Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by jhelbling:

Obviously, there are non-wood material in this bat as in most composite bats.

By definition, a composite wood bat is going to contain some non-wood material; at the very least it needs an adhesive to hold the pieces together. Maybe they are referring to the bats with carbon composite handles and wood barrels.

I can't believe the bat with the plastic core would be legal at  PG wood bat event....but I can't say for sure.....it's definitely not legal for HS.  BBCOR wood composite means that the bat isn't a single piece of wood like an ash or maple....but it is all wood.  You can't have other materials and still be BBCOR certified.  

This is from the PG site:

Wood Bats:

All players must use wood or wood composite bats only. No metal bats allowed. Part wood and part metal bats are not allowed

Originally Posted by Buckeye 2015:

BBCOR wood composite means that the bat isn't a single piece of wood like an ash or maple....but it is all wood.  You can't have other materials and still be BBCOR certified. 

Buckeye, I don't think BBCOR certification limits material types. Mizuno (and others) makes a BBCOR bat with a maple composite barrel and a carbon composite handle. I'm sure those would not be OK at at a PG wood bat event.

I can't believe the bat with the plastic core would be legal at  PG wood bat event....but I can't say for sure.....it's definitely not legal for HS.  BBCOR wood composite means that the bat isn't a single piece of wood like an ash or maple....but it is all wood.  You can't have other materials and still be BBCOR certified.  

This is from the PG site:

Wood Bats:

All players must use wood or wood composite bats only. No metal bats allowed. Part wood and part metal bats are not allowed

I've seen plenty of Baum Bats used in HS games... They are BBCOR certified and legal for play.

http://www.mme.wsu-ssl.org/certifiedbaseballbats.aspx

Last edited by Bolts-Coach-PR
Originally Posted by Soylent Green:
Originally Posted by sowilson:

Is it BBCOR certified? If it's a wood composite bat legal for HS play then it would need to be?

Looking through the website, I don't see any reference to BBCOR certification... Maybe I'm reading right over it.  Bolts are you sure these are legal BBCOR bats?

I didn't see any mention of BBCOR on their website either, so I went to a couple of sites that sell Baum bats and you can see the BBCOR mark in the pictures.  Someone in marketing is sleeping.

Originally Posted by sowilson:
Originally Posted by Marklaker:

Look closer....home page states:

AAAPro® — Hits exactly like wood and meets all NCAA and NFHS standards

Which means absolutly nothing.  You can meet their standard but until you're BBCOR certified and your product carries the label then it can't be used in a game.

If only BBCOR certified bats meet NCAA and NFHS standards for use, then it's not a big leap to make.  At least it wasn't for me.

Originally Posted by MidAtlanticDad:

Getting back to the original question...  I tend to think that PG would not knowingly allow the Baum AAA Pro bat to be used in their wood bat events. The description on JustBats.com says "Foamed Plastic Core". I'm speculating that they only want the ones that are laminated wood.

FYI: Perfect Game has a sponsor, Louisville Slugger...

Louisville Slugger makes this bat:
http://slugger.com/bats/wood-b...id/bbhy14-13nna.aspx

This MLB Hybrid has a similar Carbon Fiber Rod running right down the middle of it...

This bat is sold at Louisville Slugger tents at EVERY PerfectGame Tournament/showcase site... It's LEGAL at ALL PerfectGame events... I asked.

So if BBCOR is supposed to limit the performance of any bat to that of a "real" wood bats.....correct?   If so then what does adding carbon fiber or plastic do to the wood bat?   Does it makes them offer higher performance  than an "all wood" bat?  If so, how can they be BBCOR....since that's based on a true all wood bat?  Doesn't make a lot of sense.  If they aren't "better than wood" why would anyone buy them?   If they do perform better, how do they meet the BBCOR standard???

So if BBCOR is supposed to limit the performance of any bat to that of a "real" wood bats.....correct?   If so then what does adding carbon fiber or plastic do to the wood bat?   Does it makes them offer higher performance  than an "all wood" bat?  If so, how can they be BBCOR....since that's based on a true all wood bat?  Doesn't make a lot of sense.  If they aren't "better than wood" why would anyone buy them?   If they do perform better, how do they meet the BBCOR standard???

A bat can be "better" than a traditional wood bat if it's less susceptible to breaking or lasts longer (same thing).  IMNHO once a bat needs BBCOR certification then it's competing with all other BBCOR bats.  So that composite, multipiece, bamboo bat better be as good as an Easton Mako or DiMarini Voodoo.  For me, a wood bat is made from a single piece of wood on a lathe.

The boys I know use them because they last a lot longer than regular wood.  Although, my son likes wood better, these bats are great for getting lots of reps in the cage.

Wow quite a discussion here. 

Baum bats have been used in PG (and other wood bat tournaments) for years. They are a "wood equivalent", not a "metal" bat used in HS and College ball. The hit and feel just like a wood bat, however there will always be some who argue whether a "real" wood bat, or another type wood equivalent is better or not. (bamboo, wood composite, etc) It is all personal preference.

BTW the Baum bats are also approved for minor league play and you see them all the time in summer college wood bat leagues. 

My son has used probably every type of wood equivalent, as well as a number of different wood bats. He prefers the Baum because of its feel and the ability to get them with different handle types and drops.  Just for reference his bat is used nearly every day of the year in BP or in intersquads all fall (college), as well as summer college leagues.  They do break and his typically lasts about 12-18 mos. They start fatigue and get hairline fractures in the handle area just below the hands and eventually break about 3-4" below that. 

Last edited by BOF

My son has a Baum bat that he uses for batting practice and in summer where most tournaments use wood. He probably had 10,000 plus swings on the Baum bat - it finally broke after 2.5 years of using.

I promptly bought him another one. Before buying a Baum - he broke 3 wood bats at $60 bat in about 4 months - it did not take a genius to do the math - yes they are expensive at $200 but saves money in the long run.

Baums' website says they are proven to perform as well as the most popular MLB wood bats - and from what I have seen they perform as well as any of my son's teammates wood bats - they are BBCOR certified - and the last a long time.

I am not trying to be a spokesperson for BAUM - I am just speaking as a father who has to shell out the money for my son's bat(s) - its been good for us.

For the record... Baum bats are legal to use in all PG events.  The only advantage and it is a big one is the Baum bat simply lasts longer.  The performance is NOT better than a normal wood bat.  

Regarding the Louisville Slugger bat... They are one of our sponsors, but this bat is a new product.  We have not made a ruling regarding the use of that bat.  If we find it performs equal and its main attribute is it will last longer, we might make it legal before the big tournaments this summer.  

The vast majority of the teams and players in PG tournaments use maple.  Some still use ash.  Not many use Baum or other type of bat even if legal.  I do think many players use these other bats for batting practice.

Our goal is to closely replicate professional baseball... Wood bats, flat seam balls, etc.

We want to know which kids can throw the flat seam ball used in pro baseball and hit with wood.  Both can be a big separator In talent at times. Obviously those that can perform with the flat seam ball and wood bats, have no trouble with the college ball and metal bats.

Last edited by PGStaff

So if BBCOR is supposed to limit the performance of any bat to that of a "real" wood bats.....correct? 

Incorrect... BBCOR means that a bat cannot have a Batted-Ball Coefficient of Restitution of more than .50

If they do perform better, how do they meet the BBCOR standard???

They DON'T perform better than other BBCOR bats that's why they meet the BBCOR standard...

FYI: A wood bat has a BBCOR rating of approx. .47 - .48... Which I would imagine the Baum bat is really close to...

Originally Posted by PGStaff:

Regarding the Louisville Slugger bat... They are one of our sponsors, but this bat is a new product.  We have not made a ruling regarding the use of that bat.  If we find it performs equal and its main attribute is it will last longer, we might make it legal before the big tournaments this summer.  

Do you guys have an actual list of what's legal, or is it just what's on the WSU BBCOR approved list? The MLB Hybrid is on that list, by the way...

Originally Posted by PGStaff:

No we don't have a list.  So far the Baum bat is the only one other than regular wood Allowed in the WWBA events.

I believe the BCS division of PG follows whatever the college rules are.

Do you have this posted somewhere? Because I've seen all sorts of DeMarini's and other composite bats in use at WWBA events... Thanks.

Composites are legal if they are all wood, no metal. If you have seen other than that you have seen illegal bats being used.  That would mean administrators, umpires, and opposing teams all missed it.

I'm a bit confused, we have been doing the same thing for a long time. Thousands and thousands of games every year. I can't remember a single issue.

I know a few years ago when my son did the PG wood bat tourneys, he and a lot of others used this DeMarini bat -

http://www.demarini.com/en-us/...Pro-Maple-Composite/

It has a composite handle and wood head. I know it is BBCOR, but now I'm not sure if it was legal according to PG. I know there is no metal in it, but I'm not sure if the handle is composite wood or some kind of synthetic composite. 

Originally Posted by bballman:

I know a few years ago when my son did the PG wood bat tourneys, he and a lot of others used this DeMarini bat -

http://www.demarini.com/en-us/...Pro-Maple-Composite/

It has a composite handle and wood head. I know it is BBCOR, but now I'm not sure if it was legal according to PG. I know there is no metal in it, but I'm not sure if the handle is composite wood or some kind of synthetic composite. 

I just researched a little more. This bat does have a composite wood handle and a maple barrel, so I guess it would be legal. I found it to be very durable. 

2015 used a Baum early last summer including at PG WWBA 15U. He had used it for about 1.5 years before that for cage work (to save me money!) and felt that at the tourney, he wasn't getting the drive off the bat that he was used to.  The following week he was in the Pro Batter cage taking 96MPH fastballs and this is what happened to his Baum after two pitches...Overall a very good investment but he didn't want to get a new one - all wood from then on.

Attachments

Images (2)
  • Abused Baum #1
  • Abused Baum #2
Originally Posted by Baum Bat:
Originally Posted by BaumBat:

With Baum going out of business which will be the Composite BBCOR.50 wood bat of choice?

Does anyone have a Baum Bat (with BBCOR.50 print) they no longer are using and wish to sell it?

FYI- Baum Bat is back in business and going strong! baumbat.com

Good to hear! Congratulations! GREAT product...

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.