Skip to main content

We have completed (?) a fairly extensive project of soliciting input from coaches (high school and college, and others) scouts and other 'experts' from around the state and have come up with our "Cream of the Crop" top junior (Class of 2012) baseball 'prospects'. The top 'prospects' can some time differ from those have had the best high school careers so far. Our goal was to generate a listing of those that 'project' to play at the highest 'next level'..... This will remain a work in process, so don't be surprised to see changes as we go forward. As always we welcome your comments, etc. Either post them here, send us a private message or email us at VaPreps@aol.com. Enjoy the list!

Cream of the Crop-Class of 2012
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by hellosir:
Not to sound nit picky, but last time I saw him, Garrett Brooks is MAYBE 5'7 ... nowhere near 5'10 . O_o unless he has hit a major growth spurt in the last couple weeks.

Hellosir, am assuming that the last time you saw him was in the Fall of 2009. Mr. Brooks' mother said he was 5'7" at a doctor's appointment in the Fall of 2009. According to Mr. Brooks, he is 5'8". And according to his mother, he was over 5'8", pushing 5'9", at a recent doctor's appointment.
Last edited by WB Reporter
[QUOTE]Originally posted by eyefortalent1:
Hardly a very thorough list. I know of plenty of strong players you haven't mentioned.

Might be good to see how these guys do in their Junior season before pronouncing any "Cream of the Crop" list.[/QUOT

Sheesh, it's a preseason list...if you have players to add or think worthy...send them in to WB...or add them here..after all, you are an eyefortalent...evereyone knows the kids have to play well to meet the expectations..
Last edited by dblemup
OK. Here are a few 2012's not on list from Northern VA that you might want to do a little research on:

Denis Mikush - P,3B (Robinson)
Bobby San Martin - 3B (Centerville?)
Joe Warren - P (St. Stephens)
Sean Trenchard - SS, OF (West Potomac)
Brandon Gum - SS - (Woodbridge)
Justin Petock - OF - (Woodbridge)
Andrew Rector - CF - (South County)
Kyle Fairbanks - P, 1B (South County)
Michael Church - P (Lake Braddock)
Kyle Corwin - SS (Westfield)
Bryan Drager - P (Westfield)
quote:
Originally posted by eyefortalent1:
OK. Here are a few 2012's not on list from Northern VA that you might want to do a little research on:

Denis Mikush - P,3B (Robinson)
Bobby San Martin - 3B (Centerville?)
Joe Warren - P (St. Stephens)
Sean Trenchard - SS, OF (West Potomac)
Brandon Gum - SS - (Woodbridge)
Justin Petock - OF - (Woodbridge)
Andrew Rector - CF - (South County)
Kyle Fairbanks - P, 1B (South County)
Michael Church - P (Lake Braddock)
Kyle Corwin - SS (Westfield)
Bryan Drager - P (Westfield)

All good suggestions to watch. And if you had looked at the Top 75 list (link), you'd have seen several of them listed...

Bobby San Martin is at Centreville and is VERY good.
Last edited by dblemup
Zak Wasilewski is a terrific young talent, and a nice young man. SP_son and Zak were teammates at the 2009 USA Baseball NTIS. We wish him all the success in the world at USC (Gamecocks).

Breaking all the rules of etiquette, dare I add SP_son to your listing of Top 2012 LHP’s. If you are going by results against top tier competition, between East Cobb & Jupiter, in 2010 he allowed just 1 Hit & 1 Run (a solo HR) in 6.3 innings of work against the powerful 2010 Canes North team; including 3 No-Hit innings in Jupiter to lock down a 2-1 win for Coach Merc’s team.

David Phillips (2012 LHP/1B, Christchurch School)

David labors in relative obscurity, in part because he is not a flamethrower, and in part because he has played a great deal for teams out of CA, NY & OH so many folks don’t realize he’s from VA.

Forgive me for blowing my own son's horn, but if playing against -- and beating -- some of the best competition in the country for the past four years is the measure of success; then he deserves to be included in the conversation of 2012 Pitchers/Players to watch.
If Wynkoop rates ahead of Kirby, he must be pretty good. Kirby runs 88-92, hard arm-side run, excellent sink on his change up, unhittable knuckle curve when it's on.

Others meriting mention include Godwin's Matt Lees. I also like Hermitage's Chris Burnett though he's more of a finesse guy, sits around 81 and tops out around 84, but has shown the ability to shut down top offensive teams.
If it were a "one man's opinion", I'd say there are guys on this list who definitely belong, and a few IMHO who do not, though I certainly think it would be inappropriate to mention specific names in a negative vein.

But why people get all bent out of shape when someone tries to mesh input from multiple sources into something comprehensive is something I'll never understand. Perfect Game does the best job nationally but they do not and cannot evaluate everyone. I think VaPreps does a creditable job for those of us interested in our home state. At the very least, it makes for good water cooler talk.
Last edited by Midlo Dad
quote:
Originally posted by Midlo Dad:
Perfect Game does the best job nationally but they do not and cannot evaluate everyone. I think VaPreps does a creditable job for those of us interested in our home state. At the very least, it makes for good water cooler talk.

Well said, just as VAPreps does the best they can in a big baseball state like Virginia.

In addition, in today's economic times many parents simply cannot afford to fork over up to $600 to attend a PG event.

With all due respect to PG, there are plenty of excellent, college-bound baseball players that don't show up on PG's listings, for whatever reason.
quote:
Originally posted by southpaw_dad:
Zak Wasilewski is a terrific young talent, and a nice young man. SP_son and Zak were teammates at the 2009 USA Baseball NTIS. We wish him all the success in the world at USC (Gamecocks).

Breaking all the rules of etiquette, dare I add SP_son to your listing of Top 2012 LHP’s. If you are going by results against top tier competition, between East Cobb & Jupiter, in 2010 he allowed just 1 Hit & 1 Run (a solo HR) in 6.3 innings of work against the powerful 2010 Canes North team; including 3 No-Hit innings in Jupiter to lock down a 2-1 win for Coach Merc’s team.

David Phillips (2012 LHP/1B, Christchurch School)

David labors in relative obscurity, in part because he is not a flamethrower, and in part because he has played a great deal for teams out of CA, NY & OH so many folks don’t realize he’s from VA.

Forgive me for blowing my own son's horn, but if playing against -- and beating -- some of the best competition in the country for the past four years is the measure of success; then he deserves to be included in the conversation of 2012 Pitchers/Players to watch.

I have seen a David Philips pitch for both Notre Dame Academy and PVI Catholic...but he would have been a SR by now...unless he sat out a year athletically...to be a 2012

Question Dad...He seems to have played at a National level, how would he not get noticed? I am just asking....
quote:
Originally posted by bball_lifer:
In addition, in today's economic times many parents simply cannot afford to fork over up to $600 to attend a PG event.

With all due respect to PG, there are plenty of excellent, college-bound baseball players that don't show up on PG's listings, for whatever reason.

There are many kids in PG's rankings that did not attend an individual showcase.

PG usually gets it right on the vast majority of kids who go on to play Division 1 baseball. I don't know what the percentage is but it has to be in the high 90's.
dblemup -- David did reclassify to take a prep year before college (he was only 14 at NDA, and is still younger than many other 2012's). To answer your other question, he has earned some recognition with what he has done on the national scene ... I just mentioned him because many in VA do not know he is a 2012 LHP in VA ... and the question was who are some of the top 2012 LHP's in VA.

I'm not claiming he is the best. There are a lot of good players out there. I just think he has earned a place in the conversation. I was reluctant to even mention his name for the obvious reason that I'm Dad; I only spoke up in response to the specific question about 2012 LHP's in VA.
quote:
Originally posted by southpaw_dad:
dblemup -- David did reclassify to take a prep year before college (he was only 14 at NDA, and is still younger than many other 2012's). To answer your other question, he has earned some recognition with what he has done on the national scene ... I just mentioned him because many in VA do not know he is a 2012 LHP in VA ... and the question was who are some of the top 2012 LHP's in VA.

I'm not claiming he is the best. There are a lot of good players out there. I just think he has earned a place in the conversation. I was reluctant to even mention his name for the obvious reason that I'm Dad; I only spoke up in response to the specific question about 2012 LHP's in VA.

I am not questioning your motive at all. Nice to see a dad proud of his son. Heck, I wasn't even sure it was the same David Philips I had seen (not an uncommon name).
All that said, given the schools he has attended and the exposure he is getting on the National level, I would think he will get his due.

Good luck!

Today we are featuring Mitch Aker, junior from Paul IV that has already committed to W&M! You can check out our FREE! list of juniors at the link below. Keep on posting about those that we may have missed or that should receive consideration for our update which will be out soon!

Top Class of 2012 prospects!

Yes this listing is provided free of charge, no subscription or registration required to view!
As to 2012 LHP's:

Redbird is right about Lees being a senior this year. I forgot we were talking just about 2012's and not about all lefties.

For 2012 LHP's, I think at this point you would have to include James River's Kit Scheetz on the list. After missing all of 2010 with a torn ACL, who knew what this year would bring? But with Kirby out with a sprained ankle early, here are the results after three starts: 3-0, 17 IP, 9 H, 20K, 1 run (earned), 0.41 ERA.

And I'll second Michael Boyle. Saw him 86-88 recently and the slurvy breaker is just plain nasty. He is tall and lanky and has one of those "all arms and legs" deliveries that can add to deceptiveness.

Also at Deep Run, Patrick Gardner is not as hard a thrower, maybe 82-84, but he is very smooth and has a great feel for pitching. I've been disappointed that they haven't gotten him more innings here early, but with all the rain we're having, we're destined for some weeks with 3 and 4 games with all the makeups we'll have to do, so I'm sure we'll see him before too long.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.