhat unprepared.  

do we need to hustle and reach out to schools to let them know he'll be there?  as a soph, he has a large "list" right now and hasn't made contact with any yet.  His "target" schools are non P5 types so we haven't felt the urgency to start up the email trains, but should we do so in the next couple of weeks to get the ball rolling? 

TIA and I'm sure i'll have many more questions in the near future.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I would not count on a lot of exposure, especially if (when) the dead period for D1 extends. The list of schools attending the Jr Classic last year is nowhere near as long as for the Sr Classic. And I’ve yet to see any published plan of how they will provide video to D1 schools if they can’t attend. Son pulled out of it to focus on his team back here in the southeast and the PBR/PG events. 

Not saying don’t go, but I would temper expectations of the exposure. Hoping the 2021 Sr Academic/Classic will be back to normal. 

If you're planning to go, it may actually be an opportune time for your son to start reaching out to schools with an intro+short video and let them know where he'll be playing in the fall. Recruiting opportunities may be limited based on whether the dead period is extended. But it's usually a top notch event and I'm sure schools will send "eyes and ears" :-) Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the Fall Classic. My son played both Junior and Senior year (we are local in Phoenix). Good luck!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.