Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@Consultant posted:

Baseball Insights:

That is a great summary. I noticed that over 40% of the 6,489 California baseball players are playing Junior College baseball.

Bob

We left the analysis to keep playing baseball.

Here is the link to that you can use to review the numbers for California

https://collegebaseballinsight...ation-insights-free/

Note, you can toggle through the years to see the trends.

Note, we have to do some additional data clean as for about 10 percent of the players have incorrect or missing hometown/State/country

Very interesting.  Thanks!  loved the intro with the showcase example.    Are these totals for all levels of HS or just varsity?

I appreciate the free content, but just thought I’d give my feedback.  Shooting from the hip here as it’s late. I don’t think this is an accurate statement

You’re interested in playing college baseball, but what are your chances of making it to the next level? While many tout national probability as gospel, it turns out your odds of playing at the next level vary greatly depending on where you live.

IMO, the odds in big sport participation states are skewed because of participation level.  I’m in Texas but the same probably holds true for CA, FL, and other warmer states… We have huge participation numbers starting as young as 8u and younger   Blame the Astros and now the Rangers probably (TBD).  My son’s school carried at least 20% more kids than needed across soph, JV, and Varsity teams.  Rough guesses here… 40% of the players at his school won’t ever get a glance from any college, and another 40% are middle of the pack and probably won’t either.  So 20% have a shot and only around 9.2% of those kids find a spot on a college roster.  

Nothing wrong with your numbers btw.  I just don’t think it’s a factor of where you live by region.  I think there are way too many other factors involved to say where you live is even close to THE factor that affects the percentages in a state because there are so many variables: parents, opportunities for growth or competition through youth, days of warm weather, HS roster sizes, competition with other sports   Warm weather and opportunities are probably the biggest factors.  The ‘where you live’ theory would probably prove out if the warm states were grouped together instead of geographically close states with huge weather differences.  

Anyway, I enjoyed the information and the thought provoking aspect of the article.  I’ll probably even crunch some numbers tomorrow instead of working.  🤣

@TexasLefty posted:

Very interesting.  Thanks!  loved the intro with the showcase example.    Are these totals for all levels of HS or just varsity?

I appreciate the free content, but just thought I’d give my feedback.  Shooting from the hip here as it’s late. I don’t think this is an accurate statement

You’re interested in playing college baseball, but what are your chances of making it to the next level? While many tout national probability as gospel, it turns out your odds of playing at the next level vary greatly depending on where you live.

IMO, the odds in big sport participation states are skewed because of participation level.  I’m in Texas but the same probably holds true for CA, FL, and other warmer states… We have huge participation numbers starting as young as 8u and younger   Blame the Astros and now the Rangers probably (TBD).  My son’s school carried at least 20% more kids than needed across soph, JV, and Varsity teams.  Rough guesses here… 40% of the players at his school won’t ever get a glance from any college, and another 40% are middle of the pack and probably won’t either.  So 20% have a shot and only around 9.2% of those kids find a spot on a college roster.  

Nothing wrong with your numbers btw.  I just don’t think it’s a factor of where you live by region.  I think there are way too many other factors involved to say where you live is even close to THE factor that affects the percentages in a state because there are so many variables: parents, opportunities for growth or competition through youth, days of warm weather, HS roster sizes, competition with other sports   Warm weather and opportunities are probably the biggest factors.  The ‘where you live’ theory would probably prove out if the warm states were grouped together instead of geographically close states with huge weather differences.  

Anyway, I enjoyed the information and the thought provoking aspect of the article.  I’ll probably even crunch some numbers tomorrow instead of working.  🤣

Here is a link to the statistics https://members.nfhs.org/participation_statistics

With respect to accuracy of statement, we understand there are many variables, some more clear than others, the objective by Keep Playing Baseball was to provide some additional context vs what is normally provided by NCAA at a very high level.

You are correct, the goal was to make people think vs going with the same assumption.

BTW, here is a link to the check out the state participation visually for any state/country

https://collegebaseballinsight...ation-insights-free/

There will more ways we can represent the information.

Thanks for your feedback.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.