Skip to main content

Well we started doing something today, Wow our field still has an average depth of 10 inches and in some places where it has drifted it's 18+ inches today 2/20/10. I cannot see us on the field for another 3 weeks, and that's pushing it. The area between the bleechers and the cage is like a swamp from the snow melt. We would not dare take any kind of removal equipment on the field for fear of tearing it up, mother nature is just going to have to remove it from the field. We are fortunate to have a cage indside and three gyms at our school to use.

I've never seen anything like it !

If you live in Southeastern Virginia, you are very lucky. I've got a feeling our schedule is going to be crazy up here this season.

Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

They're not calling this the 100yr storm for nothing.

I know that Prince William County Park-n-Rec does not touch their fields as well, even the ALL Turf Waters Field in Vienna beside the fire house. They informed me that they let everyone melt naturally.

Everyone is in the same boat up north. I do not see any local fields being ready until mid-late March if that and that depends upon decent weather with good drying out days.

It'll take several days if not a week to dry out and we must have consistent above freezing temps. The freeze thawing affect does not make for ideal playing conditions.

Shenandoah University's home schedule for March is in serious jeopardy but mother nature can do amazing things in such short notice.

Sure would be nice to have an ALL TURF baseball field in the Winchester area.

We have two ALL TURF football facilities at Shenandoah University and now Handley HS. Need an ALL TURF baseball facility somewhere soon!

Last edited by MILBY
FYI- I found it easier to roll the field when it is about 35 deg. The top is melted and you can mash the snow down. Do let it get too soft or you will tear up the field. We had about 10 inches when I started. I rolled it every other day. We have green grass and red dirt infield in about a week. Unless we get more weather the boys should be on it Monday. With the wind we are getting everything should be dry.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.