Skip to main content

Since CADad has abandoned me hopefully someone else can chime in here for the CIF Southern Section predictions.

I can only go on what I have seen or heard at this point so I will start with the Channel League where my son plays. All teams have lost a significant number of seniors and are fielding very young teams with the exception of San Marcos, so they have a chance to take the League title for the first time in a long time. Dos Pueblos has a shot also if their pitching holds up, any other team could come out of nowhere if their young players step up.

Pacific View League is Oxnard’s to lose. They are the class of the league hands down. Hueneme has a chance with a strong returning group. They can beat anyone with Jesus Valdez on the mound so they have a slight chance at knocking Oxnard off. Camarillo will also be young and should come in third.

Marmonte. Help,.. have not heard too much other than perennial powerhouse Simi is ranked 6th in the coaches poll. Newbury Park kicked out their coach so they are most likely in a rebuilding mode. I know Moorpark has a good young group coming up but they are probably a year away from a strong team. I don’t know about TO and Westlake.

Foothill. My friend from Hart thinks that Valencia behind Christian Lopes is the team to beat, but I see that Saugus is ranked in the coaches’ poll. Hart/Valencia/Saugus will probably beat each other’s brains out and the League winner should go far in the playoffs.

In the coaches poll I see the usual suspects ranked at the top, Mater Dei, Wilson L/B, Crespi is ranked but at 7th.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have a feeling it will be a battle between Crespi, Notre Dame of Sherman Oaks and Loyal for league title. Alemany could surprise despite losing a big bat to Valencia. Chaminade has a strong defense but lacks depth in pitching.

I believe Valencia's weakness will be pitching. Their heavy bats will be Christian Lopes, Dylan Jones and Trey Williams.
Last edited by MTS
From LA Times this morning:

Sometimes I feel like I am talking to myself around here......

http://www.latimes.com/sports/...ar02,0,6334152.story

Few Highlights:

Rk. Team
1 MATER DEI
2 EL TORO
3 CAPISTRANO VALLEY
4 SIMI VALLEY
6 NORTHVIEW
7 NORCO
8 SHERMAN OAKS NOTRE DAME
9 BISHOP AMAT
11 ROYAL
12 ORANGE LUTHERAN
13 PATRIOT
14 LAKEWOOD
15 OXNARD
16 VALENCIA
17 PARAMOUNT
18 LANCASTER
19 EDISON
20 SOUTH HILLS
21 REDLANDS EAST VALLEY
22 CLEVELAND
23 CORONA SANTIAGO
24 SAUGUS
25 DANA HILLS
Here are the records of the So Cal teams that were ranked by the LA Times in the preseason poll.

Rk. Team
1 MATER DEI 3-2
2 EL TORO 5-2
3 CAPISTRANO VALLEY 3-2
4 SIMI VALLEY 4-2
6 NORTHVIEW 5-1
7 NORCO 3-2
8 SHERMAN OAKS NOTRE DAME 5-1
9 BISHOP AMAT 2-3
11 ROYAL 5-1
12 ORANGE LUTHERAN 7-1
13 PATRIOT 3-3
14 LAKEWOOD 7-2
15 OXNARD 4-2
16 VALENCIA 3-2
17 PARAMOUNT 1-6
18 LANCASTER 3-5
19 EDISON 4-1
20 SOUTH HILLS 3-4
21 REDLANDS EAST VALLEY 2-3
22 CLEVELAND 4-2
23 CORONA SANTIAGO 1-3-1
24 SAUGUS 2-3
25 DANA HILLS 3-2

No undefeated teams on the list. Crespi which is unlisted is 6-0. They knockedoff #4 Simi Valley and #22 Cleveland.
Last edited by MTS
quote:
Originally posted by MTS:
Here are the records of the So Cal teams that were ranked by the LA Times in the preseason poll.

Rk. Team
0. Special MTS Ranking Crespi 6-0
1 MATER DEI 3-2
2 EL TORO 5-2
3 CAPISTRANO VALLEY 3-2
4 SIMI VALLEY 4-2
6 NORTHVIEW 5-1
7 NORCO 3-2
8 SHERMAN OAKS NOTRE DAME 5-1
9 BISHOP AMAT 2-3
11 ROYAL 5-1
12 ORANGE LUTHERAN 7-1
13 PATRIOT 3-3
14 LAKEWOOD 7-2
15 OXNARD 4-2
16 VALENCIA 3-2
17 PARAMOUNT 1-6
18 LANCASTER 3-5
19 EDISON 4-1
20 SOUTH HILLS 3-4
21 REDLANDS EAST VALLEY 2-3
22 CLEVELAND 4-2
23 CORONA SANTIAGO 1-3-1
24 SAUGUS 2-3
25 DANA HILLS 3-2

No undefeated teams on the list. Crespi which is unlisted is 6-0. They knockedoff #4 Simi Valley and #22 Cleveland.

Now they are ranked.
I agree with you that with Jesus pitching, Hueneme is going to reign. I wish I could say my leaugue, Frontier, will be dominant. We are all pretty much small schools, but there is some talent hidden there, too.

St. Bonaventure used to be a powerhouse, but I think they are struggling this year, too. We played Crespi in basketball playoffs, they have a hugs school of guys to choose from... lots of arms to toss there too.
Big shake up. Crespi lost 2 games to Thousand Oaks in a Saturday double header. Muckey usually stacks his team to win the 1st game and plays his bench in the 2nd game. Perhaps he was looking to have rested pitching for the important league game against Notre Dame on Tuesday. Sure enough Crespi won over Notre Dame of Sherman Oaks 2-1. Alemany lost to Harvard Westlake 1-2. Chaminade and St Francis tied 7-7 called on darkness.
quote:
St. Bonaventure used to be a powerhouse, but I think they are struggling this year, too. We played Crespi in basketball playoffs, they have a hugs school of guys to choose from... lots of arms to toss there too.

St Bonnie was a "powerhouse" in a very very weak league, so although they had decent teams in the past they were never Div I or II level teams. This year they are very young. Oaks should win their division easily although they are also very young.

Kind of taking the Marmonte thread I just checked the standings.

Marmonte:

Simi and Royal are both 5-2 and looks like they will be 1-2 in league, a little surprising is Westlake and NPark at 4-3. One of them may make playoffs also.

Pacific:

No surprise with Oxnard at 6-2 but I am surprised with Camarillo at 6-2 and Hueneme at 4-4. I think lack of depth is catching up with Hueneme and the "kids" at Camarillo must be playing well.

Channel:

Not too many games played yet but all teams are at 2-2. The next two weeks will determine who rises from the mediocrity.
Last edited by BOF
Got around to checking the standings with two weeks to go.

Marmonte:

Simi has locked up top spot with Royal a shaky second. I think Royal is better than they have been playing. Westlake and Newbury Park have a shot.

Pacific View:

Oxnard is a lock with Hueneme/Camarillo/Rio Mesa all at 7-4. I believe Hueneme will pull through in second with Camarillo third, but it could go any way.

Channel:

Ventura, Dos Pueblos and Buena all have a shot. San Marcos IMO never played to their capability and are out of it. I give Ventura the edge with DP a close second. Either one could end up on top with a slight chance for Buena.

Foothill:

Westranch is leading Valencia by one game in the L column. Both will go to the playoff's, with Saugus most likely making them also. What the heck happened to Hart? Let's all give Canyon a minute of silence at 0-11.
Last edited by BOF
It on the front page of the local paper today.

They have two games scheduled this week and one next week. They should be able to make up the other game next week, but this will stress their pitching. Don't know how deep they are, but they have Simi, Calabasas and TO. I think I would pitch a junkballer (if they have one) one to Simi and hope for the best. Play for the win against TO and Calabasas. That would put them at 8-5.
They are going to play and practice this week.

They probably don't have much chance against Simi regardless but they should be favored vs. Calabasas. The TO game will probably be a tossup as TO will throw Thomson and he should be pretty solid vs. NP. The season will probably come down to NP vs. TO and Moorpark vs. Westlake on the 13th unless Westlake or NP runs off 2 wins or Moorpark or TO runs off 2 losses this week.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.