Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

From the D1 Manual:
15.5.3.2.2.1 Academic Honor Awards—Based on High School Record. Academic honor awards that are part of an institution’s normal arrangements for academic scholarships, based solely on the recipient’s high school record and awarded independently of athletics interests and in amounts consistent with the pattern of all such awards made by the institution, are exempt from an institution’s equivalency computation, provided the recipient was ranked in the upper 10 percent of the high school graduating class or achieved a cumulative grade-point average of at least 3.500 (based on a maximum of 4.000) or a minimum ACT sum score of 105 or a minimum SAT score of 1200 (critical reading and math).

If a player has met these requirements, and maintains a 3.0GPA in college (15.5.3.2.2.1.2), his academic award may be exempted from the 11.7. Note however, that the academic award has to be consistent with all other students. For example, most players at Duke or Stanford have the above high school record. But they don't qualify for the exemption because they don't meet the university's typical requirements for academic scholarships.
Last edited by 3FingeredGlove
A few months ago, due to posts and PM’s from members of this site, I started to become more aware of just how important grades are. I started to do searches through many, many, pages on this site to learn more.

The academic money I am talking about is $10K or more for the criterion as 3FG quoted (in our case a >3.5 GPA). Key to this though, is that it has to be warranted based upon the norms of the school.

As usual, 3FG provided an excellent response and was kind enough to point out some of the pitfalls of the practical aspects of the ruling.

In another recent post (Recruiting Reality), PG Staff made several excellent posts and one that included:

“If my son would have had IVY League type academic accomplishments. I'd have no problem "marketing" that.

When the grades and test scores are off the chart, everyone perks up a little. This is a big advantage, of course.

In this case marketing to the high end academic colleges seems like a good idea to me. Especially if the fit is the smaller colleges that don't have a large recruiting budget.

Also, there are major DI schools that might see thousands of players, but a small fraction of those players they see qualify to be recruited.”

As 3FG points out, a 3.5 is as common as dirt in some colleges. In others though, it is not as common. In fact, one Assistant Coach said to me, we specifically hunt for cases where the academics are high enough not to cut into our 11.7.

In all seriousness, they aren’t going to take an RHP throwing 85 mph. You have to continue to work hard at development.

Looking at Private/Public; Endowment Levels per student; and incoming SAT marks; you can get a good idea of which schools are the target audience.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.