Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I was afraid somebody would ask me that. Confused Actually, I'm a "rookie" OU fan since my son is only a freshman there and I am a graduate of the Univ. of Texas so I never took much interest in any OU sayings, etc. noidea

If you want to find out more you can visit the OU athletics website soonersports.com and I think there is a section on OU traditions that better explains it. I am still learning but I know that some OU fans say Boomer Sooner when greeting other OU fans. I think it has something to do with some settlers starting the "land rush" in Oklahoma territory a little early. I know that the nickname Sooners has to do with that. In Texas, they are referred to as "land thieves." Big Grin

Sorry I can't be of more help but when I get the time I am going to learn more about OU history and traditions. Smile

Maybe some native Oklahomans will see this post and answer your question better. Big Grin

Ann
College nicknames and their orgins are kind of a hobby of mine. This is off the Oklahoma web site.

"The Oklahoma Territory opened with the Land Run of 1889. Settlers from across the globe, seeking free land, made their way to the prairies of the plains to stake their claim to a new life. One of the few rules to claiming a lot of land was that all participants were to start at the same time, on the boom of a cannon. All settlers who started then were labeled as "Boomers" and the ones who went too soon were called "Sooners." "
Last edited {1}

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.