Skip to main content

I hope you don't mind but I really enjoyed last years thread so I thought I would start one for this year.
My son is a freshman pitcher at a D1. I have gotten no real info from him on how things are going. I tried to give him space because I know his schedule is busy.  I finally just texted him to ask if he was still alive. His response "barely but I haven't passed out or thrown up yet and I've made it to all of my classes, so all's good."

How is everyone else doing?
Last edited by baseballmomx4
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'm sad to say my son is having a nerve conduction study on his arm as I write this. He is having issues with his throwing arm, but thankfully the trainers and doctor feel certain it is the ulnar nerve and nothing structural. He is doing really well with the conditioning drills and I really think the fact that he was on campus for summer semester really helped with that. He did good in his summer classes and so far, so good this fall. I wish everyone's son health, as this is one thing out of their control. My son is really frustrated that he is not able to be competing on the field right now. The doc has suggested ulnar nerve transposition and son is just ready to get on with the surgery and rehab so he can get back on the field.

BBMom, you have me laughing....I was wondering how he (and you!) were doing.  Glad he has made it this far without missing any classes or any pukies!  We were at a local college this weekend; noticed lots of kids being helped/carried down the sidewalks after tailgating.  Guessing they never made it to the game and are not faring as well as your son.

Younggun, I hope your son has a speedy recovery and that he gets back on the field quickly.

Originally Posted by baseballmomx4:
I hope you don't mind but I really enjoyed last years thread so I thought I would start one for this year.
My son is a freshman pitcher at a D1. I have gotten no real info from him on how things are going. I tried to give him space because I know his schedule is busy.  I finally just texted him to ask if he was still alive. His response "barely but I haven't passed out or thrown up yet and I've made it to all of my classes, so all's good."

Dont be upset. First semester is a grind and a big adjustment. They dont have time to miss anyone.

I didnt hear much from son, but texting wasnt big then. I got a call when the atm didnt spitback money or how to wash clothes properly. In more ways than one, they still need us.

Originally Posted by TPM:

Dont be upset. First semester is a grind and a big adjustment. They dont have time to miss anyone.

I didnt hear much from son, but texting wasnt big then. I got a call when the atm didnt spitback money or how to wash clothes properly. In more ways than one, they still need us.

I guess things haven't changed much since 2004. Got the first call about washing whites

and for extra $$ to pay for a physical this week. First official practice coming up Saturday, but he's been in the gym, cage and on the field pretty much every day since moving in.

Congratulations for your boys, and younggun I hope your player turns out ok.

I hope I am not in violation for posting this, lol. My baseball player is still a HS Soph, but my Fastpitch Catcher started her Freshman year this fall, and I am excited for her. First team workout in the weight room at 6AM! Hitting in the cage tonight at 7PM. and classes, study and nap in between. She is going to be a busy girl! She is thrilled to be part of the team and a little anxious as she is competing for a spot with two other catchers. I am real proud of her and happy to see her adjusting so well to college life.

I gave my son space to do his own thing, but after day 1 a few short texts,came through and eventually a phone call.

He was a little upset his initial testing had him a little slower than he was used to, but he had added 13 lbs since we dropped him off with unlimited access to food like chicken breasts and all that...

Right now everyone just trying to survive the workouts, find thier role/spot, and getting to know other players and coaches...

My son is learning a new position because they have a need, so my only advice was take lots of extra reps, and make sure you are hitting.

Other than that i think he is just the normal freshman year homesick and adjusting.

Young Gun.  My son had the surgery in January and was back playing by May.  He started throwing again in late March.  It did take him until almost mid July before he was back to full strength.  He was in the same position as your son last fall.  Tried to play thru the pain but got to a point he couldn't throw the ball without pain.  Injuries stink but he will be fine.

First official practice today.  After the first day of "individual workouts" 2 weeks ago, RC asked my son "do you still want to play INF and Pitch?"  Son said yes...RC said "Ok, I'm fine with that"...so things are good so far.  We'll see what happens once the whole team is together this afternoon.  Intrasquad this Thursday already and Pro Scout day next Monday....so they are ridiculously busy.  Hasn't said much other than "good" when I ask how things are going.  Sounds like that's the typical response...lol

With regard to the rigors of college life....he has one of those crazy new watches that tells how far you walk...by magic I guess     As of today...after 3 weeks, it is saying he has walked 110 miles....11 just on the first day of classes alone.  Guess he won't get fat!!

Last edited by Buckeye 2015
Originally Posted by MidAtlanticDad:
Originally Posted by TPM:

I guess things haven't changed much since 2004. Got the first call about washing whites

and for extra $$ to pay for a physical this week. First official practice coming up Saturday, but he's been in the gym, cage and on the field pretty much every day since moving in.

I love reading about all your kids. Good luck to everyone.

My son had his first HS fall ball game last night. First time ever wearing white pants (not sure how we escaped that one for all these years). I looked at him and told him he would have a great time getting those clean of the grass stains. He's been doing his own laundry since the age of 12, at his own insistence. I guess that's one call/text I won't get when the time comes.

No sooner did I start this thread did my son call and ask me to go on the bookstore website and order him a book (read: pay for) so he could just run in and pick it up.  I tried to get some rapid fire Q&A in that brief call. Not much info other than everything is going good and they are all just tired. They have their first fall game Sunday and he will get a chance to pitch, so I guess I will try to take a ride. Baseball Chauffeur, I did clarify his no passing out or throwing up comment to make sure it was about the workouts and not from partying.��It was.

I wish everyone's kids a healthy successful fall, and keep the stories and updates coming.

younggun, how did the nerve study go?

No sooner did I start this thread did my son call and ask me to go on the bookstore website and order him a book (read: pay for) so he could just run in and pick it up. 

I know this is not baseball related, but I have learned over the years that there is a MUCH cheaper way to get books than thru the campus bookstore.  There are 3 different websites you can go to and purchase and even better, rent textbooks.  Chegg.com, Amazon.com and Volarebooks.com.  My son's first semester, we paid well over $500 to purchase books at the campus bookstore.  Since then, we have been renting them from one of these three sites and have saved a TON of money.  Sometimes, you still have to buy them, but we have found it's a much more cost effective way to rent them.  They usually get to the student within 2 or 3 days.  At the end of the semester, you go back to the website and print out a shipping label (for free) and ship them back.

Thought you might be interested...

Originally Posted by baseballmomx4

younggun, how did the nerve study go?

Thanks for asking.  It just confirmed the team docs diagnosis.  Son is to meet with the doc today or tomorrow and I think will have the surgery performed on Thursday.  Thank you very much to each of you that have reached out through PM.  It is good to hear from those that have walked through this before.  The doc assures me it is pretty straight forward, but surgery is still surgery and I guess I will never feel peace until the day my son hangs up his cleats.  I really never worry to much about his performance, I mean what can I do about that anyway?  I just pray for health and that he perform to his ability.  Not much more I can ask for.  Again, thanks and I appreciate the words of encouragement. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.