Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

True. As do the SEC teams. But in some cases the out of conference schedules are really dragging their overal RPI down, which may come back to haunt them. Duke and NC State are classic examples. Duke should have made the tournament last year but didn't. The only possible explanation (not saying it's a GOOD explanation) is their out of conference RPI, and the fact that they let a couple of those games slip through their fingers.

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Kremer:
Those ACC teams have plenty of strength just playing each other in conference.
ACC has six of the top 20 teams.
quote:
Originally posted by MTH:
Duke should have made the tournament last year but didn't. The only possible explanation (not saying it's a GOOD explanation) is their out of conference RPI, and the fact that they let a couple of those games slip through their fingers.

No way does the committee take both Duke and BC and leave Eastern IL and RI at home...Too many boderline ACC teams. The only way Duke makes it last year is if the committee chooses them over BC.
Ahh, the argument is not as clear as you make it out though. Duke went 1-2 in the conf tournament, while BC went 2-1, plus Duke had a 4 game losing streak coming down the stretch of the season.

Add all that together with a 42 point advantage in the dreaded RPI for BC (29 to 71)...and BC gets the bid.

I see what you mean about head to head, but the one game difference in the total W-L is really wiped out hard by the RPI difference.
quote:
Originally posted by Boyd Nation:
It's not a huge deal, but just to set the record straight, the SoS numbers do include an appropriate adjustment for home/road game location.

Hey Boyd,
Nice of you to drop by and set things straight.

Couple of questions...

Are neutral site games, i.e. Florida trips handled with no adjustment?

Are all home games weighted equally and if so, how much?
Very cool list indeed. However, when looking at this, I think it's equally important to keep in mind the type of conference schedule each plays in comparison to the out of conference schedule. For instance, I believe that a team has virtually no choice of 25-35 of its games (their conference season). For the other 20-30 games, they have generally have a choice the strength of the teams they play. So, when evaluating a team's schedule, look at the out of conference rankings too to see what kind of schedule the program is trying to put together. After all, a coach cannot control the strength of the other teams in its conference, but they may schedule better OOC opponents.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.