35 2010 John McCann St Christophers VA
36 2010 Jason Ellington Warwick VA
37 2010 Taylor Lambke Notre Dame Academy VA
38 2010 Taylor Topping Tallwood VA
39 2010 Chase Kyriacou Frank W Cox VA
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Every name on their may be deserving...but as others have pointed out, are they there because their parents had the money to send them to a showcase or were they submitted by their coaches who wanted to give them some pub. Personally, I would rely on this Forum's participants who have actually seen or played against the pitchers. To me that carries a lot more weight. Without first hand reports from you guys, all the list is is fun to talk about.
Jake Joyce was a member of the 2010 class and we thought he should be recognized for his standing with his peers.

Thanks for the heads up on Fitzgerald, You are right I posted a work sheet not the final list.

The list is recognition of high achieving players, we are sure there are others who would fit on the list.

By the way , we have seen every pitcher on this list throw. Those we have not seen we did not include. Therefore, we are sure there are pitchers we have missed.

This is not a showcase or camp list, we have seen these pitchers at high school games, college camps, showcases, and tournaments. As in any sport, the better players usually progress to travel or elite teams, and that does take funding.

We do all we can to attend roughly 300 high school games in the spring to evaluate players. You are correct to a degree where most players listed attended some kind of showcase, tournament, or plays for an elite travel organization. That is just the environment that exist.

Let us know who we may have missed.
Last edited by Bobby McKinney
We did like the arm action on all three players listed. We liked Santalucia as a position player and had him at a 7.15 at one of our events. On the mound he was in the low 80's. I am sure that has improved.

Cullen and Kaufman both could fit on the list when it comes to projection, we like both of them. The list is a "now list" and also based on the best or last time we have seen a player perform.

Could you give me a update on their velocity range. Kaufman was 83-84 touching 85 the last time we saw him, and his cb was starting to have nice bite. Cullen we saw top out at 81, again over 12 months ago, I am sure he has also gained strength.

We hold skills combines at least every three months, this allows players the opportunity to attend and have their progress and growth noticed.

We video tape every player at the workouts, and place this video on each players profile page so college recruiters and pro scouts can see the progress.

Keep up on track with the best players in the Central region..
Totally agree on Fitzgerald. Way too far down the list.

Also, Ryan Ashooh? LHP from Centreville HS. Committed to UVA in the fall of his junior year. He has to be one of the 10, if not 5, best 2010 kids in the state.

I know rankings like this cant be perfect but if Ashooh's not thought of as top 30 than this isn't even be considered remotely credible.

Also, Taylor Lambke transfered to Stone Bridge over a year ago. He no longer attends NDA.
quote:
Originally posted by NHSVikingDad:
First two are correct. Jake Joyce is on Va.Tech roster enrolled early. After that it becomes apparent that Bob is from the Beach area! lol.
Don't understand why having 1/3 of the pitchers on the list be from Tidewater is indicative that Bobby is from the Beach area. Wonder what percentage of Virginia high school players / pitchers in general are from Tidewater? Tidewater has been well represented in the AAA state championships (3 out of past 6 years, 4 out of 7 years)and is probably the area of Virginia which has produced the largest percentage of active major league players from the state.
Bobby,
I'm reviewing this list and wondering if the numbers to the left represent anything? If they do what was the criteria used to rank these kids velocity?, body type?, mound presence?, mechanics?, sucess at high level competition? or arm action? trying to get a feel for this list and struggling a bit to figure it out if you are ranking these kids from 1-39. I know it is based off of last years info, but still wondering how you came up with the rankings if that is what this is.
For whatever its worth Bobby, IMO the new list is much better and having seen probably half of these kids this seems pretty darn acurate.

WB Id agree at least 1/3 should be from Tidewater. It may vary from year to year slightly but I think history tells us that if you take the top 40 from Virginia in a typical year then it's fair to estimate that at least 13/14 would be from Tidewater. At least.
Last edited by vabaseballfan
I see some missing completely on the list and some that shouldnt be there.

Maybe there needs to be a disclaimer that says "players included are players that attended a baseball clearing house event"

Left out Matoaca's #1 pitcher but included #2 and #3.

No Ryan Morrison from Manchester? He is pretty well thought of

More from Tidewater because they are better? How about more because the population is bigger?

Since Tidewater includes Chesapeake,Norfolk, Hampton, Tidewater, Newport News, VA Beach, and every other town east of 95.
Let me begin by making it clear that all players on the list, do belong there. This is a list that recognizes young men and gives them some well deserved respect for their accomplishments.

If for some reason one of your favorite players does not appear, it does that player no justice, by degrading any young athlete.

As stated earlier, this is not a list of just players who have attended baseballclearinghouse.net events, it is a list of players we have seen and evaluated. Geography has nothing to do with the list.

Any list of top talent will be assembled by assembling the best data possible. Unless you can get every pitcher in the state of Virginia to assemble in one location on the same day, the information gathered will be based on the last time the player was evaluated. This is why it is so important for players to "stay out in front" on coaches and recruiters by being attending as many exposure events (showcases, tournament, and camps as possible.

The criteria is pretty simple. What players have the best chance of advancing the furthest in professional or college baseball. Take into consideration Billy Wagner was throwing 83 mph in hs, so he most likely would not have made the list.

Strength,velocity, command, life, pitchabliltiy and strength projection due to body frame all go into selection. Many players are effective in hs with movement and command, however, when better(more athletic hitter) arrive at the college level, there is a need for more gas in the tank.

This is what makes baseball the hardest sport to project talent. I am sure a case could be made for the number one starter at all 270'ish high schools in the state to be placed on the list.

The list are players who have reached a level that is consistent with success in college and professional baseball. These players have already shown proficiency with velocity that is the threshold to be able to compete at the highest levels of amateur or even in professional baseball.

The numbers to the left are ranking from 1 to 39.....why 39, that is where the number of players ascending to the "top prospect" threshold was found. As we see more players at our events and at hs games, the number will increase. The number in Texas may be 80, in Florida 100, who knows. Some years have better pool of high level talent than others.

We are not perfect, and look forward to adding more top players to the list.
We get no greater joy than having a player recommended to us, that turns out to be a "Top Prospect".
Agree that Tidewater should have more b/c they are bigger. I dont think anyone said it should be because they're better. I just said history tells us that at least a third of a typical top 40 would come from that area and WB said they're well represented in the state championships and in the major leagues. IMO the Richmond area is every bit as good if you were to look at it per capita.

As for Wahl going "straight to MLB draft", I don't think there's any doubt he's going to get drafted somewhere. He's got a nice college situation waiting for him at Ole Miss if he doesn't like his pro offer, so it would seem he's put himself in a good position and he has some leverage. Good for him.
Last edited by vabaseballfan
In the little time I have been on the message board I see where people are very territorial, and get hurt feelings when it is perceived that one are is better than to other.

Players come from everywhere, no area can claim, they know more about baseball than any other. Population bases have a lot to do with it.

The Tidewater region of Virginia has generated a great deal of baseball talent the main reason is simple. Over 80 high schools with in a 60 mile radius. Do the math with 80 programs with approx 20 to 40 players competing at varsity and jv level and you see 1600 to 3200 young men playing baseball in one geographic area. Area smaller than the Dominican Republic with more baseball players per square mile.

Talent is every where in the State of Virginia.
Bobby,

Thanks for the explaination, sounds reasonable to me.
I understand it is very hard to rank kids at this age especially when using data that is almost a year old. I think your list is a great post and topic for a preseason discussion. You guy's do a great job keep up the hard work. NHS Viking I am sure ment nothing degrading from his post, he is a great guy and a very knowledgeable baseball man.
It's somewhat interesting that Lewis Singleton is up higher on the list than Dean Ali after the huge games he (Ali) threw as a Soph & Junior in Regionals for Indian River.

Singleton's a big kid... has a decent fastball and above average slider. He has a GREAT upside. He just hasn't won any big games against top-level teams in Hampton Roads yet in his career.

Ali has been the backbone of IR's success the past 2 seasons, defeating some stacked teams as Sophomore, and last year, after striking out 10+ going head-to-head against Singleton in Regionals, came back and pitched 4 shutout innings in relief against National Champ Menchville a few days later.

Regardless, they are both very good pitchers... seeing the break down just surprised me (Stokes being #4 was interesting... as well as Taylor Topping on the list over Inghram at Grassfield).

But I know what opinions are like... everyone has one, that's just mine.
Last edited by Smith Baseball
Bobby has it right.He simply has posted what he knows to be true based on the numbers.Certainly,if you have some new information on a listed player or a name missed do all a favor especially the young player and mention his name.That is what this site and post is about.Midlo seems to pick up on it quite easily,maybe thats why his posts are appreciated.#15 is mentioned ahead of # 18 because when watched by those folks that follow with the watch and projectors see him moving further up the line against as mentioned "better batters".Just as much as hitting rules the day,don't kid yourself,so does velocity.The #1 is not on top because of his off-speed pitch.
Great point venkman about $$ for showcase. I'm in 100% agreeement with JMO - why would you post this if it is old data? Please tell me you lost track of time, and thought it was April Fools Day......

I have seen a lot of these kids pitch last spring, summer, and fall. I would certainly like to understand your weighting system, and how many innings you witnessed these young men pitch. Like any list, it is only as good as the methodology.
I am not sure of the methodology,

Experience, I believe. I rely on 23 years of professional scouting and evaluating, seeing well over 50,000 high school players. I have seen what plays well at the college and pro level and base decisions on that.

Most recruiters and evaluators only need 10 to 20 pitches to know if a player has the "stuff" to help them. After a player is identified as a prospect/potential recruit, then they would be evaluated for a few innings. We see what we need to see to know if they are a talented player, then the rest is up to the recruiter/pro scouts.

I have been fortunate to be involved with, and over see a developmental program, that has seen over 1100 player continue playing at the college level, 122 players have signed professional contracts, and 22 players have played at the major league level. We have a pretty good idea of what plays at the next level.

Old Data
I don't quite understand the questions about old data. If we saw a player throw 90 12 months ago than that would put him on the list. If the last time saw a player he threw 80, 12 months ago, then he might not make the list. Mos of college recruiting is done June/July/August the fall is hard for colleges to get out after they begin fall practice. Spring evaluation is hard for college due to the fact they are playing and usually on venture as far as they can and get back in time for their game.

We are out 12 months out of the year, attending hundreds of high school games, college camps, travel tournaments (summer and fall) and showcase events. I believe we see more (numbers) of players, more frequently than any college or pro scout. That is why we do what we do, to present relevant information about players. Many of the player on our list we saw more than a dozen time.

All Players on the list displayed qualifications to be there. If a player deserves to be on the list and is not, most likely we have not seen him.

You have to understand that all list are based on "last seen" data. Major league scouts data bases, college coaches recruiting list, ranking services typically see a player only a few times a year (if that). However, all see what they need to see to base decisions.

I believe your question would be about a player who gets stronger and adds strength or velocity to their game. That is why pro scouts are out right now tracking players. HS season has started in Florida, Alabama for example and scouts are attending games to see (known players-prospects) to see progress and (recommended players-suspects)to see if there is validity to their talent.

This is why we developed baseballclearinghouse.net

For players with talent, they can attend and event and instantly be in front of the baseball decision makers. The alternative is to wait till June and begin playing in showcases and tournaments and "hope" a recruiter or scout attends your game on field #21

We would love to see players who have "raised" their game, that is why we hold skills combines.
JMO

The list is no joke and 72 college coaches in VA and 30 area major league scouts would probably agree. They receive the list and thank us for sending it. Just because this is the first time you are seeing the list does not mean it has not been around.

Correct, We have not seen Ryan Morrison.

We have heard very good things about him, and look forward to seeing him soon,

Please forward me the list of the pitching staff for Manchester so we can follow up.

Tough to pitch on some teams.

Menchville HS (for example) will has two pitchers throwing in the 90 to 94 mph range this spring.

With only two games per week (if no rain), it would be hard for any pitcher out of the top 10 to "take the mound" for them.

Thanks for the update on Morrison, keep them coming.
Guys, lighten up.

Bobby has already said "that he has not seen everyone pitch and if you have some information about a player, to send to him or post it."

This board is about the kids and spreading the word to promote them. Does it really matter who is #1 or #39?????? If you are about the kids - then talk up the player you want to promote - don't say one kid should be here and one kid should not be here. You do not know who is reading the board - so stay positive.
So you hadn't managed to see him.

He was the front line pitcher for the 137 legion team that went to the world series 2 years ago and then won a second state title this past summer. He was the guy that Saunders consistantly started ahead of Hauser in Manchester's biggest games last season - like in the regionals against Deep Run where he dueled RC Orlan (UNC if you didn't get a chance to see him either) for 9 shutout innings.

I can understand not seeing a tweener who doesn't get out there much but this kid has been on a premier HS team in addition to back to back State championship Legion teams. He touches 92 and had a half dozen DI offers (chose VCU by the way).

It appears that this list is compiled from kids who have paid to attend the events that you and "janderson" have been SPAMMING about here for the last couple days.

Thanks for your resume though - but I already knew who you were. I'm just shocked that someone with all that experience can miss a kid who hasn't exactly been hiding under a rock at some AA school.

Do participants at the clearinghouse events get a copy of your book included in the $129 or is that extra?
JMO

No we really don't sell the book anymore.

We simply take the time, at the event, to stay and answer any and all questions parents and players may have.

We typically meet with each player, and parents, individually to give a skills reports and answer any specific questions. We are there for 1 to 2 hours after the event has concluded doing so.

Not seeing Ryan just shows we (nor anyone else) see's every player. That is why we depend on good feed back to let us know about talent.

In the end, The list could be all wrong. It is just an opinion on 16/17/18 years old athletes who change physically, all the time.
Bobby,

I think Kaufman is going to run 86-88 this spring. He may brush 90 1-2 times/game. The big asset there is the breaking pitch, though, so measuring MPH doesn't tell you why he will be effective. The big question is whether he gets defensive support and run support to compile good stats. L.C. Bird has struggled in both departments in recent years.

Cullen from what I saw over the summer is going to be mid-80's which for a lefty is pretty stiff. Mostly I like him from a subjective evaluation standpoint. He's not very tall which leads a lot of folks to overlook him, but he's just one of those guys who takes the ball in tough situations and goes out there and controls the game.

Santalucia is going to run 81-84, not a real fast guy. But throwing from a low 3/4 angle from the left side, he is murder on lefties and the tailing action on righties is pretty tough for them as well. And he has decent breaking stuff to go with it. Again, not a big MPH guy. If you're evaluating guys based on pro potential, maybe he's not on the list. If you're projecting who's likely to put up outstanding numbers this spring, then he is on the list.
It is based on pro and college projection. And this list will change as the spring rolls on. That is why scouts go to games. Many players will rise up.

However, some of the most effective high school pitchers, this spring, will never play college baseball. That is why the list is not based on performance or effectiveness. Those factors have to deal with the level of competition you are playing.

Go figure. Off speed and "trick" pitchers will carry high school teams along way when facing line ups that have just a "few - quality hitters" in the line up. The landscape changes when all 9 hitters in a college line up, are the quality of the one or two a pitcher may have faced in high school.

There are numerous players who won over 20 games in a high school career and had little or no effect after high school.
Wow I guess you know everything there is to know about High School Baseball. I can't believe we actually missed a player in the state of Va. It's a list of top pitchers we have personally seened. I'm always glad to recieve new information about high school atheletes. Thanks for your help. Please give me a call at 757-646-1570 with more of your great insight.
Anyone who is complaining about this list is pathetic. it is obvously compiled of information that was collected last year (and maybe summer?) of pitchers from the state. As the spring goes along maybe it will change, people will be added or raise higher and others will drop. but lets not forget.... ITS JUST AN ONLINE LIST! It is an opinion of not just people who think they know baseball, but its the opinion of people who make a LIVING of doing what they do. So to everyone on here complaing just because they're "favorite" playing maybe isnt as high on the list or even on the list at all, GROW UP and tell your "Superstar" to show what he can do on the field and hopefully someone is watching. So instead of criticize someone for doing there JOB, just give suggestions as to who they should visit and see play. Dont bash Bobby for not being able to see every 15456315486468 "Pitchers" in the state of Virginia. thats why this thread is here, to give the people of Baseball Clearinghouse a list of potential people they can make their way to to watch play. Thankss
quote:
Wow I guess you know everything there is to know about High School Baseball. I can't believe we actually missed a player in the state of Va. It's a list of top pitchers we have personally seened. I'm always glad to recieve new information about high school atheletes. Thanks for your help. Please give me a call at 757-646-1570 with more of your great insight.

j,

You're obviously new here, but I would recommend you go back and read the board's etiquette and manners guidelines.
Last edited by Midlo Dad

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.